Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2012, 05:53 PM   #15

1stCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2012, 06:57 PM   #16

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Knights View Post
You're joking right? The sound our flag makes is the daily reminder of the lives lost protecting the people that sleep beneath it.
No, I'm not joking. A huge flag flapping in a residential setting is inappropriate as is having a light shining on it all night, destroying the neigbors view of the night sky. If the flag can be heard flapping indoors, it is too big. Besides being an unnecessary annoyance, something like that will also bring down property values. Keep in mind that people's rights stop when they infringe on the rights of others.

I also believe everyone should have the right to fly the flag anywhere at any time and the HOAs, etc. that completely ban it are out of line (I don't have a problem with reasonable limits being set to avoid something excessive). However, anyone flying a flag needs to be reasonable and avoid creating a nuisance.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:05 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ricko, the huge flag is still flying at the old Simplot place (and still makes a lot of noise) here in Boise but it isn't J R's place anymore, after he passed away the family donated it to the State to be used as the governors mansion but Butch Otter won't live there.
Ron
Old 05-31-2012, 07:16 PM   #18

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz...

No, I'm not joking. A huge flag flapping in a residential setting is inappropriate as is having a light shining on it all night, destroying the neigbors view of the night sky. If the flag can be heard flapping indoors, it is too big. Besides being an unnecessary annoyance, something like that will also bring down property values. Keep in mind that people's rights stop when they infringe on the rights of others.

I also believe everyone should have the right to fly the flag anywhere at any time and the HOAs, etc. that completely ban it are out of line (I don't have a problem with reasonable limits being set to avoid something excessive). However, anyone flying a flag needs to be reasonable and avoid creating a nuisance.

Sad, I live right next to a Military base and can't hear the flag but sleep very easy as the attack helicopters do their night missions. A lot of folks complain about that as well but they would complain even more if the Base wasn't here. Wonder how much they would complain if they were under another countries flag that doesn't provide the rights we have.
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:22 PM   #19

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Knights View Post
Sad, I live right next to a Military base and can't hear the flag but sleep very easy as the attack helicopters do their night missions. A lot of folks complain about that as well but they would complain even more if the Base wasn't here. Wonder how much they would complain if they were under another countries flag that doesn't provide the rights we have.
Besides the fact that the base was probably there before your home was built (in which case, you wouldn't have a beef), those choppers are serving a practical purpose. What practical purpose is a gigantic flag serving? Also, the mansion was built after the surrounding homes were built.

I'm not antiflag by any stretch but too much is too much.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post

I am saddened, but not surprised, by your opinion. It seems many are
patriotic until there is some small inconvenience to their lives.
If only I could bring back to life all those who died fighting for that flag,
surely they would want to apologize to you for a noisy flag.

Sequim Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:20 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

OK, I didn't mean to get a feud going here.

I just found this on what's happened to the place in the nearly 30 years since I left. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/16/us/16idaho.html

There's a photo of the place and the flag. Note that it is in the middle of his private 40 acres. He's donated the estate to the state of Idaho but they say the flag is "protected by deed". It's become a Boise landmark and any attempt to change it would not be looked upon kindly.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:54 PM   #22

Is it just me or is it a lot smaller than what you were expecting... maybe football fields are smaller in Idaho?!?!
kat_nda_sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:21 PM   #23

Gulf Streamers Club
LadyFitz... A flag is a symbol, sometimes almost a graven image. I'm as patriotic as the next person, but sometimes it gets a little 'in your face.' Show pride and support of our country by participating in helping to make it better. VOTE. Volunteer. Get involved by supporting the candidate of your choice. We don't have to worship a flag.

As a Boy Scout many years ago, I learned flag etiquette and participated in striking and raising the colors at many events. As a teacher, I supervised the kids that raised and lowered the flag each day in front of our school. I respect the flag. I have a neighbor who has a flag pole in his front yard. The flag is up 24/7, in the dark, in the rain. It is tattered and has faded to a pink, periwinkle, and grey. Not what I would call a respectful patriotic display. A little common sense and respect for others is all I think LadyFitz... is suggesting, as do I.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:50 AM   #24

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
LadyFitz... A flag is a symbol, sometimes almost a graven image. I'm as patriotic as the next person, but sometimes it gets a little 'in your face.' Show pride and support of our country by participating in helping to make it better. VOTE. Volunteer. Get involved by supporting the candidate of your choice. We don't have to worship a flag.

As a Boy Scout many years ago, I learned flag etiquette and participated in striking and raising the colors at many events. As a teacher, I supervised the kids that raised and lowered the flag each day in front of our school. I respect the flag. I have a neighbor who has a flag pole in his front yard. The flag is up 24/7, in the dark, in the rain. It is tattered and has faded to a pink, periwinkle, and grey. Not what I would call a respectful patriotic display. A little common sense and respect for others is all I think LadyFitz... is suggesting, as do I.
Thank you! You obviously get it and we share the same feelings. That said, I was going by the original discription in RickO's post that stated that the flag really huge, lighted at night, and very loud. It appears from RickO's latest post (I can't access the linked site) that the situation may have been exaggerated (although 40 acres isn't as big as some people may think; it's only 0.0625 square miles, considerably less than a mile square, or roughly 42 football fields) and, based on kat_nda_sand's post, the flag may not be as big as first represented. If so, it may be the complaints weren't warranted.

Still, what I said stands. If a flag is so huge it can be heard flapping inside people's homes (or even outside in the neighbors' yards), it is out of line. If a light shining on it blocks out or impairs the neighbors' view of the night sky, it is out of line (especially if the neighbors were there first). And anyone who suggests I'm not patriotic is really out of line (I strongly suggest you don't ever say that to my face!)! I love and respect the flag as much as anyone else (actually more, considering the deplorable condition of many flags I've seen) but things can still be taken to extremes. It is not necessary to have a monster flag to show one's patriotism. One of the downsides of living in a society is everyone has to be respectful of everyone else. Your rights can go only so far; they end when they infringe on the rights of others around you.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:13 AM   #25

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Generally when some HOA charges someone with a violation for properly displaying the American Flag.. And the home owner contests, the courts, all of which fly said flag themselves. side with the flag.

And if the courts do not.. Well, There are a few other orginations which one might appeal to...... A,N,AF,M, BS, GS, VFW, DAV, and so on.... Some of them can get downright persuasive.

I used to sit on the parish council at church.. The "peace and justice' comission requested the removal of the American Flag from the church..... Well...

Not only did it remain, in a place of honor, but a 2nd flag now flys in front of the church on a flag pole.

I am part of the reason for that (I too support the flag). I won't tell you just how big a club was used but suffice to say.. Though the club was never actually put in service (The threat was enough) it was a biggie.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:42 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Sequim Guy, my husband also served with the 9th Infantry Division in Vietnam.

Seems like it was 66 to 68, as he came home just a few months before I graduated from college. Interesting to see that emblem again.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:49 PM   #27

Gulf Streamers Club
As I said in post #8, there is a law enacted by congress, that states:

"A condominium association, cooperative association, or residential real estate management association may not adopt or enforce any policy, or enter into any agreement, that would restrict or prevent an association member from displaying the U.S. flag on residential property within the association with respect to which such member has a separate ownership interest or a right to exclusive possession or use. States that nothing in this Act shall be considered to permit any display or use that is inconsistent with: (1) federal law or any rule or custom pertaining to the proper display or use of the flag; or (2) any reasonable restriction pertaining to the time, place, or manner of displaying the flag necessary to protect a substantial interest of the condominium, cooperative, or residential real estate management association."

This law has been in effect since July, 2006. There is no need for bluster of various service organizations, it is a Federal law. Of course it only pertains to HOA and the like, not city government or zoning boards, I believe. On those you could turn loose all the wrath of whom ever you wished to prostest!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:00 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post

The biggest problem is when the definition of "Reasonable", "Excessive" and "Nuisance" are being made. What is reasonable, excessive and/or nuisance to one is not to another and vise versa.

Your premise that "...people's rights stop when they infringe on the rights of others." is not sustainable. If someone is flying a flag, which is their right, which rights are they infringing upon? It seems to me the HOAs are the ones infringing on someone's right to fly a flag.

JMHO.