Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: How often do you use a credit card?
I never use a credit card! 0 0%
I use a credit card occasionally but mostly pay cash 16 8.16%
I use a credit card for most purchases 180 91.84%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2022, 05:44 PM   #71
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceDeville View Post
Actually I need further clarification. I seldom use cash dollar bills because it in my opinion it is to dangerous in today's society. I usually pay with my bankcard, money comes directly from my account. Is that cash or credit?
I think that's a Debit card.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2022, 05:59 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Thanks, I'll check that out!
Check out the Wells Fargo Visa Active Cash card, 2% cash back on everything (no restrictions) plus a $200 bonus after spending a certain amount within the first three months. If you use it to pay your cellular bill it covers you for loss, theft etc. We use it wherever possible and of course pay off the balance every month.
GIjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 06:01 PM   #73

Quote:
Correct, the transaction is a debit against your checking or savings account.
Old 01-13-2022, 06:16 PM   #74

Thor Owners Club
Another Chase Freedom unlimited here... I pay everything with it, debit card stays in my wallet. I also have the card linked to my phone and usually am able to leave my wallet in the truck.

Bought a new (used) vehicle for 30K for DW a few months back and after paperwork was done I pulled out the plastic. He was about to tear up all of that work as he said "We will have to re-negotiate"... I laughed as I knew that wasn't going to fly and wrote him a check.

Some have mentioned "convenience fees" when paying for things with plastic. I had a windshield put in my TV and when the insurance company responded with the repayment check, that $13.50 fee was deducted. In was not real happy about that, but its 13 bucks so I didn't complain. I wish he would have just added that to the price of the windshield or called it "labor" or "Shop Supplies" and that might have gone through. I will pay closer attention next time because I sure could have written him a check too!

Great discussion!
Old 01-13-2022, 06:25 PM   #75

I use an AMEX card for nearly everything and I accumulate lots of Delta miles to go visit our grandchildren. AMEX is the best card for getting complete information in your statement for every transaction. Also when I get fraudulent charges (I see 3 or 4 each year) AMEX will try to work it out with the charger before cancelling the card. Chase simply cancels the card and issues a new one each time there is a dubious charge. This can be a major hassle when traveling and you need your card.
Krikati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 06:30 PM   #76

I buy all my gas and groceries on the CC.
I can't tell you how many times I have customers attempt to get a CC because they need it to make a major purchase for an emergency.
Refrigerator or freezer failed and it needs to replaced TODAY.
Transmission gave up.
Engine puked etc etc.

They can't get a card because they
A Don't like CC.
B Always pay cash.
C Don't like banks.
Now they NEED one and can't get it because they have no documented history of charging and paying on time.
Charging and paying on time.

I encourage people to get a CC with a very low limit and charge their gas only or groceries only.
Then PAY THE BILL ON TIME to create a history of doing that.
It can make life alot easier in a jam.
66lima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 09:50 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
No Annual Fee Credit Cards......Cash Back/Pay off each month (no balances/no fees)

Credit card Cash Back pays ME for using the card
*Somebody/LOTS of somebodies ARE carrying balances/paying fee-interest in order for US to get cash back

I expect Cash Back to be reduced/eliminated ----until then I will continue using them

Credit Cards/Debit Cards etc
Set up ALERTS with Low Amount Transactions
*I get notified within 10 minutes (card dependent) on ALL transaction/activity

(if you have a cell phone, use debit card, have any bils, banking accounts etc-----THEY already KNOW)
The cash back or perks you receive come on the backs of the merchants you use the card at in the way of them loosing approx 3% on your purchase and paying to the credit card companies in the way of merchant fee. The credit card companies aka banks are getting filthy rich off of the habitual credit card user. It’s sad these days no matter what you do the banks win big.

I still pay cash for a lot of stuff. No they cannot track you easily when you take your money from the bank and spend it on whatever you want. Withdrawling cash from the bank does not tell them what you spent it on.

Everyone laughs know until there is a power/internet outage and they can’t even get gas because they rely on there credit cards to even buy a soda.
johnnyweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 07:05 AM   #78

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
How often do you use a credit card?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyweb View Post
The cash back or perks you receive come on the backs of the merchants you use the card at in the way of them loosing approx 3% on your purchase and paying to the credit card companies in the way of merchant fee. The credit card companies aka banks are getting filthy rich off of the habitual credit card user. It’s sad these days no matter what you do the banks win big.

I still pay cash for a lot of stuff. No they cannot track you easily when you take your money from the bank and spend it on whatever you want. Withdrawling cash from the bank does not tell them what you spent it on.

Everyone laughs know until there is a power/internet outage and they can’t even get gas because they rely on there credit cards to even buy a soda.

Yes nothing is free .. it’s added too or coming from the retailer, eventually you. BUT if the retailer offers no reduction for a cash payment method why should I pay more and not take the kickback? Your swimming upstream I’m afraid.
People like the convenience and yes , safety of a credit card. You are never responsible for charges you don’t make as long as you follow reasonable rules. I don’t care what the govt knows or doesn’t.
In my younger years I lived with “cash only” policy but times have changed ! you can wish for the simple good old days all you want but in todays digital connected world cash is rare indeed. It ain’t coming back… Cash discount ? Sure I keep some cash for that. It’s rare to find that.
Old 01-14-2022, 07:39 AM   #79

Forest River Owners Club
Credit card- tax info

I put everything I can on credit card, download the transactions to Quicken, and at tax time everything is u st a click away. And I have detail for Sales Tax deduction,; that tax savings is almost as good as the cash rebates. Pay in full automatically each month.
NeverGrowUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 07:39 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyweb View Post

If there is a power outage you won't get gas regardless of the payment method. I keep 40 gals of non-ethanol gas in my out building along with two sealed bins of 25 year shelf life survival food and two 30 gal tanks of propane! "Be Prepared"!
Old 01-14-2022, 01:38 PM   #81

Debit card

Quote:
But that was not an option in the original posting. Hence my question.
BruceDeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 02:26 PM   #82

On Wednesday, I went to the post office to mail several certified mail letters and a oversize envelope. The branch by me had signs on the door they were only accepting cash. Not quite sure what was going on, I wanted to use my business credit card and had no intention of using my personal cash.

They were obviously able to calculate postage, so I am not sure what the issue was, but there were AT&T trucks parked in front of the post office at the box out and at 2-3 other locations down the street.

If the big one happens, we are all screwed, the preppers with their supplies just get to suffer a little longer than the rest of us.

They were back in service the next day and did not offer any explanation for the issues.
Old 01-14-2022, 02:41 PM   #83

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I never pay cash, I use my AMEX exclusivity as it has membership rewards that add up rather quickly. And, if the merchant doesn't except AMEX I use my VISA from my credit union. I even pay my utilities with AMEX to rack up the reward points.

I honesty cannot remember the last time that I actually paid cash for something.
Old 01-14-2022, 03:07 PM   #84

We do most of our purchases with debit cards first, credit cards second.

While today most places will take some form of electronic payment today, from cards to Apple or Google pay, we always carry cash.

We especially carry foreign currency when traveling abroad. (Not that we've been able to do so lately).