Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2020, 07:05 AM   #15

Age? No. Health got us. DW has severe arthritus in her back, so it ceased being fun. Sold out and now shw is sitting at home waiting to die.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2020, 09:38 AM   #16

Well, at 76 and 74 (not combined) we decided we really need two bathrooms. That's how we ended up last year getting this 45 foot behemoth.

It's OK, but it really takes a lot of effort o get it parked, and finding spots is harder too.

Other than that, we still get along fine. We do like the "luxury" conveniences; we never "camp". We take it all with us.

Tom
Old 08-22-2020, 12:10 PM   #17

I am 71 and my wife is 70 years young, we still use a 5er and have no issues with setting up the 5er!

Why do some of you think a class A DP motor home is easier than a 5er? You still need to level both of these vehicles. Like you we just push the auto level control to level. We both have to extended the slides, connect the water, sewer, and electric cord to the pedestal. The only thing I have to do different is pull the hitch level to release the 5th wheel from the truck. Were you need to un-hook your tow vehicle from the motor home! I don't see the big difference in convince!
Old 08-22-2020, 12:26 PM   #18

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm 70 now, and can't do 20 to 30 mile/day backpack trips any more. As for use of our 5th or MH no changes.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 12:41 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I am 74, the DW is 76. We have a 40 ft Pusher. we have never full timed, we do spend 3 months in the rig in the winter.

I never liked getting on the roof, I do it less than before. I do hire more thing done, than I use to.

The financial hits on our coach over the years have been significant. We have made major upgrades and remodels. I was thinking earlier this year, we should sell out, and use the money for cruises and international travel. Well, we just had to spend two nights in a hotel for our granddaughter’s wedding. We .were miserable!
It’s amazing to me how we take things for granted. We won’t be selling out for some years, after that experience
Old 08-22-2020, 01:32 PM   #20

Biggest change for me when camping is, when I get up in the morning, I have to remember where I put my teeth.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 01:37 PM   #21

We got into RVing about 5 years ago. I was 68 -- my wife was not. We have settled on a 30' ACE, generally considered a "starter" RV. We expected to stay closer to home, but we've been all over the place in that thing. Our best trip so far was Nova Scotia and other points NE. We're leaving Saturday for South Dakota, Montana, Idaho, and other points NW. I'd already been to these places on a motorcycle, and I've looked forward to taking her to see them while we're able.

I'm 73 now, and my wife is not , but as far as RVing we're still hoping for several more years. Of course, there's no way to know, but we're hoping for the best.
Old 08-22-2020, 01:59 PM   #22

I'm 69.8 years old... DW is 60... So I robbed the cradle... big deal! However, health has slowed me down. Still enjoy driving the big rig however and we have made several in-state trips this year. Mostly by ourselves, keeping to ourselves due to Covid. Canceled 2 big cross-country trips again due to Covid. DW wants to see her family who lives in Myrtle Beach, SC which is nearly 1400 miles from Waco in October, but Covid is a pressing concern since I'm the only driver. Don't think we can go.
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 02:08 PM   #23

I am 76 and my companion is 65, the only thing that has slowed us down is the China virus, she is deadly scared of it. Looking forward to this thing being over in November so we can continue with our camping plans
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 07:26 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Age? No. Health got us. DW has severe arthritus in her back, so it ceased being fun. Sold out and now shw is sitting at home waiting to die.
That saddens me Donn. My wife is 73, she was nearly killed in an auto wreck Feb. 2016. She had back surgery that did not go well. She is in constant pain, her Dr. has her on Norco pain med. to make the pain tolorable.
We still go in the MH, just 200-300 miles a day, depending on how she feels.
I hope you and your wife can find a way to enjoy life again, whatever the form it may assume.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 07:43 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommar View Post
I'm 69.8 years old... DW is 60... So I robbed the cradle... big deal! However, health has slowed me down. Still enjoy driving the big rig however and we have made several in-state trips this year. Mostly by ourselves, keeping to ourselves due to Covid. Canceled 2 big cross-country trips again due to Covid. DW wants to see her family who lives in Myrtle Beach, SC which is nearly 1400 miles from Waco in October, but Covid is a pressing concern since I'm the only driver. Don't think we can go.
We go to Fl. and come back to our homebase in NC. No specific length of time in each one. We were in Fl. when Covid hit; staying in an RV Resort. The park quit accepting prior reservations, then no one from outside the park inside nor drive ups.
This went on a few weeks then gradually started opening back up. My husband has all the pre-exsisting conditions; so we both had to be double careful.
We found ordering groceries online for delivery or order and let the grocery store put them in the vehicle worked great. We use Walgreens, so we could use the drive in window. Went we wanted other food, we would either have it delivered or would use a drive through.
boodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 06:18 AM   #26
IC2

Aches and pains are starting to take their toll, especially my wife who has some back degenerative bone problems at the young age of 73. My problem at near 80 is that I have some macular degeneration(ARMD) which requires injections in my eyes. While it's under control, I've lost my night driving ability and long distance clarity. Physically, still doing 99% of what I've always done though slower. That includes changing the oil and filter on my diesel pick up yesterday plus fixing the squawking tailgate Yes, we still RV but this year, only at a seasonal site 3-5 nights a week though are planning a Maine trip for next year - assuming the pandemic is under control
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 06:25 AM   #27

We find we tend to get out and do more when on the road. Food shopping is more often (smaller fridge), more walking, more hiking, etc. Away from the TV and sitting at home. Having your morning coffee in surroundings by a beautiful landscape or just a different location seems to the juices flowing.
Trekkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 07:31 AM   #28

I'm 70. Wife is not. Had open heart surgery May 2019 with 6 bypasses. 6. I always thought there was only 5 arteries. Maybe Doc was offering a special that day. Buy 5 get one free. I don't know if I was stupid or lucky but 5 weeks after surgery I was feeling better and we both had cabin fever. I drove the Class C a short distance to a local State Park and we camped 3 days. You know I think that trip helped me heal faster. Gave me something to look forward to. I have a new pump and no other health problems. Wife is in great health. We hope to RV another 10 years or more. We're currently on a 30 day round Lake Michigan tour. Heading to Florida in November for the winter. We're more concerned about the riots than COVID. We decided everything we needed to know about COVID we learned in kindergarten. Cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze and wash your hands!
TheLuvShack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping