Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2013, 11:05 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
High Cost for Camping

We just got back from Florida. I thought the cost of campsites was pretty expensive. I think $40./night for 30 amp service and water is high. I know it is peak time for the campgrounds down there. Just curious about what others think. I know that state campgrounds are cheaper, however I see that most private campgrounds all over are going up. We have passport america membership, but campgrounds don't accept the discounts during peak seasons. What do others think.

Scott
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2013, 11:47 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
$40 isn't too bad. We've paid a lot more many times.

What I did was join the Elks. Usually $20 or less per night and they have Lodges in places where there are no other RV parks available. We've stayed at them coast to coast.

We also have Good Sam and KOA which usually saves about 10%.

Never got Passport America as it didn't look like a good deal to me.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:52 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
$40 isn't too bad. We've paid a lot more many times.

What I did was join the Elks. Usually $20 or less per night and they have Lodges in places where there are no other RV parks available. We've stayed at them coast to coast.

We also have Good Sam and KOA which usually saves about 10%.

Never got Passport America as it didn't look like a good deal to me.
We use Passport America all the time. It is a good value... Many park owners have let us have the PPA rate during the High Season. I thank them and move on... $40 and night is not a terrible high rate if you can get your water, electric and dump before you leave...
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottandjean View Post
We just got back from Florida. I thought the cost of campsites was pretty expensive. I think $40./night for 30 amp service and water is high. I know it is peak time for the campgrounds down there. Just curious about what others think. I know that state campgrounds are cheaper, however I see that most private campgrounds all over are going up. We have passport america membership, but campgrounds don't accept the discounts during peak seasons. What do others think.

Scott
I think that is high. We like to stick around $25 to $30 for electric, water and sewer. Haven't been to Florida though, sticking around Arizona this year.
HappyCCRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:20 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Oh my - come to the northeast in the summer and you will think $40. is a bargain. Unless you are staying at a state park, many of which have no hookups, I would say that $40 is the jumping off point.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:21 PM   #6

Around here $40 is cheap. DW and I are going to a campground for our anniversary and its $120 a night.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Well FL is expensive in general, especially on the coast. You'll get cheaper rates if you look inland or just north of FL. For example you can camp in AL on the coast & walking distance to the beach for $355/mo FHU (Dauphin Island). That's just one example.

Or look at TX...or the SW. Here in AZ you can easily find monthly rates in the $300-$400/mo range. Plus there's lots of free-camping/boondocking in the area. As an example we've spent an average of $9/day in camping fees since Jan 1st. This is a mix of free-camping, state parks & private parks in CA & AZ.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:29 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
The most we've spent was $65 a night and that was in Las Vegas for New Year's Eve last year. The least was $20 a night and that was in the panhandle of Florida last April. Prices have been every where in between.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:33 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
We average between $25-$30 a night in MI. In a previous post someone said they were going to be paying $120 a night. Curious as to what $120 get's you?

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
We average between $25-$30 a night in MI. In a previous post someone said they were going to be paying $120 a night. Curious as to what $120 get's you?
By the beach but our spot isn't beach view so it's nothing fancy just a 25'X 40' space. Now if we went for beach front it was $297 a night!

My wife REALLY wanted to go here. She won that fight.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:59 PM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottandjean View Post

Scott
I agree!

I see the prices are going up like everything these days, but sometimes, in the right location/spot/time of year, they are worth the extra money. Just gotta watch it and don't get taken advantage of if you can help it!

Old 03-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoafan View Post
By the beach but our spot isn't beach view so it's nothing fancy just a 25'X 40' space. Now if we went for beach front it was $297 a night!

My wife REALLY wanted to go here. She won that fight.
That's Ludacris!

I would not pay that for a Hotel Never mind a campsite.

The More Rich People move in to an area the higher the Prices go.

supply and demand.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GULFSTREAM37 View Post

That's Ludacris!

I would not pay that for a Hotel Never mind a campsite.
I agree but the place sells out. Dumb IMO.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:59 PM   #14

If you are going to compete for limited, high demand space like Florida in the winter, rates will be higher. You can lower the per night cost, generally, with longer stays. We travel six months per year, normally parking a month at a time. We always stay with full hook ups, 95% in commercial campgrounds. We do not do much price shopping and choose our places to stay based on location and things like laundry facilities, access, clear sky for satellite, etc. Our per night rate last year was $22 per night.

Just a point of general information. I just helped DW with last year's financial summaries. She is a consultant, traveling via air/hotel three to four days per week. She overnights in upper middle hotels/motels appropriate for a business woman traveling alone, mostly in or near major urban areas. Her average per night rate last year was $169. Her lowest was $79 (a room at a Hampton Inn in a small Oklahoma town). Highest was $395 (a resort hotel for a conference).
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping