Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2016, 01:11 PM   #15

as someone who drives I-95 every year I can't believe this isn't a daily occurrence on that interstate. I almost break out in hives everytime I'm on it. Some of the worst drivers I've ever seen. We're north of where all that happened at but I'm sure it's the same traffic. The first year we came down from DC to Richmond. Now I cut diagonally across VA and come out about halfway between them to limit my time on 95. I-64 east out of Richmond isn't any better. That whole trip is a nightmare hauling. It's 100% due to the type of drivers on the roads there too. They go too fast, they care about no one, and they don't pay attention.
0rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2016, 09:44 AM   #16
IC2

It really doesn't make any difference which highway or interstate you are driving, there is just too much impatience. For instance, I-87 near Saratoga Springs during the yearly August horse racing scene can be a barely moving parking lot - but there is always someone who thinks they are beyond rational people. A couple years ago I was passed on the right by an econobox at an exit while driving my fairly big truck (an '06 F350FX4). Of course he got no further then between me and the car just ahead. My headlights are always strong aftermarket piece and aimed as high as legal. He got the message and sent his 'thanks' with a single finger wave.

Then there are the entrance ramps where no one seems to want to look to see if there is any oncoming traffic .... occasionally gets real dicey. And of course, there is the driver that decides to exit - from the far left lane as he is passing.

Next is the guy who decides to brake check you or someone else with the ensuing scramble by all to whoa up.

Ahhhhh! The joys of driving
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:56 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Last Summer I had our air brake pads replaced with more aggressive ones. I wasn't happy with the braking effect I had. These new ones are a lot better.

On our last trip I had a fellow cut in front of me and slam on the brakes to make an off ramp. I set the brakes so hard the mattress slid off the bed. He's one lucky fella.

As I slam on the brakes my left hand is always reaching to be sure the exhaust brake is activated as well.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:02 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
People have gotten crazy on the road. They are only interested in their time frame and nothing else.

I think before I retire and we start to travel we better get a dash cam for our Class A.
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:40 PM   #19

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think more time and emphasis should be spent on how to drive around large vehicles in driver education. Would be a great idea to have public service announcements on the subject, as well. Of course, common courtesy being thought in school and at home would also help, but apparently that is an outdated concept.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:27 AM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Safety Cushion!!

I experienced a RF blow out on a large transit Thomas built bus driving with students. It was not hard to control at all.

Driving for Arrow Stage Lines and the school district we have monthly driver safety training and meetings. Along with periodic ride-a-long by a safety / trainer.

There are a number of important things but perhaps at the top of the list is Space Cushion or Safety Cushion.

I remember a time with Arrow, I was with another driver and a semi was passing him and started to come over. I yelled at him, "he's coming over, he's coming over, the driver was zoned straight ahead not even watching what was passing him and clipped his mirror with his trailer.

You have to be looking, R/L, check mirrors frequently, especially with people passing you. There are many of these fools who are on chemicals of some type, tired or a combination of both so good defensive driving is critical.
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:42 PM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Dash CAM

I for one try not to change lanes any more than necessary. I drive 60-65 in the right lane and try to give the lane to on coming traffic, if safe to do so. I can not stand the idiot who thinks a Class A coach with tow'd can just "move over" for them as they try to merge into the lane I occupy, only to get upset that I am there. Or the ones who jump in front of me at traffic lights and slow down, only to force me to apply more braking so I don't push them into the intersection or the car ahead.

I want to get a dash Cam, not sure which make/model but maybe something with a Chip to record several hours of travel.

Any suggestions?
W3SI is offline   Reply With Quote