Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2020, 08:59 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I will tell them as soon as the start talking...OK, it's done, when do I get the money. Then I'll add....What do you want done with the body...there is blood everywhere.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2020, 09:18 PM   #30

My friend chats with them in Chinese until they give up.
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 09:22 PM   #31

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Install Hiya, or something similar for cell phones (you didnt specify if youre on that or a house phone). The app will most of the time detect if its spam or fraudulent. Then dont answer.

Most of these guys operate from a call center. The computer dials the number and if it gets answered the computer gets the next available operator on the phone. Blowing whistles does nothing (except make you feel better like sticking it to the man). But what it does is tell the computer your number is a good number. You then get to be part of the confirmed human list and that list gets sold to another company for more money.
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 09:36 PM   #32

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Tom Mabe

Here's how Tom Mabe handles a telemarketer:

It's worth your 3 minutes 10 seconds.

There are others, too. Pretty funny stuff.

Take care,
Stu
Old 07-04-2020, 10:05 PM   #33
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I installed NoMoRoBo on my phones and telemarketing call are reduced by about 98%. It works!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 05:01 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
Here's how Tom Mabe handles a telemarketer:

It's worth your 3 minutes 10 seconds.

There are others, too. Pretty funny stuff.

Take care,
Stu

You beat me to it! It's oustanding.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 05:44 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
I will tell them as soon as the start talking...OK, it's done, when do I get the money. Then I'll add....What do you want done with the body...there is blood everywhere.

Ken
I got an unknown caller while at a handgun competition one day. There were different stations set up with different types of guns. It must have sounded like I was in a war zone. I couldn't resist answering in a whisper and begging them to call the police.

But really .... think about it. After a few hours on the job these folks must get every kind of crap you can imagine. Most of them just ignore it and move on to the next call.

Check JerryP's Post #10. If you're an iPhone user do this and you don't even have to look at the phone to decide to ignore it. Your phone will do it for you.
Old 07-05-2020, 07:14 AM   #36
IC2

If I don't recognize the name or number, wont answer that @#$% gadget. They are getting paid, I'm not therefore my time is wasted if I answer. If they are 'spoofing' a local number - again, if I don't recognize the name/number, and it's a legitimate call, the answering machine will give me a chance to return the call if needed. Prank the scammer, but it's your time to spend and will never get back and that scammer in a boiler room or downtown Lagos, Nigeria has heard it all before your call.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 07:23 AM   #37

When my kids were toddlers and constantly babbling I would hand them the phone.

Now I dont answer.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:10 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I bought one of the VERY loud referee whistles that came in yesterday. I just had a call and when I determined that it was a telemarketer I blasted him for about 5 seconds with that whistle and hung up. Hopefully he will take my name off his call list!
I use HIYA, it's free...
Fast E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:18 AM   #39

We don't get any on our land line phone, since it is only hooked up to the Dish box and the Fax machine. All of our land line phones have been removed and trashed. On our cell phones we do not answer any phone calls unless we know the phone number, if we do not answer leave a message. Works for US.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:44 AM   #40
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJeff View Post
Install Hiya, or something similar for cell phones (you didnt specify if youre on that or a house phone). The app will most of the time detect if its spam or fraudulent. Then dont answer.

Most of these guys operate from a call center. The computer dials the number and if it gets answered the computer gets the next available operator on the phone. Blowing whistles does nothing (except make you feel better like sticking it to the man). But what it does is tell the computer your number is a good number. You then get to be part of the confirmed human list and that list gets sold to another company for more money.
I don't blow the whistle until the human starts talking, and even then I confirm that it's actually a telemarketer and not someone with an accent calling about something else. I don't know if they have the option of deleting the number from the call list, but I can dream can't I.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 05:07 PM   #41

When I see it's not a number that I recognize I will generally answer morgue give me the name I'll check the toe tag they usually run they can't hang that phone up fast enough
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 07:15 PM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
I don't get that many calls any more. Heather from Card Services must have finally checked my credit rating and decided I wasn't worth her time. I still get one now and then about my "extended warranty" - on my 15 year old car...
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Seeing the USA - 200 miles at a time
daveandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote