Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2019, 10:55 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
Our insurance is from Ambetter , it s not a true PPO, but we can use it in any state Ambetter has coverage , I think it’s like 13 or 15 differant states .
We only used it once while away from TX , & it was just great .
We do go to TX once or twice a year to visit & go to our primary doctor & cardiologist while there for check ups
I actually had Ambetter a few years ago, when Blue Cross stopped offering PPOs in Texas. After I cancelled my Ambetter policy, they continued to bill me for a premium for four or five months. And for longer than that, they sent me "member" emails as if I still had insurance with them. Since then, they've expanded to more states, so maybe they've gotten their act together. One can only hope.

Here's a map of states where Ambetter offers marketplace plans:
https://www.ambetterhealth.com/healt...our-state.html

Here's a map of where Ambetter offers marketplace plans in Texas:
https://ambetter.superiorhealthplan....erage-map.html

If you know you'll be spending a lot of time in the states where Ambetter has coverage, then it might not be a terrible choice (and it's better than a plan that has only a very limited local network, or probably any HMO--the only other choices in Texas). But I travel around a lot, with no set plan, and the places I go don't really correspond with Ambetter's states.

And something to remember is that if a plan doesn't include any out-of-network coverage, then if you're not in a place where the insurance company has network providers, it's the same as being uninsured unless what you need is considered an emergency by your insurance company.

Of course, out-of-network coverage isn't great, but at least it's something, and might actually be useful in a situation where you're using a network provider but they sneak in out-of-network people without your knowing it.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2019, 01:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
I actually had Ambetter a few years ago, when Blue Cross stopped offering PPOs in Texas. After I cancelled my Ambetter policy, they continued to bill me for a premium for four or five months. And for longer than that, they sent me "member" emails as if I still had insurance with them. Since then, they've expanded to more states, so maybe they've gotten their act together. One can only hope.

Here's a map of states where Ambetter offers marketplace plans:
https://www.ambetterhealth.com/healt...our-state.html

Here's a map of where Ambetter offers marketplace plans in Texas:
https://ambetter.superiorhealthplan....erage-map.html

If you know you'll be spending a lot of time in the states where Ambetter has coverage, then it might not be a terrible choice (and it's better than a plan that has only a very limited local network, or probably any HMO--the only other choices in Texas). But I travel around a lot, with no set plan, and the places I go don't really correspond with Ambetter's states.

And something to remember is that if a plan doesn't include any out-of-network coverage, then if you're not in a place where the insurance company has network providers, it's the same as being uninsured unless what you need is considered an emergency by your insurance company.

Of course, out-of-network coverage isn't great, but at least it's something, and might actually be useful in a situation where you're using a network provider but they sneak in out-of-network people without your knowing it.

Ambetter does not cover Louisiana , where we are, but it’s less than hour to Vicksburg , where I have coverage if needed
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:25 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scbwr View Post
For you, since you will be on Medicare, shop for a "F" supplement plan as already mentioned. For our supplemental plan, the United Health Care Plan offered through AARP has worked extremely well for us. But, if you shop for a "F" level of coverage, the coverage will be the same regardless of what insurance company you purchase it through.
ditto, my Medicare + UHC Plan F has been **great** for me.
Radacravitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:06 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Remember that Medicare and most U.S. health plans only cover you within the United States.

If you plan to travel to Canada, you should consider a separate supplementary international policy.
- Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) offers excellent international coverage for approximately $150 (one hundred fifty dollars) per year per person provided that you have an underlying domestic health insurance policy (does not matter whether it is PPO or HMO or whatever else). BCBS policy period goes from your start date up to the same date the following year.
- American Express (Amex) offers international supplementary health plans, too.

(I have no affiliation with any of the above.)
Old 03-12-2019, 01:27 PM   #19

I can only address Medicare. There are Advantage Plans and Supplement/ Medigap Plans for Medicare. The different companies and plans available to you are DICTATED by your zip code! Most people do not know this and the TV ads try and mislead us. For example, if your residence is in a rural area, you may ONLY be able to get a Supplement Plan (and of course this costs more money).
However, it is very versatile and even covers up to 50K internationally (lifetime max).
As others have mentioned, they have Supplement Plan F (which we also have) and know that the only difference between companies which offer the plans is the cost. ALL benefits and coverage is identical. We happen to like Regence as it is also less expensive than UCH (through AARP) and Regence gives us a 10% premium couple discount.
LovesToWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 01:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesToWine View Post
<snip>
As others have mentioned, they have Supplement Plan F (which we also have) and know that the only difference between companies which offer the plans is the cost. ALL benefits and coverage is identical. We happen to like Regence as it is also less expensive than UCH (through AARP) and Regence gives us a 10% premium couple discount.

I was going to go with plan F until I learned that F (and C) will no longer accept new enrollees after 1/1/2020. My thoughts on this are that Plan F will have a pool of people getting older (no new fresh blood) and also a declining number of participants as people in F die. My personal feelings are that the rates in Plan F will increase faster than in a plan like G. Just my 2cents
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 02:07 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Healthcare on the road

F and g are identical .. except for the annual deductible of 189.00 and g is generally , over the year less expensive in premium than 189. 189 /12 =18.90 per month.
G just forces you to pay the deductible. You are correct f will no longer be offered as G replaces it for most people G is a better deal.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:19 PM   #22

Switching to Plan G effective April 1.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:31 PM   #23

Quote:
Switching to Plan G effective April 1.

We pay about $105/mo (ea) for G.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:30 PM   #24

I WISH we paid $105.00 per month! Geez- this zip code thing is out of hand. We will pay $165.00 per month. Still, it is better that $195.00 per month from the F plan. Glad we switched. We love Regence and costs less then UHC/AARP too. (identical benefits)
Old 03-14-2019, 02:17 PM   #25

Quote:
I WISH we paid $105.00 per month! Geez- this zip code thing is out of hand. We will pay $165.00 per month. Still, it is better that $195.00 per month from the F plan. Glad we switched. We love Regence and costs less then UHC/AARP too. (identical benefits)

Some of the higher premium could be age related - we're 66/67. Our G is through Aetna.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:59 PM   #26

Our G plan is Mutual of Omaha and it’s ~$125 per month as it was based on my income the 2-3 years prior to retirement. Should go down some. Also we went with traditional Medicare, not M advantage. This covers us wherever we travel in the US. I do not want to return to Texas for medical care.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:02 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Healthcare on the road

I think you might be mixing up your basic Medicare and medigap ......Your basic Medicare premium is based on your income ( if you income is too high) but NOT the supplement/ medigap .... it based on your location and age primarily. There are no income questions every state county zip code as said is different
Old 03-14-2019, 10:22 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duoglide1 View Post
Our G plan is Mutual of Omaha and it’s ~$125 per month as it was based on my income the 2-3 years prior to retirement. Should go down some. Also we went with traditional Medicare, not M advantage. This covers us wherever we travel in the US. I do not want to return to Texas for medical care.

Also on traditional Medicare for the same reason - want coverage anywhere and have used it in 3 states so far. I know people that have had to travel from AZ to WA, AZ to CA and AZ to WI to get their coverage as the Advantage plan only covers locally.