Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2010, 09:09 AM   #1
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
How do you prevent T.B.?

After driving long distances, I experience some TB (tired butt) and was curious what devices or methods others used to reduce the effects. I do stop periodically to rest the "area" butt I still get some TB after a few hundred miles.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2010, 12:42 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
BigSkyBob,
"....TB after a few hundred miles..." Actually, that is your backside telling you to get up and take a stretch.
Google P.A.D. (Peripheral Artery Disease) and read about the bad things that can happen when you keep your legs in a pendulous position for long periods of time. It can also contribute to a herniated disk, cause varicose veins and other problems... (h'roids... can't spell it, but you know of that which I speak)
You need to get out and take a stretch, also, your rig needs a "visual" at intervals... so it is a good idea to pull over to a rest area and take that break.

I use a Homedics massaging vibrator that plugs into the cigarette lighter OR 110V outlet... plays a "tune" up and down my spine and has heat also... very comforting while driving... BUT, I still get out and walk around every couple of hours.
Travel safely,
Jim
Good man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:30 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
You have heard of a ''Lap Dance''? Me and Willa ''Seat dance''. This is a learned process where you start with your feet. You wait for a safe area on the road with light traffic and you put your rig in ''cruise control'' and you start doing a ''foot shuffle'' ,,,,,, you move up your legs to a ''leg shuffle'' including wiggles and floor stomping'' with much action in the upper legs and toward your butt.. Next is the difficult ''Cheek wiggle and pinch'' where you tighten your ''cheeks'' and relax then move from side to side on your ''cheeks'' with a forward and backward motion as necessary and possible while seated and in a safe condition. Next is the critical ''head roll'' with the alternating ''one arm shake'' (still being careful about traffic) and throwing in the ''shoulder shrug'' with the spine ''snake dance moves''. Finish off with a good old fashion ''foot stomp'' on the floor to keep everything limbered up........ or .................. simply stop and walk around the coach three times and do a couple of stretch exercises.
Remember this ...... NEVER OVER STRESS YOUR BODY. If it hurts it is trying to tell you something and you need to listen or pay for it later ........also.... You are in a motor home and you aint in a hurry. Stop and smell the roses....
All this valuable information will cost you ten cents and you must pay me the next time you see me.....................
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:11 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
as a retired professional driver, driving hundreds of miles a day, as the only reason that we can do it, is - cause we are use to it, and thats the truth, driving is hard , looks easly but as Good Man said you can get all these types of disease, as Seajay also stated a seat (lap dance) dance to keep the blood flowing, but to be honest,,, stop at a rest area and walk, for 15 to 30 mintutes, gets your blood flowing, heart pumping, and swing them arms too, you will feel much better, but remeber, pros do this for a living they know how many SAFE miles they can drive, as most people don't even drive 6 to 700 miles a week the pros do this each day.( milage is base on speed/ state/stops, and if they follow the log book) one thing also, our seats in the cab of the semis do make a differance, and the way there set up to ones comfort.
at the trval plaza they use to sell beaded cushions to go on the seat, this woud also let your skin breath, from the back, butt, and theighs too, not only your skin breaths you won't sweat as much, and it messages all these areas too. I forgot what the name was but they helped alot, so start be bopping along with the music and do the seat dance along with after driving 2 hours or 100 miles go and walk and streach them ole muscles, take short steps and long steps and again swing them arms too, touch them toes and lean back wards, we bend forward but need to bend back and the reason for this is the sponge that is between the disk in our backs are on one side ( mostly towrds the front) I don't think I am explanning this right but you will feel it in the back when you bend your back , backwards, umm don't go to far, no need to get hurt.hope this helps
Old 09-06-2010, 09:56 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSkyBob View Post
I do stop periodically to rest the "area" butt I still get some TB after a few hundred miles.
So stop more often. We rarely travel more than 200 miles in any one day, and certainly not at a stretch.
LindaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:11 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Good suggestion about the "Beaded Seat" with all those little rollers, SwampHog... A word of caution, though...
DO NOT EVER SIT ON ONE OF THOSE BEADED SEATS WHILST YOU ARE NEKKID!!!...
...and don't ask me how I know.
Good man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:31 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaH View Post
So stop more often. We rarely travel more than 200 miles in any one day, and certainly not at a stretch.
This is the method we use.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:23 AM   #8

Since I seldom drive nekkid that probably won't be a problem.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:41 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Driving too many hours will only lead to fatique and make a person loose concentration and possibly cause an accident. Try to limit the number of miles per day. I know when I have done a 400 mile day, I'm beat.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:40 PM   #10

If you drive with your wallet in one of your back pockets, take it out-it made a big different with driving discomfort for me; seriously.
rough road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:07 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I know what Bob is talking about because I have the same year model coach as he does. The seats are real cushy and feel great when you first sit in them. But they are too soft, without enough support in both the lumbar and seat area for any long drives.

No problem, off I go to JoAnn’s Fabrics and buy two pieces of foam, 1” thick and 2” thick. Mine came in green 18” squares, if I remember correctly.

Next unbolt the seat from the floor, turn it upside down and dissect it by removing the hog ring staples at the bottom rear of the seat back. Cut the 2” to make a lumbar support and place (stuff) between the wavy metal springs and the seat fabric. This part isn’t to hard.

Now when you put the 1” seat bottom foam in, be patient, as you have to inch it in by alternately pushing a little and then pulling a little. Paint stir sticks and long needle nose pliers will help here. You might have to remove the motor carriage assembly to get to the bottom of the seat.

Reinstall the hog rings, bolt the seat to the floor and your done.

Both your but and back will thank you for the support.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rough road View Post
If you drive with your wallet in one of your back pockets, take it out-it made a big different with driving discomfort for me; seriously.
I used to have tb and my leg would ache on long drives, I could never get comfortable. One day I got tired of sitting on my wallet and threw it in the glove box. It made all the difference in the world, I was likely cutting blood flow to my leg.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:55 PM   #13

This is the main reason I never added fuel capacity. Since we stop about every 100 miles to stretch an walk, why carry more fuel than we use in a day and pay to haul the extra weight. We drive about 300 miles/day, one tankful when towing. I learned about removing my billfold many years ago from a cousin; he even wore sweat pants minus underwear to be more comfortable on their trips to Alaska.
Seejay, mind if we adopt your "dancing" methods? I would have never thought of it. BTW, I've got your dime.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:46 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
umm yeah, forgot to say wear sweat pants or a elastic band pants or shorts, but if you wear shorts and sitting on them beads the salt from your body will eat away at the nylon that holds all them beads together, and when the nylon gives out, as it always happens while you are driving some of them ole beads will drop on the chair or floor.
I don't drive neked either although when i did drive pro for many years did see some weird things that I refuse to go into detail, for fear of being booted of this great site.