Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2012, 04:46 PM   #43

Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Isn't it wonderful that we can express our opinons at will and travel where and when we want.
Home base Phoenix Az
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2012, 05:24 PM   #44

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Papers! Vere are your papers?
This whole episode sounds like Nazi Germany circa 1939.
I will say this, if this ever happens to us WITHIN THE UNITED STATES, I will be photographing every move the agents make. And they will NOT enter my motorhome without me being present.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:41 PM   #45

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
The Border patrol has to ask EVERYONE about citizenship so as to avoid being accused of "racial profiling"...
Which is really quite silly since how many illegals are going to admit it?
Old 05-16-2012, 05:45 PM   #46

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
What's a "Maroons"?
A corrupted version of moron. Bugs Bunny is the first one I ever heard use the term.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:54 PM   #47

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
"Harrassed by the Border Patrol today." Not sure it was harassment, but it is annoying to our American sense of 'freedom.' Ben Franklin said best,"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Until we all point out that we see through the 'theatre' of TSA, Border Patrol secondary check points, etc, we are doomed to endure these delays.

While airports are choke points, there is no similar security at train or bus stations. Tankers full of hazardous cargo, Ports with uninspected containers, risks are everywhere, luckily our enemies seem incapable of seeing beyond airplanes. I fly to Australia a few times a year, once in country, there are few restrictions to flying around that country and I don't feel any less safe. TSA and Border Patrol is theatre at best, not real security. While a road at the border might be covered, there are hundreds of miles of unguarded border.

It's theatre. I'd suggest sitting back and enjoying the show, then vote for the people that think like you and try for real change.
Thank you very much! I got a kick out of Robin Williams in Man of the Year when he quipped about U.S. citizens being hasseled and searched at border check points while illegals were walking across the border with livingroom sets on their backs.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:15 PM   #48

border patrol

#1. If they were this diligent 30 years ago ,our country would be much better off.
#2. If you had nothing to hide, then you had nothing to worry about.
#3. For those of you who don't live in the Southwest, smugglers from border towns such as El Paso will in some cases hide drugs under vehicles of unsuspecting people and have a Chase vehicle follow them to there next stop and retrieve the dope!
#4. I for one am glad to see there presence, they are there for our benefit.....Scott
Old 05-16-2012, 06:17 PM   #49

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequim Guy View Post
It's what Bugs Bunny called Elmer Fudd and other idiots.....morons.
As in, "What a maroon.".......
One of my favorite cartoons, back when they had full movement, unlike todays cartoons. We got our first TV sometime around 1960 or earlier. My parents bought that house in 1953 or 4 so it was a little while after that.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:18 PM   #50

There are many checkpoints in AZ and have gone through them many times,
they just ask if you are a citizen or where are you coming from. Never been a
big deal, and my constitutional rights have never been stepped on, nor have
I felt harassed.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:09 PM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequim Guy View Post
There are many checkpoints in AZ and have gone through them many times,
they just ask if you are a citizen or where are you coming from. Never been a
big deal, and my constitutional rights have never been stepped on, nor have
I felt harassed.

See how easily we give up our rights? "Where are you coming from?" What?! How is it acceptable to be asked that by our government? What business is it of theirs' "where we are coming from"?
What if I told them it's none of their business "where I'm coming from"? How is that a crime?
And LadyFitz' point about asking if you are a citizen is right on target. Talk about Security Theater.
If our government did it's job about not allowing illegals into this country in the first place instead of giving a wink and a nod and then harassing retirees at checkpoints miles from the border than we wouldn't have this problem.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:14 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelheadbluesman

Excuse me? Shame on who? Europeans, IMHO, gave up their rights long ago.
This is America. And many Americans don't like being detained and searched without cause.... I hate to be so hard on you.... but I fought with the US Army to protect those rights. Any questions?
Not sure what rights europeans gave up in respect of terrorism ?
If your referring to stop and search or CCTV in main cities it's a price most are prepared to pay to combat bombs on trains , buses , underground etc etc
Old 05-16-2012, 07:37 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Ok! Nuff said. I have had time to calm down and see both sides. We avoid traveling by air and also traveling outside the US in order to avoid things like this. I think what bothered me the most was both of us being in a category I would not consider as someone being profiled, traveling well within the confines of what we consider to be our own sovereign country being detained on what was supposedly the actions of an animal. I am all for protecting our borders and keeping the scum out it just hurts when you find out you too can possibly be one of the scum. Other than loosing some time we were treated curtly but with courtesy. It is just that it is scary to find out what your own government can do to you while it is up to you to prove your innocence.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:57 PM   #54
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
After 911 I don't know how many times this questions was asked in the media;

How did the government let this happen?

I guess it's true you can't have your cake and eat it to
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
Old 05-16-2012, 09:15 PM   #55

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post
Ok! Nuff said. I have had time to calm down and see both sides. We avoid traveling by air and also traveling outside the US in order to avoid things like this. I think what bothered me the most was both of us being in a category I would not consider as someone being profiled, traveling well within the confines of what we consider to be our own sovereign country being detained on what was supposedly the actions of an animal. I am all for protecting our borders and keeping the scum out it just hurts when you find out you too can possibly be one of the scum. Other than loosing some time we were treated curtly but with courtesy. It is just that it is scary to find out what your own government can do to you while it is up to you to prove your innocence.
That's it in a nutshell...glad you figured it out!

Can't expect the folks we hire to protect us to always know who the "bad guys" are- could be anybody, right?

For all they know, that's US!
Old 05-16-2012, 09:21 PM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
As the most famous quote from Pogo says " We have met the enemy and he is us"
Closed Thread