Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2014, 12:44 PM   #29

So they had a little snow storm and a few people got stuck. Big deal, happens all the time. And it will happen again, someday. They call this life. Stuff happens.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2014, 12:51 PM   #30

Entegra Owners Club
Yes, but Atlanta is ridiculous. Those freeways looked as bad as when I lived there in 1982 and the same thing happened ... with less than 1/8 inch of snow...in other words a dusting!
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:04 AM   #31

We will see how everyone handles it this time snow coming in again Tuesday-Wednesday.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:53 AM   #32

Entegra Owners Club
They can't remember four years...maybe they can remember for four weeks!
Old 02-09-2014, 08:30 AM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
Yes, but Atlanta is ridiculous. Those freeways looked as bad as when I lived there in 1982 and the same thing happened ... with less than 1/8 inch of snow...in other words a dusting!
Probably a good thing you guys left Atlanta as you seem to hold the area in total contempt.

Hardly an 1/8" from what I recall. Situation in 82' very similar to this storm. Preceded by several days of record lows. Forecast fuzzy. Morning rush clear with snow starting later and falling farther North than expected.

SNOW Jam '82: January 12, 1982 | Winter Wx

I've lived in Atlanta since 1966. I missed the fun this year hanging out in middle FL. When the Atlanta roads are clear and dry in the morning, and with the missed forecasts being the rule rather than the exception, most employers and organizations won't make a call the evening before or predawn to shut down. Just the way it is.

Dave
Old 02-09-2014, 08:52 AM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim&Paula View Post
I live down in ga. We all got warnings in a timely manner. Most of the towns did a very good job and closed the schools and people stayed off the roads. The mayor and school superintendent in Atlanta did a very poor job.
With all due respect Albany,GA is over 180 miles South of Atlanta and your forecast didn't waffle like the one for the Atlanta area. You were told a full day before to hunker down. In fact the DOT did a pretty darn good job of taking care of your area.

GDOT Maintenance Crews Ready for Winter Storm Leon

Dave
Old 02-09-2014, 09:31 AM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Different weather pattern headed for Atlanta this time with a more specific forecast. It contains the two words feared most by Atlanta "freezing rain".

Winter storm watch goes into effect Monday | www.wsbtv.com

Dave
Old 02-09-2014, 09:47 AM   #36

Mandatory 1 winter in a northern clime for all southerners. Problem solved

As a footnote my kids would love it if school was cancelled with as much snow on the ground as in Atlanta. Of course it would mean i'd be homeschooling for a season. Now we need to ask how would a northerner/southerner (depending on where you are) handle a heat wave? Oh yeah local businesses sponsor water/ice/popcicle/oranges stations on major intersection, cities open the pools up for free and you turn up the A/C.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:10 AM   #37

Entegra Owners Club
I like Atlanta...it was a nice pace to live; we just lived there at a time when interest rates were 15% and inflation 12%. We were in the military; you don't have a choice on moving whether the economy is good or bad. In our case we were house poor with a long commute as new parents. We'd like to have enjoyed more of what Atlanta offered.

As far as for now, I just don't like it when people blame the weatherman when the weather people did their job. The Mayor, the Governor, and the schools Superintendent in downtown didn't do theirs in this case...similar to every other case.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:19 AM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Atlanta looked pretty scary when Rick rode in on his horse and was attacked by zombies who proceeded to eat his horse...

for walking dead fans only.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:26 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrngTrillium View Post
Mandatory 1 winter in a northern clime for all southerners. Problem solved

. Now we need to ask how would a northerner/southerner (depending on where you are) handle a heat wave? Oh yeah local businesses sponsor water/ice/popcicle/oranges stations on major intersection, cities open the pools up for free and you turn up the A/C.
Around here in southern MN if we have a heat wave while school is open the school districts will call off school because many of our schools are not air conditioned. The governor declares a emergency. Business's will either call off work or, they will call off some parts of the work that require working in the heat. The electric company declare a emergency and people are told to run there AC's but, to hold off on washing clothes/dishes and other power hungry items until after dark. We are told, and do, to check on each other epically if we have elderly neighbors. In other words the same things you do down there only more organized. However, the pools are not opened for free. Never heard of that one. The lakes are always free though.
Caveman CBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:11 PM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
Well guys, thanks for giving Atlanta a ration of $%!# over the way the snow slammed the city. You forgot that politicians are sensitive creatures and tend to over react when their feelings are hurt or their toes are stomped. Now we have to put up with this situation. A freaking state of emergency has already been declared, schools closed, government offices closed, private business offices closed and not the first drop of rain, flake of snow, or frozen droplet has fallen yet all because some folks couldn't resist rubbing it in and piling on.

Is Georgia Ready for the Snowstorm This Time? - ABC News

Dave
Old 02-10-2014, 06:59 PM   #41

Entegra Owners Club
I doubt this forum has a thing to do with it versus folks like Al Roker giving the mayor and governor the raspberries. His viewing audience i a little larger...but if you have a couple of false alarms and the kids spend one day unnecessarily away from school; JMHO, that beats the heck out of kids spending the night on school room floors, people spending the night in their cars, people getting out of their cars and getting run over...just sayin'
Old 02-10-2014, 08:29 PM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
I too doubt the forum had a direct impact. I was just making the point that when stung the political animal will over react to the next situation.

This was the first time I have seen kids spending the night in schools in the Atlanta area due to winter weather and I have lived here since 1966.

Dave