RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2020, 09:51 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
How do you handle telemarketer calls?

I bought one of the VERY loud referee whistles that came in yesterday. I just had a call and when I determined that it was a telemarketer I blasted him for about 5 seconds with that whistle and hung up. Hopefully he will take my name off his call list!

MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2020, 09:58 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
If I have the time I play along with whatever they are doing or selling. After I think they are getting wise I hang up. Just like to waste there time like they are wasting mine. I found being polite doesn't work because they call back. When I would yell at them and tell them to stop calling my blood pressure would go up. A little bit of fun now.

Old 07-04-2020, 10:00 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I bought one of the VERY loud referee whistles that came in yesterday. I just had a call and when I determined that it was a telemarketer I blasted him for about 5 seconds with that whistle and hung up. Hopefully he will take my name off his call list!
Hopefully, it will. The only problem that I can see with that (and I have tried that, too) is so many calls are computer generated calls...

They know that we don't want to talk to them, but they get paid by the answered call. They play switch up phone numbers, from the area code in which you live. So you can never be really sure, if it's someone that isn't on your call list, and just someone that has never called you before, but you may wish to speak to... Even if you hang up quickly, they still register that as an answered call and they get paid for that answered call..................evil!
zonie911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 10:09 AM   #4

Don't recognize the number, don't answer......that's what voice mail is for if it's something important.....I also do a reverse directory check....
2010 Rockwood Sig Ultra lite 5er 8280......'99 Ram 2500, Cummins. 4x4.....Pullrite Superglide.....RV Mutant 186.....Bob the Builder...As not being a cook, 1/2 way thru bucket list.....casting no shadow...
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 10:17 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Don't recognize the number, don't answer......that's what voice mail is for if it's something important.....I also do a reverse directory check....
How do you do "Reverse Directory Check"....??????
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 10:19 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
The problem is that they are "spoofing" local phone numbers, so you can't tell before answering if it's really a local call or a telemarketer!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 10:22 AM   #7

Quote:
so,so many are robocalls...recorded messages. i've better things to do. if we don't recognize the caller ID or number we don't answer. we also have NoMoRoBo on our Xfinity phone and cell phones. that alone filters out 98% of the spam. life is too short.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 10:23 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcbbob15 View Post
If I have the time I play along with whatever they are doing or selling. After I think they are getting wise I hang up. Just like to waste there time like they are wasting mine. I found being polite doesn't work because they call back. When I would yell at them and tell them to stop calling my blood pressure would go up. A little bit of fun now.
Most of the time I play along
Looking for Donations.....How much of each Dollar goes to the Organization in Question......keep asking that question...>they never tell exactly
Looking to sell something for House>. Tell them to call Landlord...Need Tele # for landlord..?.....they hangup

Want adult...> Whose is clling..can give message

Sort of passes the time of Day.....C
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 10:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Only so much noise will come out of the telemarketers earpiece. Youíll go deaf using that strategy, so be sure to use ear protection before firing off that whistle.

If youíre actually going to answer the phone, ask them to remove your number from their list. Or, pull a Seinfeld and ask for their number so you can call them back after you finish dinner.

Is this a cell phone or land line? Do you have caller ID?

I donít answer calls that arenít identified as one of my contacts. If they leave a message, Iíll check to see if it warrants a return call. If not, I block that number.

I donít get many calls from telemarketers.
Old 07-04-2020, 10:25 AM   #10

iPhone feature "Silence Unknown Callers"

This last year Apple iPhone added a new feature. It's called "Silence Unknown Callers". Any caller not in your contact list goes directly to voice mail. The phone doesn't make any sounds.

The feature switch is located in Settings/phone/

The only issue is that if you are expecting a callback from someone not in your contact list, it will go to voicemail. For instance a doctor's office. In these cases, I will turn off the feature. Another issue is that sometimes a business in your contact list will call you back from a different number. That call goes to voice mail also.

If someone is not interested in leaving a voicemail, I'm probably not interested in talking to them either.

Another approach in line with this thread, is to answer the telemarketer, sound very interested in what they have to say and then say "please hold on a minute" and just put the phone down. Eventually they will get tired of waiting.

Regards,

Jerry
Old 07-04-2020, 10:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster52 View Post
How do you do "Reverse Directory Check"....??????
Google the number...
2010 Rockwood Sig Ultra lite 5er 8280......'99 Ram 2500, Cummins. 4x4.....Pullrite Superglide.....RV Mutant 186.....Bob the Builder...As not being a cook, 1/2 way thru bucket list.....casting no shadow...
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 10:31 AM   #12
Mjc

Quote:
The problem is that they are "spoofing" local phone numbers, so you can't tell before answering if it's really a local call or a telemarketer!
They definitely do this I got a robo call from myself one day.
Mjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 10:33 AM   #13

If you don't know the number, IGNORE IT.
LET IT GO TO VOICEMAIL !!!!
If they don't leave a message, BLOCK THE NUMBER...
scrapperjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 10:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Or he'll publish it to get even

My phone doesn't even ring if the caller is not in the contacts or recent outgoing calls list. Anyone else can leave a message.

Edit:
See JerryP above.