Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2013, 09:46 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Hail Damage

Not sure to file a claim or not. We had hail Friday night and today I noticed that there is a small crack from a hail stone about the size of a 1/2 dime in the Fiberglass siding. I am thinking about taking a Qtip with a dab of silicone sealant same color as siding to close it. There is only one in the siding (thank heaven) But the metal roof is loaded with dings from the hail none went thru though. Its a 82 Pace Arrow with only 48,000 miles and is in really great shape. There is no other damage on the MH, Not sure if it can be fixed being that old.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0465.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	731.1 KB
ID:	41238  
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2013, 11:10 PM   #2

Claim might fall into that "Act of God" and be denied. The report goes on your clue report that insurance company makes out on claims. Is it worth the try? I'd like to get it repaired too, but wonder about that clause in all policies. Now if the dents from hail punctured thru roof, I'd probably try claim.
Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:00 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You got lucky, We had two hail storms come through the other Park I stay at one week to the day ago. Sequence.

I started cooking dinner (Using electric) Lights went out, Confirmed general power fail and fired generator, As I re-entered from installing Gen-Turi it started raning, as I closed the door behind me quarter inch hail, then it cleared.. about 6:45pm I took the kitty out, nice and clear, a few minutes after 7 the hail returned half inch this time, Kitty was glad to re-enter roofed enclosure. My damage total: Near as I can tell $0.00.. However over 2 dozen lost awnings, vent covers, and other damage to their Motor homes and trailers (My awning was out too). (Well anchored).

Then Wed.. Brat came by with his paint scratcher, Did minor damage to my rig (Not sure he did it) scrathed his vandal signature tag in the car next door (IDIOT, signed his work) and found himself... Camping elsewhere the next day.

The kind of camp where they don't give you a gate pass.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne MD View Post
Claim might fall into that "Act of God" and be denied. The report goes on your clue report that insurance company makes out on claims. Is it worth the try? I'd like to get it repaired too, but wonder about that clause in all policies. Now if the dents from hail punctured thru roof, I'd probably try claim.
Hail is covered under Comprehensive (or Other-than-Collision) section of your policy. There is no exclusion for "act of god" in any vehicle policy I've seen, and I've been doing insurance/claims/risk management for 25 years.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:19 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Hail would be covered by insurance, but the cost to replace the entire roof may exceed the value of the coach? Bottom line, how bad are the dents? I doubt the dents have affected the integrity of the roof. The molding that was damaged has probably been weakened by years of sun exposure - and you're lucky it wasn't worse.

Just as an aside - 1/4 inch hail, if you're inside the rig, will sound like you've just become part of world war three, but it generally takes stones approaching 3/4s of an inch to start doing wide spread damage. Unless you live in parts of Texas or Oklahoma, you probably can't even imagine what softball sized hail can do!
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:50 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
Hail would be covered by insurance, but the cost to replace the entire roof may exceed the value of the coach? Bottom line, how bad are the dents? I doubt the dents have affected the integrity of the roof. The molding that was damaged has probably been weakened by years of sun exposure - and you're lucky it wasn't worse.

Just as an aside - 1/4 inch hail, if you're inside the rig, will sound like you've just become part of world war three, but it generally takes stones approaching 3/4s of an inch to start doing wide spread damage. Unless you live in parts of Texas or Oklahoma, you probably can't even imagine what softball sized hail can do!
Thanks, It wasn't a piece of trim its the siding.
Yes we had a hail storm years ago and I had to have the steel siding on the S&B replaced, it was a mess. I don't think it will affect the roof. I just wasn't sure if it was worth the headache to file a claim. I just thought I would ask and see what wood be said about filing.

Thank you, Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:05 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Aluminum siding on an RV is very thin and dents much more easily than what is typically used on a house. Years ago the aluminum siding on our house was hit. It did not dent the siding but it 'cleaned' the oxidation off where ever it hit. Our house looked like it had measles! We had it power washed to remove all of the oxidation and all was well.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:52 AM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Silicon makes a temporary repair, but to keep the integrity of your panel, I'd use fiberglass resin. Failure of your filling the crack with silicon could lead to water entry and delamination. On the roof, you could try using dry ice to pop the dents out, especially those that are visible from the ground.
How to Remove dents from your car with dry ice « Auto Maintenance & Repairs

Years ago I stopped in Scottsbluff, NE when 3 inch hail fell. It destroyed 3 rental vans I was leading out to Yellowstone. (They were drivable, one side mirror destroyed and one windshield cracked, all flat surfaces pounded.) As we sheltered at a Texas Steakhouse (Corrugated roof) We commiserated with a lady who was 'enjoying' dinner after picking up her new car. As we stood in the center of the dining room, ice balls bounced off the sidewalk and hit the windows, we could see her new car's rear window shatter and her back seat fill with ice. Across from our hotel a Chevy dealer had EVERY vehicle on his lot wrecked. Around town all the trees had been stripped of their leaves, it was strange seeing folks raking up huge piles of green leaves. At a farm supply I stopped to get a temporary side mirror I talked to a farmer who had over a 100 cattle killed or blinded by the hail.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote