Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2016, 07:45 PM   #1

Homebrew Sea Foam

Hello:

There a lot of talk on Sea Foam here on IRV2, but the price for 1 gallon on sale is right around $50 bucks.

There's a guy on the internet that did his homework and came up with a homebre Sea Foam. Here's the link

Homebrew Sea Foam (SeaFoam) Motor Treatment Recipe

1 gallon Diesel
1/2 gallon VM&P Naphtha
3 bottles of ISO Heet (red bottle)

Total cost aound $26 bucks for 1.75 gallons.

What you all think about the homebre Sea Foam?
1996 34'J Fleetwood Bounder, Chevy 454 TBI P-32, Bank PowerPack, Ultra Power Chip, BellCranks, Rear Trac Bar, Silver Safe-T-Plus and 04 CR-V Toad, Roadmaster Base Plate and All Terain Tow Bar, SMI Stay-In-Play DUO.
leesdx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2016, 09:12 PM   #2

Always fun to brew your own and save money, but I wouldn't buy Sea Foam @ $1.00 a gallon. Just don't need it.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 09:19 PM   #3

Sounds like a guessing game with the homebrew. I use seafoam in all my vehicles, in the gas tank and as an oil additive. I have a friend that swears by kerosene, used the same way. Is it really worth the risk? Let us know how your results are.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 09:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetogo View Post
Always fun to brew your own and save money, but I wouldn't buy Sea Foam @ $1.00 a gallon. Just don't need it.
Well, after R&R my intake and looking down the head ports is all this carbon. Need something to at least stop the build up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160929_180534.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	141566  
1996 34'J Fleetwood Bounder, Chevy 454 TBI P-32, Bank PowerPack, Ultra Power Chip, BellCranks, Rear Trac Bar, Silver Safe-T-Plus and 04 CR-V Toad, Roadmaster Base Plate and All Terain Tow Bar, SMI Stay-In-Play DUO.
leesdx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 07:12 AM   #5

"Well, after R&R my intake and looking down the head ports is all this carbon. Need something to at least stop the build up."

I'm with you Leesdx1! I have had serious issues with carbon in the EGR valves in multiple vehicles. Seafoam is my best friend.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 08:16 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just throw a few mothballs in the tank before fueling up, adds power to engine also.
Old 10-15-2016, 10:54 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
and it keeps the pests out!!

Glenn
Old 10-15-2016, 11:06 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I've used SeaFoam a lot. I really don't think it is mostly diesel. I carry some around to use with my gennie gas if I think it is ever needed, and it rarely is. There is a bunch of alcohol in it, because it is good at mixing with water, alcohol loves water and helps to get the water mixed throughout the fuel and passed through the system. This is not necessarily a good thing for tiny parts like injectors, but it will get a vehicle running without tearing it apart sometimes. Whatever is in there, it does a pretty good job of what it claims to do.

Put whatever you want in your fuel tank, but make sure you report the results, good or bad, for the rest of us to learn from your valuable experiments.
Old 10-16-2016, 10:53 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I've used sea foam in everything from mowers to my MH. I remember as a kid going with Dad onto the freeway after he added can of Sea Foam in the oil. He put it to the floor and there was so much black smoke come out the tail pipe you couldn't see behind the station wagon. Personally I don't let it get that bad so I put it to the floor to get on the hwy and when "Safe to do so" I also do it in the car.

"put your clog down once in a while"
JMO,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 11:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetogo View Post

I've burned over 17,000 gallons of diesel fuel, (and changed the oil 24 times), in my now 148,427 mile diesel powered coach.
I've never needed, (or used), an ounce of additive.... (in either the fuel or the oil).
Mel
'96 Safari, 250 hp 3126 Cat
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 06:20 PM   #11

I use it/depend on it as a gasoline stabilizer more than anything else. Used in stuff that sits for 6 months at a time. I'd be pretty interested in the home brew if I thought I could trust it.

IMHO, the topic might be worth revisiting in a few years with many more testimonials available. Not a lot of faith in something that's been run once without blowing up. That's me though, FWIW.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:29 PM   #12

I've used Sea Foam, but on a limited basis. When you figure out how much it costs per gallon, I've found it much cheaper to use Yamaha RingFree Plus to keep down carbon deposits.

Another great product to put in your diesel is Prolong. I will from time to time suck out oil from the Fuel Filter housing and fill it about 5 times with clean oil--running it for awhile between fillings. The last time, I'll replace a pint of oil with a pint of Prolong, and it really is good for the injectors and the O rings.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote