RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2020, 04:24 PM   #1

High Blood Pressure

Well it has finally happened to me. Pills for blood pressure are on order.

I would like to hear from people with high blood pressure.

What are you feeing when it is high?
I feel tired. Have dizzy spells and issues with memory.

Never took pills for anything now I start taking them up the ying yang.

68 years old and falling apart.

Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2020, 04:41 PM   #2

How high is your BP?
What are you/will you be taking and the amount?
Before 65--felt younger than my age…..after 65, not so much
Welcome to the dark side....

Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 04:42 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lambert View Post
Well it has finally happened to me. Pills for blood pressure are on order.

I would like to hear from people with high blood pressure.

What are you feeing when it is high?
I feel tired. Have dizzy spells and issues with memory.

Never took pills for anything now I start taking them up the ying yang.

68 years old and falling apart.
will be 77 in December.
VA doc perscibed 10 mg of Lisinopril in morning an night. BP was slightly elevated.
Only pill I take. Still holding together with vitamins and a wife who cooks great.
Have glue and duck tape invade I start to fall apart.
Russ Silber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 04:52 PM   #4
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

My wife and I have been taking blood pressure medications for >5 years with no serious side effects and our pressures are well under control.

However, it is worth noting that the most common medications (lisinopril is an example of one) can cause a serious side effect in some people. I know because I'm one of those who develops an uncontrollable cough which can drive you crazy. Fortunately, my wife is a nurse and she immediately said "oh, you have the ACE-inhibitor cough; have your doc change your meds!"

Since you just started your meds I wanted you to know this.
docj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 04:56 PM   #5

Taking Losarton 50mg twice a day

Ted,
My BP went from 135 over 70 to 115 over 60 but took 6 months. My body took awhile to adjust and my guess is yours will also. Good Luck.
PS my son is also using Losartan with good results.
nnason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:04 PM   #6

Ramapril 10mg once a day since 2001.

Even when I was a School Bus Driver, my blood pressure is almost always textbook 120/80.

I think it works prettty good.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:27 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
I’m 59 been on blood pressure meds for many years. Had a rough winter last year. Was on several blood pressure meds. I have never felt so bad in my life as I did when my blood pressure was very low. I actually had a seizure one nite because of too many meds. Now that’s it regulated I feel much better. I don’t ever remember felling bad when my pressure was high. I guess I was just use to it. Hang it there it will get better.
Ledawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 06:40 PM   #8
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Over 30 years on bp meds. Used a varity. Never felt bad when it is high. Feel dizzy when it gets a bit too low if I get up quickly.

I'm 66. Quad bypass a year ago. Inherited the issues from my father. Never ever a smoker and worked hard. Was in good physical shape.

One med that keeps my heart rate low was just too much for me. I felt like a slug. Just changed that 6 weeks ago and I have a fresh step.

Keep a log of your BP for the dr. They appreciate that. Keep a list of your meds in your wallet.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 06:51 PM   #9

Aside from feeling a bit tired no problems. I'm 74 and have been on bp meds for about 12 yrs.
One side effect that they may not tell you. All meds make you more susceptible to sunlight. So if you don't use a wide brim hat, long sleeves and sun bloc, you will be on a first name basis with your neighbourhood dermatologist. Even baby aspirin effects you. Google has some good articles on this.
Xmcdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 06:56 PM   #10

My BP was always 120/80 and then for the entire month last Nov it spiked to 150/90 and I was out of breath. After many test that found nothing wrong and before I could get back to my reg doctor to start a prescription program, my BP went back to 120/80 on it's own. Never did find out the reason, but I blame it on watching political news and late night talk shows which I'm trying to curtail.
grindstone01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:25 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
I am now 70 and have been on Lisinopril (10 mg in the morning) for over 15 years. I did have that cough for the first year or so and no problems since.
Watching your diet will also help.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:31 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
75+ years old.

VA medical with Agent Orange complications including Prostate Cancer (radical surgery 2006).

Experimenting with VA Pharmacist on next control drug so taking daily pressure readings plus Glucose.

Now have my BP down to @145 - 60 -53 . But Glucose is up too high.

Basically, I am a normal guy who climbs ladders, mows yard, walks the dog and has a tasty scotch each evening.

Since my blood pressure is regarded as high, I feel the same each day. Not dizzy, but tired of washing dishes.

I may not be here tomorrow, but am trying to enjoy each day that I get.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:16 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Started on the BP medicine 2 years ago after my lite stroke. I was taking pills in the morning and by noon, I needed a nap. Memory wasn't to good and I just didn't feel good. Read about the same symptoms someone was having and he switched to taking meds before bedtime. I asked the doc and he said no problem to switch so I did. I now take them about 9:30-10 and the next day I feel fine. Only thing is that the old wally doesn't work like it used to.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:38 PM   #14

Last Dec. our internist put me on Losartin and Furosemide(already on Aspirin regimen) , my BP was 180 over 110. I had headaches, unsteady on my feet, thoughts jumbled at times. Since I've already had 2 open heart surgeries+2 long stents, and COPD; DW demanded I seen our Dr., I called immediately and Dr. asked how soon I could be there. Now if I bump my arm on anything I bleed under the skin, I'm black N blue on both arms.
Last month the same Dr. told DW to take extra care, if I caught this virus i am finished. Now I'm watching both our BP's.The main thing you can do for yourself is proper diet and lots of exercise when Dr. approves. It took me about 2 months to learn to eat my food without any added salt, and eat out very seldom as it has multiple times the amount of salt you require.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote