Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2014, 07:55 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
I'm not sure if she still does this but we knew a woman that kept renewing her mothers tag for her own use even though she was deceased. Lazy does not qualify for a tag IMHO.

My examples are of people we know are not truly disabled abusing the system. I do understand that every disability is not obvious.

Honor system only works with honorable people.

Sorry if I stirred up a hornets nest here.

EDIT: We have another friend with only one leg. I think he deserves his tag.
HD4Mark
!
Many disabilities that qualify one for a handicap parking tag are not obvious.

BTW, I often see elderly people park in spaces clearly labelled "Senior Parking Only" who don't look a bit Spanish.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2014, 08:10 AM   #16

Handicap spots

My "solution" to this non-problem is simple. I park far from the main entrance and walk to the entry. Benefits are many.
Fewer dings from shopping carts.
Good exercise, and healthy for me.
Can nearly always find a spot on first pass.
Saves fuel by not cruising, looking for a close spot.
Avoids near misses by those backing out of tight upfront spots.
Allows me to walk in feeling good, not po'd.

Probably more, but that's enough self-righteousness for now.

GL Arnold
Old 03-20-2014, 09:42 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chow5656 View Post
IMO you should have to have a PLATE on the car or truck not something that JR can take and hang on the mirror of any car. And if you can craw up into a lifted pick up truck or SUV you can walk from the parking lot!!!!
I have a lifted GMC 4x4 7.5 inch lift with 38" tires.
When I have my mother in law with me I put the tag on the mirror and pull my step out of back and help that 90 year old 103lb lady in and out. She loves to ride in that truck!

We have the mirror tags because at 90 she does not have a vehicle registered to her. But still should be able to use the handicap parking.

If I have a transport chair with me then most of the time I park way out in the lot away from everyone and wheel her in.

I do agree that there is a lot of misuse of handicap parking tags but not all can have a plate.
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:51 AM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First as someone who actually qualifies for handicapped parking even though I do not have the tags.. I can tell you there are many handicapps you can not easily see.

The person in the chair, that one is obvious, Mr Two Canes (A character from a book so nicnamed because he walked with two canes) likewise. But some.. it is not so easy... Heart issues which give you a robust appearance.. but if you walk too far you crash.. Neuropathy (Same issue) (By the way I have or have had both) and other things qualify you for handicapped parking but even someone trained may not be able to see the qualification.

On the other hand some folks the only handicap is mental.

Where you are sure it is abuse.. Well, you should report any legal violations and as it turns out depending on how they decide to go about it this can be a serious one indeed (False submission to the government is generally a felony). But alas.. I have yet to hear of a case where false obtaining of a handicapped permit was prosecuted.

As for the "You must have a plate"

When my MIL broke her Hip, she got a six month permit, Plates are good for a year. So, the hang tag it is.. Plus since I normally drove her the plates would have gone on her car which, given her other problems, was rendered safe by the simple means of making sure it was not driven long enough for the battery to become a very big paper weight. I'd put the hang tag on MY mirror when taking her someplace.. My wife when she was chauffering her mother, or my daughter if she was driving Grandma... The rest of the time it went in Grandma's purse.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:19 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
I had someone report me once while I was working on getting the step out of my truck that I use for my mother in law.

Cops came checked my plates license and registration her handicap Registration and ID whole thing prolly took 30 mins.

Which didn't bother me. But during that time we as tax payers paid him to do this and also durning that time I held up a handicap parking area that some other person could not use.

So be careful who you report.

While on this topic I had a guy make a comment about my lifted truck in a handicap parking area. I explained to him about my mother in law. Then I watched him leave his empty shopping cart in a handicap space. And he was not handicap nor even parked in a handicap space.

Needless to say. My wife cringes when I see someone do this as she knows all to well how I react.
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:31 AM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The other side of this coin is when I see someone who may well qualify for a permit not have one and walk, with cane or crutch to their destination. Even some using a chair. I see someone not wanting to give in to their infirmities and not accepting any special treatment because of them. Kind of reminds me of me. I respect that.

Certainly there are many cases, and in the last two years of her life my mother was one, requiring for specific reasons a permit. They have my respect as well.

Anyone who would cheat, and there are many, also cheat at other things. Who knows their motivation? I certainly do not but I can't tell by looking at them if they qualify or not. The guy who recently at a hotel where I was staying parked in the zone, hung up the tag, and sprinted up two flights of stairs to his room. I'm guessing but I think he was cheating or taking advantage of another's permit. Shame on him, if so. Shame on them all.

Fact is however I cannot tell by looking honestly so I just shake my head and wonder. It seems fortunately in most parking lots these days there are plenty of spots available. A concession to those who would cheat so we can accommodate those who do not.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:03 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
The other side of this coin is when I see someone who may well qualify for a permit not have one and walk, with cane or crutch to their destination. Even some using a chair. I see someone not wanting to give in to their infirmities and not accepting any special treatment because of them. Kind of reminds me of me. I respect that.
Right on!

A few of my relatives are disabled but still try to walk across the parking lot, cane and all (probably because I bug them to exercise). I'm very selective when it comes to granting handicap permits. It all depends on the case. Drives me nuts how some of my colleagues just sign these away. I usually start off with temporary tags if it's questionable, permanent if it's the obvious like diabetes with limb amputations or CHF with an O2 tank . There's a criteria list, unfortunately not everyone reads them.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:03 AM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
I am one who has the hang tag in my car. The plate is on my motorhome (which has no rear view mirror to hang the tag). On some days it might look like I don't have a problem, but you can't see the brace on my foot or the twice broken bones that grow in directions that they shouldn't grow) or the arthritis that makes it very difficult to bend the knees or move my fingers. Apparently SS decided that it was bad enough to qualify me for Disability. Some days I can walk, some days I can't.
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:00 PM   #23

Need for published guidelines on their use

The BMV should give each person, handicapped or not, a list of do's and don'ts when it comes to using a handicapped tag or parking space.

1. Uncle Don should be ticketed for parking in a handicap space if he parks, stays in his car, while his fit niece runs into the store.

2. A teenager using his grandma's handicap sticker will be shot on sight upon running back to his car. Tongue in cheek . . . . . . sort of.

3. Handicap parking areas at major entertainment venues will be gated and manned by a guard that will inquire about the nature of your handicap. (at least that would require some folks to lie out loud to the people in his car)

4. A fit individual using a handicap parking spot will be required to wear a mask for his next shopping trip. The full facial mask will provide air for 15 seconds and then shut off for 45 seconds.

5. It should be legal for someone to run a shuttle business using golf carts at major sporting venues. What a blessing that would be! However, the carts would be packed by the young, rich, and stupid.

6. The current handicap tag needs to display a expiration date. If it is that important to the user, it would not be considered a major nuisance to the user.

7. Supply a pad of "I don't think you should have parked here" post-it notes with the book of guidelines. Everyone could evaluate the condition of every user and slip a note under the windshield when you have a suspicion that they're abusing the system. Tongue in cheek ok

8. Tags can be used ONLY if the intended user is in the vehicle and they are going into the store or office building.

Okay, I'm done ranting

I would probably get a post-it note. Hard to recognize my problems unless you follow me thru the store and see me sitting on a bench after a short walk. Heart disease, shortness of breath, stent, bad back. Able to walk 40-50 yards without stopping for 5 minutes to catch my breath and let my back muscles calm down.

Without a rented electric chair at Disney World, I would have stayed in the MH for 6 days while the family enjoyed the park.
Papawto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:42 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papawto5 View Post
The BMV should give each person, handicapped or not, a list of do's and don'ts when it comes to using a handicapped tag or parking space.

1. Uncle Don should be ticketed for parking in a handicap space if he parks, stays in his car, while his fit niece runs into the store.

2. A teenager using his grandma's handicap sticker will be shot on sight upon running back to his car. Tongue in cheek . . . . . . sort of.

3. Handicap parking areas at major entertainment venues will be gated and manned by a guard that will inquire about the nature of your handicap. (at least that would require some folks to lie out loud to the people in his car)

4. A fit individual using a handicap parking spot will be required to wear a mask for his next shopping trip. The full facial mask will provide air for 15 seconds and then shut off for 45 seconds.

5. It should be legal for someone to run a shuttle business using golf carts at major sporting venues. What a blessing that would be! However, the carts would be packed by the young, rich, and stupid.

6. The current handicap tag needs to display a expiration date. If it is that important to the user, it would not be considered a major nuisance to the user.

7. Supply a pad of "I don't think you should have parked here" post-it notes with the book of guidelines. Everyone could evaluate the condition of every user and slip a note under the windshield when you have a suspicion that they're abusing the system. Tongue in cheek ok

8. Tags can be used ONLY if the intended user is in the vehicle and they are going into the store or office building.

Okay, I'm done ranting

I would probably get a post-it note. Hard to recognize my problems unless you follow me thru the store and see me sitting on a bench after a short walk. Heart disease, shortness of breath, stent, bad back. Able to walk 40-50 yards without stopping for 5 minutes to catch my breath and let my back muscles calm down.

Without a rented electric chair at Disney World, I would have stayed in the MH for 6 days while the family enjoyed the park.
6 and 8 are regulations/laws in MA. We have a hang tag for DD, it has an expiration date and we can't use it when she's not in the car. It also has her picture on it (normally hidden with sliding privacy shield) and a LEO can demand that we show it to him/her to prove that the disabled person is in the car.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:04 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2go View Post
6 and 8 are regulations/laws in MA. We have a hang tag for DD, it has an expiration date and we can't use it when she's not in the car. It also has her picture on it (normally hidden with sliding privacy shield) and a LEO can demand that we show it to him/her to prove that the disabled person is in the car.
Excellent - - That probably "slows down" some potential abusers.
Papawto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:25 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
This is another example of human nature at its worst. Some people will respect the rules, while others will find every way to take advantage of them. It's just the way some people think, and you'll never change that.

A poignant example of this is the people at the gym who will circle the lot to get the closest parking spot to the door. Hellooo? You're there for exercise, walking a little farther won't kill you. Like I said, it's just the way some people are.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:46 PM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
you cant tell by looking at someone i am 57 years old and look fine
but have nerve damage about 80 0/0 gone in my legs do to this
have lots of mussle loss also. i have a card and id plus a service dog
but since i look ok. sounds like many hear think they need to call the police
i for one dont wish what i have and suffer for anyone. dont judge a book
by its cover
kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:06 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
I think that the plate or the hang tag should be required to have the name of the disabled person on it so the police can check these folks when they come back to the car. If the tag is not in the name of the driver of the vehicle then a fine should be issued. I have seen tags on car's that belong to the grandmother used by the grandchild. If the police don't do the job, give the job to someone who needs a job and pay them a percentage of what is collected. Good job for someone......2nd offence do a week in county jail. These people piss me off and I'm not handicapped.

Tags
handicap, handicapped