Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2011, 01:53 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
gray water holding tanks

We are filling our gray water tanks after one day. I think our motorhome has 100 gal. fresh and 50 gal. each for black and gray.
It's just my wife and me ,we can fill the gray tank fast. one shower each a day. Is this Normal? I understand that 50 gals. is 50 gals. we must be using 50 gal. just wondering what everybody else are doing.
thanks
Mark1505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2011, 02:00 PM   #2
CD

If you are standing in the shower for 1/2 hr, you are probably using that much water. If you turn on shower, wet down, shut off the water until you are soaped and cleaned then rince off you won't use so much water.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 02:02 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

We're pretty heavy water users too but I don't think we're quite at 50 gal/day. Our tank is 67 gal and a couple of days will fill it. We never boondock so it's not been a problem for us.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 02:59 PM   #4
paz

We have always showered the way Cliff describes in his post above from the time we got our first RV over 40 years ago. It's called a Navy shower.

We still take Navy showers out of habit even though we usually camp where we have full hookups. For those occasions when we don't have full hookups, we can easily go 8 days on our gray tank without even trying. If we are real conscientious, we can go 10 days. Our gray tank is 54 gallons. If we're only staying 3 or 4 days without sewer hookup, we can even do a load of wash.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 04:51 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have two gray tanks (one for shower and rear bath lav, the other kitchen and front bath lav) and a black, all are 36 gallons, and 80 gallon fresh water.

Now, shower, I think is 1 to 1.5 GPM at 45 PSI. You can do the math. A long shower does indeed fill the tank very quickly.

Things that will help:

First: The dealer told me the shower had a cut off valve this slows the flow of water to, depending on the age, either zero (Older units) or a slow dribble) newer ones, this helps prevent a sudden blast of either hot or cold when you re-open the valve) if you don't have one, any hardware store can sell you one, they are standard size (1/2 inch IPT), As I said, salesman said it had one.. And now, (that I've added it) it does.

Two, Oxygenics shower head,, More shower per gallon, or so I'm told (Do not have one)
Old 05-15-2011, 05:29 PM   #6

Just came back from a Thurs-Sun campout. With 2 showers/day, doing dishes, etc (no laundry) the gray tank was filled Saturday evening. We had full hookups, so I dumped; no problem. The black tank was barely 1/3 full.

We have 90 gal fresh water; 54 gal black, 47 gray (why more black than gray??).

When we know we need to stretch the gray tank, we use a dish pan to collect dish washing water, and then dump it in the black tank (toilet). We then can go 6-7 days with conserving water - Navy showers, etc. (Make sure to check there's no silverware in dish water before dumping into black tank -- don't ask why I know this....)
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:31 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Showering with a friend saves water also and you got someone to wash your back. HEHEHEHEHEH.. just a thought.....

Memorial day is May 30. thank a vet for your freedoms
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:37 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mark1505 - is it possible your tank sensors are misreading the levels? If they have an accumulation of soap residue and/or grease buildup they may be giving false readings. A good rinsing or application of a degreasing agent might help.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:37 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Doing what has been previously posted a 65 gallon grey water tank will last 8 days with two people.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:53 PM   #10

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Our previous RV, a Newmar Kountry Star, had a 65 gallon tank and we could go 3 full days with 6 showers and light dishwashing and handwashing and the tank would just start showing full at the end of the 3rd day.

Practice "Navy" showers and pretty soon you will see how long you can stretch that grey tank capacity.

Faith
fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:39 AM   #11

we use alot of water, on our trip i left the valve open on the gray tank let it run through the sewer hose full time and before i unhooked i would run ten or fifteen gallons into the tank to flush the sewer hose after draining the black tank.
it worked out fine and the wife and i didn't have to scrimp on our showers but that only will work if hooked up
pwf16129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:41 AM   #12

Conserve, conserve, conserve. You are not hooked to a city sewer. Play the "See how little water we can use" game. After a while it becomes a habit.

Using the water normal for me while boondocking I can go a week on my 70 gallons of fresh water. If I really get serious, I can go two weeks. My black and gray are also 70 gal. Black tank at least 3 weeks. Gray tank at least 2 weeks. I do not use paper products for plates etc.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:30 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
What the others said...navy showers, conserve on washing, use minimal for flushing and brushing etc. We have a 60 gallon grey tank and easily last a week on that, going to 2 weeks with a tad more conservation and more if we really need to.

If you're interested I actually wrote a post on this some time ago here https://wheelingit.wordpress.com/201...r-on-the-road/
Old 05-16-2011, 07:45 PM   #14

Leave it to CJ to find the most conservative method.

I thought our old Alpine, with 80 gal. Gray and 80 gallon Black (as a Submariner and NSWU, I like long hot showers) would be a problem. Not so.

With "Navy" showers, our Phoenix with only 23 gallons of Gray capacity, is good for a few days.

If you're on City water, I'd check for leaks between the City water and Gray tank.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote