Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2011, 04:47 PM   #15

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Adams View Post
".....morally opposed to gift giving"? You must be a treasure during the Holidays!.
I detest gifting for the sake of the gifts -- as in the dumb things sold around the holidays that just sit around collecting dust. Mindless consumerism, Hallmark holidays (days made up to sell cards and gifts) and merchant promoted ritualism (weddings, funerals, etc where the true beneficiaries are the merchants who sell the goods) $10,000,000 for a wedding??? give the $ to a worthy cause and say your "I Dos" at the court house. What message are we sending to our kids? Our country has sold away the next 3 generations by spending without earning, all so...

Ok, enough ranting. You get the picture. I feel the best thing you can give is your time and attention. My thing is working in the yard. Sadly, I enjoy pulling weeds. I can easily see accomplishment in the clean beds and bulging sack of errant vegetation.

I do like some of your ideas, though, thanks!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2011, 04:53 PM   #16

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've been in Washington State since early June. Weather has been MARVELOUS. IF I go to visit friends in the southern states it will be after November. My momma didn't raise no fool. I tell everyone to expect me to be their fair-weathered friend.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-27-2011, 05:12 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi, Barb

Your thread title "How do you repay your hosts" really says it all- when folks do us a kindness, a reciprocal kindness is appropriate
That's not gift-giving: it's just good manners, right?
Not to mention a bit of warm-welcome insurance for future stayovers
Sounds like your gardening efforts satisfied that in your current situation, but for those down the road who don't have gardens etc.,
I think the best idea offered here is Larry and Rita's.
As you pointed out, many folks refuse cash when it's offered to them, but
nobody will refuse a fifty dollar bill they find in the freezer a few days after you leave...

I think that's just brilliant, and I'm going to use it myself!

Good Travels!

Francesca
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:51 AM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
I detest gifting for the sake of the gifts -- as in the dumb things sold around the holidays that just sit around collecting dust. ....etc..
A good gift, a true gift, is one that is used and/or enjoyed...
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:01 PM   #19
CD

DW has an uncle that you can't even get close to let alone getting even with. One time when we parked beside their house in Az. (with full hookups) we left some money in their freezer in an envelope that had "COLD CASH" written on it. I'm sure it was repaided many times over since but we got them that time.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:29 PM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club

"Cold Cash"!

I love it....
And I'm gonna use that line, too

Thanks!

Francesca
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:03 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
I detest gifting for the sake of the gifts -- as in the dumb things sold around the holidays that just sit around collecting dust. Mindless consumerism, Hallmark holidays (days made up to sell cards and gifts) and merchant promoted ritualism (weddings, funerals, etc where the true beneficiaries are the merchants who sell the goods) $10,000,000 for a wedding??? give the $ to a worthy cause and say your "I Dos" at the court house. What message are we sending to our kids? Our country has sold away the next 3 generations by spending without earning, all so...

Ok, enough ranting. You get the picture. I feel the best thing you can give is your time and attention. My thing is working in the yard. Sadly, I enjoy pulling weeds. I can easily see accomplishment in the clean beds and bulging sack of errant vegetation.

I do like some of your ideas, though, thanks!
I guess I understand you thinking, I guess I am just morally opposed to it!
I like giving gifts to those who deserve recognition and I appreciate receiving a gift from those I have pleased. I am not a junk hoarder (only a few RVers are) so I don't care for junk. A gift card to my favorite restaurant, a bottle of wine (not Boone's Farm, but a wine with a bit of thought put behind it), cash with a handshake, whatever. It's much appreciated. I once had a former employee who I knew needed some help. I also knew that this person would refuse a check or cash in the amount I wanted her to have. I gave an envelope of cash to a mutual friend and had it delivered after I was gone. I felt like a million dollars as I knew that it would fill a necessary gap for her. She felt good because she knew it was a gift from the heart with no further expectations. Gift giving can be a beautiful thing and I am very sorry that you see things through a colored lens that distorts this reality.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:05 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martind4 View Post
I'm known as the resident handyman in our family so I usually end up fixing leaky faucets, sticky doors and other things that just don't seem to get fixed.

Normally, we like to leave a place in better condition than we found it. A dinner out also helps as a way to say thanks.
That is funny. It's the same with me. I do the same stuff and also add "sharpening knives ". I enjoy doing it and it makes people happy.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:23 AM   #23

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Adams View Post
Gift giving can be a beautiful thing and I am very sorry that you see things through a colored lens that distorts this reality.
You are so right, Bill and I am not opposed to gift giving that comes from the heart. I have truly been blessed by the gifts I have received, but few have been tangible in nature. I suppose I should have phrased my objections to "obligatory giving", and "mindless materialism" rather than gifting.

I just retired after spending 10 years as personal assistant to a woman who likes "things" and a large part of my day was spent managing those "things". Each of the last 10 years my list of possessions declined, hers seemed to grow exponentially.

Everything I own fits in this small motorhome plus 8 cubic feet of momentos that I have stored in my daughter's basement and a car stored at my brother's house. Moving into an RV was an easy transition for me.

Thank you all for the ideas on how to say thanks to those who have shared so generously with me.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-01-2011, 02:10 PM   #24

A donation to the hosts favorite charity in their name or a gift certificate to a favorite restaurant are also things that would be appreciated
Bucksmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:56 AM   #25

I've been a host to a relative for several weeks a year for the past 15 years; last year I decided to visit them; when I called to see when it was convient for me to visit them, I was told by them that they wouldn't be home; this was before a date was even suggested.
The next time they called me and told me they were comming I told them I wouldn't be home; They got madder that stink,
Takes all kinds.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:10 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
I've been a host to a relative for several weeks a year for the past 15 years; last year I decided to visit them; when I called to see when it was convient for me to visit them, I was told by them that they wouldn't be home; this was before a date was even suggested.
The next time they called me and told me they were comming I told them I wouldn't be home; They got madder that stink,
Takes all kinds.
You weren't hosting them , they were mooches, just looking for a free place stay, while you were on the providing end of the equation everything was good, now not so much. You didn't lose anything.
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote