Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2020, 04:34 PM   #1

How to buy an RV out of state

I am looking to fly mostly across the country to buy an RV next week, then driving home 1700 miles. It will be the largest check i have ever cut.

The seller wants me to get a cashiers check made out to myself and cash it at my bank at his local branch. Then we will sign over the title get it all notarized and such. Then I'll start driving home.

I should leave with an RV, keys and some notarized documents, the private owner will have $30k+ in cash in his hands. Is there any other due diligence I should do before this transaction?
Photobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2020, 04:39 PM   #2

Things will vary state to state but I know for sure in MN the seller is liable for the vehicle until the title is transferred. If they are willing to let you drive it away most the risk is on their part.

My biggest concern would be buying a coach sight unseen. Have you had it inspected by someone? Is it just that good of deal? Please share some pics and details if you can, good luck on the trip!
nbluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 04:45 PM   #3

There is an outfit that handles title transfers and reregistrations in the buyers name. I would avoid using their services as they find ways to drag out the process. They operate in "50 states".
Old 12-01-2020, 04:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photobug View Post
I am looking to fly mostly across the country to buy an RV next week, then driving home 1700 miles. It will be the largest check i have ever cut.

The seller wants me to get a cashiers check made out to myself and cash it at my bank at his local branch. Then we will sign over the title get it all notarized and such. Then I'll start driving home.

I should leave with an RV, keys and some notarized documents, the private owner will have $30k+ in cash in his hands. Is there any other due diligence I should do before this transaction?

A more secure process for both of you than cashier's checks is once you have driven, checked (or paid a tech to check) the motorhome-- so you KNOW you want it and have an agreed price:

If you have a branch of your bank near where the coach is-- go to your bank, have them notarize any needed paperwork to transfer ownership and pay the seller any way he wants-- best for him is wire transfer, but cashier's check handed to him from your banker is second.

If you do not have branch of your bank near where the coach is, go to HIS bank and call your bank to wire transfer funds to his account. When his bank acknowledges receipt of funds, complete paperwork to transfer ownership and take possession of the coach.

Secure for both parties.
Old 12-01-2020, 04:53 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
A more secure process for both of you than cashier's checks is once you have driven, checked (or paid a tech to check) the motorhome-- so you KNOW you want it and have an agreed price:

If you have a branch of your bank near where the coach is-- go to your bank, have them notarize any needed paperwork to transfer ownership and pay the seller any way he wants-- best for him is wire transfer, but cashier's check handed to him from your banker is second.

If you do not have branch of your bank near where the coach is, go to HIS bank and call your bank to wire transfer funds to his account. When his bank acknowledges receipt of funds, complete paperwork to transfer ownership and take possession of the coach.

Secure for both parties.
This^^^

I've done this many times with cars and a couple of RVs as well. Everyone is covered, the biggest concern is that the title is in hand with the seller with no encumbrances.

If they have a loan then I like to go to the bank holding the title and do the payoff/payment to seller and get the title (notarized) from the bank.
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 05:31 PM   #6

There are 3 issues at play here IMO
1) Satisfactory inspection. I'd want my eyes on it as well as the option to have chassis inspected my mechanic and house systems inspected / tested by RV inspector. You have option to waive other insp based on what you find and can test yourself w owner.
2) Clear title and payment. Wire transfer is one of the best but not only way of several that can work. It should only be done at the same time / after a CLEAR title is produced and signed over to buyer
3) How to get it home. Some states will issue temp plates for transit back to home state. Some states will not do it for private sales which leaves buyer in an awkward position. Legally(I think?) you should apply for registration & plates in home state and use them for drive home. That either requires 2 trips or long wait for mail. I have negotiated with seller to use their plates to drive home and mail back when home. That obviously involves dome risk on everyone's part and a need to get to know and trust each other??
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 05:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
There are 3 issues at play here IMO
1) Satisfactory inspection. I'd want my eyes on it as well as the option to have chassis inspected my mechanic and house systems inspected / tested by RV inspector. You have option to waive other insp based on what you find and can test yourself w owner.
2) Clear title and payment. Wire transfer is one of the best but not only way of several that can work. It should only be done at the same time / after a CLEAR title is produced and signed over to buyer
3) How to get it home. Some states will issue temp plates for transit back to home state. Some states will not do it for private sales which leaves buyer in an awkward position. Legally(I think?) you should apply for registration & plates in home state and use them for drive home. That either requires 2 trips or long wait for mail. I have negotiated with seller to use their plates to drive home and mail back when home. That obviously involves dome risk on everyone's part and a need to get to know and trust each other??
When we picked up our 2008 View recently we used the plates from our still titled 2001 Allegro. All interested parties were in accord with this procedure, which included the states of PA and SC and the insurance company. However, the seller insisted on using an outfit that operates in "50 States" to facilitate the SC registration. The Allegro has been legally retired from the road but after 60 days we are still waiting for the completed SC registration of the View by the third party outfit.
Good luck to all and please stay safe!!!
Old 12-01-2020, 06:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
When we picked up our 2008 View recently we used the plates from our still titled 2001 Allegro. All interested parties were in accord with this procedure, which included the states of PA and SC and the insurance company. However, the seller insisted on using an outfit that operates in "50 States" to facilitate the SC registration. The Allegro has been legally retired from the road but after 60 days we are still waiting for the completed SC registration of the View by the third party outfit.
Good luck to all and please stay safe!!!
That was my back up plan as we also has a set of plates on our For Sale MH... different make, model, size etc and I figured that would never be legal but less likely to draw LEO attention than no plates.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 09:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post

Secure for both parties.
THis is what I would like to do but he wants me to have a cashier's check on hand made to myself, cash it at my bank and hand him the cash. In some ways it is kind of the same as a cashiers check, once i hand it to him the money is his. But if I hand him cash there is no record of the transaction other than the bill of sale and notarized title.

Some extra details. The RV is well priced and way cheaper than anything in the Rockies where I live of similar age and condition. It is a 2009 with 41k on th odometer and 129 on the generator. Asking price is $37k.

I have had tried to get an inspection but the local places are all weeks out and the RV place I talked to is going to mostly inspect the RV systems and wants $750 to do so. My concerns is the engine and chassis parts. I would like to get a compression test of the motor and inspection of the drivetrain. I feel confident of repairing any RV systems but don't want to install a new motor or transmission anytime soon. Hopefully I can get a small show to check the engine and fluids before I fly there.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:46 AM   #10

Quote:
THis is what I would like to do but he wants me to have a cashier's check on hand made to myself, cash it at my bank and hand him the cash. In some ways it is kind of the same as a cashiers check, once i hand it to him the money is his. But if I hand him cash there is no record of the transaction other than the bill of sale and notarized title.

You can always have him sign a receipt for the money and have the bank notarize it, along with the other sale documents.

Some extra details. The RV is well priced and way cheaper than anything in the Rockies where I live of similar age and condition. It is a 2009 with 41k on th odometer and 129 on the generator. Asking price is $37k.

I have had tried to get an inspection but the local places are all weeks out and the RV place I talked to is going to mostly inspect the RV systems and wants $750 to do so. My concerns is the engine and chassis parts. I would like to get a compression test of the motor and inspection of the drivetrain. I feel confident of repairing any RV systems but don't want to install a new motor or transmission anytime soon. Hopefully I can get a small show to check the engine and fluids before I fly there.The coach sounds like a gas engine model. What is the chassis maker? Any competent shop should be able to do the basics you ask for on the engine, but the transmission/brakes/suspension may require facilities that a small shop does not have. You can also investigate extended warranties that may cover the mechanical concern you have.
Responses in red.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 03:48 AM   #11

Quote:

I did the exact same thing 6 years ago when I bought my 2003 Monaco Knight, except my drive was 2400 miles home and my rig was $7,500 more expensive. I paid to have the owner take it and have the oil and all filters changed. I actually talked to the shop that did it. I paid another guy to go inspect it. I'm an old auto mechanic, so I wasn't worried about needing to work on it when I got her home. I pretty much expected it. It's been a great coach. Best of luck.
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 04:10 AM   #12

By the time you pay to get to the RV location and pay to drive it home, hopefully without issue, are you really saving anything? I would probably try and find an RV closer to home, one I can drive to in a day's time. That way you can arrange a proper inspection and are not rushed into making a decision.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 05:06 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericisrael42 View Post
I did the exact same thing 6 years ago when I bought my 2003 Monaco Knight, except my drive was 2400 miles home and my rig was $7,500 more expensive. I paid to have the owner take it and have the oil and all filters changed. I actually talked to the shop that did it. I paid another guy to go inspect it. I'm an old auto mechanic, so I wasn't worried about needing to work on it when I got her home. I pretty much expected it. It's been a great coach. Best of luck.
I drove around 4000 miles for a sailboat.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:30 AM   #14

That big of a cash money transfer may bring on Fed government eyes from the IRS and/or DEA for you and him

Cover your 6 with a signed receipt on the transfer of the cash.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote