Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2010, 03:45 PM   #1
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
How to spot a scam

I received this email in response to a for sale ad I have on several websites.

I was immediately suspicious for several reasons.

The guy is indicating all of these Marine units.

He doesn't indicate his rank.

He provides an international phone number which is the United Kingdom.

Quote:
Hello...

Is this Rv still available for sale ? Kindly get back to me with your
reserved price and the present condition.

Thanks

Andy Ford
+447045737931
US Marine Corps
2nd Assault Amphibian Battalion, 2nd Marine Division, II Marine
Expeditionary Force
I replied with same info that is in my ad.

He wants my PayPal account ID without agreeing on a price, sight unseen, and involves an intermediary.

I don't know how the PayPal scam works and I'm not going to find out as I'm not responding.

Quote:
Thanks for getting back to me and i appreciate your prompt reply..I am
presently out of town now but i am buying this for my family and i will
like to make the payment for this via Paypal and also my mover will
come for the pick-up...So kindly send me your Paypal account ID and i
will send the Payment for this item instantly and once the money
clears in your account ,my mover will come for the pick-up.
if you don't have a PayPal account yet, you can set one up at
www.paypal.com it cant take you less than 3mins to do that, i will be
expecting your PayPal email so l can pay and also get back to me with
your best price
on this. I will be waiting.

Also kindly send me your number to where i can contact you, Mine is
+447045737931

So kindly get back to me as soon as possible.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2010, 04:00 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Dang! My alias has been discovered. Shoot, I was this close to owning a DSDP.

I just goes to show you, the internet can be full of shady people. Always be very careful when selling (or purchasing) an item online.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:02 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I don't have a PayPal account, but I'm curious how the scam works.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:14 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Shouldn't he have the Pay- Pal account and be paying you through pay-pal??
I thought you would get money's from Pay Pal.
He's a scammer looking for your number.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:21 PM   #5

Appalachian Campers
Dirk,

He'll deposit funds in your Paypal account and after he takes possession of your property he'll challenge the transaction as unauthorized and have it reversed.

Read this: Paypal scams.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:22 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
He's a pretty dumb scammer & hasn't thought it through. Asking for YOUR account info is a dead giveaway for a scammer.

Many people have their PP account linked to their bank accounts so payments for things they sell go right to their accounts (checking/savings or whatever). What the scammers usually do is say they'll pay you via PP. When you check your account (if you have one) & see no monies, you contact the buyer & they say something like "there must be some issue, I'll try again". When the money still doesn't appear, you might get an email from PP wanting you to log in to verify info or to check to see if the buyer's money is there just not transferred to your bank account. Thinking the email is legitimate (but it isn't, it's generated by the scammer), you enter your user name/password & the scammer's got you. They go on a buying spree with your PP account & your bank account gets depleted.

I'm sure there are many more ways to scam via PP, but this is one I heard about.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:51 PM   #7

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sad part is, these reletively few scumbags put everyone on high alert for every bit of communication that goes on in a site like Craigslist. I recently bought a Toro riding mower, a Winegard movin' view (talked them down to $200! and it is like new!) and looked for a scooter, although I didn't end up buying the scoot on CL.

My point is, everytime I sent an email, tried to call or even text message, I could tell most folks were on high alert as I guess they should be. Kind of a sign of the times in which we live I guess.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:04 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just last month I won $ 800,000 all they need is my account number, and they will deposet in to my account. The fall off the tunup wagon will have to be a little higher, ya think!
Old 08-16-2010, 06:37 PM   #9

And so far this year I have received three notices frorm CitiBank that my account has been injected with so much money and all I have to do is send a "confirmation fee' and everything will be o.k.- don't even have a CitiBank account- second- received several e-mails from "DESPERATE SOULS" from overseas telling me about mine or their desperate relatives that are in dire need of cash and these relatives (of which I have none!) will perish if I do not send money - also for those that participate on Facebook, lots of scams in the last couple of months including sofisticated looking bogus e-mails- seems the criminals are looking to other avenues for their activities - ( I cannot post my replies especially to the overseas e-mails here on iRV2!!)
RV Mech Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:08 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmiles View Post
Sad part is, these reletively few scumbags put everyone on high alert for every bit of communication that goes on in a site like Craigslist. I recently bought a Toro riding mower, a Winegard movin' view (talked them down to $200! and it is like new!) and looked for a scooter, although I didn't end up buying the scoot on CL.

My point is, everytime I sent an email, tried to call or even text message, I could tell most folks were on high alert as I guess they should be. Kind of a sign of the times in which we live I guess.
Craigslist is tough these days... I have a number of things I'm trying to sell, so many spammers and scanners, the only communication method I put in the ads anymore is me cel number. They can't call me, then oh well.
Know anyone who wants a riding lawnmower, 93 corvette, or meyer snowplos for a jeep wrangler?
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:38 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
There is two ways I sell stuff on e bay and Craigs list... C A S H. Nothing else. I just sold a custom motorcycle on E bay for five grand. Several ''scammers'' wanted to do the Pay Pal thing and I laughed at them. The guy that bought the bike sent me a ''direct transfer'' into my account and I waited two weeks and then let him take the bike. My banker told me that this was the ''surest'' way not to get cheated. The cost to me 12 dollars but was well worth it.
Be advised guys. FOLKS ARE SETTING UP NIGHTS FIGURING OUT HOW TO SCAM YOU....... Like some of you, I have won over a billion dollars overseas from South Africa and England. Lots of folks are putting me in their will it seems ...... one other thing. Be careful of these scams that want you to become a ''paid shopper'' for them. They send you money to your bank account and you ''go shopping'' and send them the merchandise and then you find out their deposit was no good and the money comes out of YOUR ACCOUNT..
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seajay View Post
There is two ways I sell stuff on e bay and Craigs list... C A S H. Nothing else. I just sold a custom motorcycle on E bay for five grand. Several ''scammers'' wanted to do the Pay Pal thing and I laughed at them. The guy that bought the bike sent me a ''direct transfer'' into my account and I waited two weeks and then let him take the bike. My banker told me that this was the ''surest'' way not to get cheated. The cost to me 12 dollars but was well worth it.
Be advised guys. FOLKS ARE SETTING UP NIGHTS FIGURING OUT HOW TO SCAM YOU....... Like some of you, I have won over a billion dollars overseas from South Africa and England. Lots of folks are putting me in their will it seems ...... one other thing. Be careful of these scams that want you to become a ''paid shopper'' for them. They send you money to your bank account and you ''go shopping'' and send them the merchandise and then you find out their deposit was no good and the money comes out of YOUR ACCOUNT..
i love them, you have won the ugandan lottery, send money to claim your prize, why do i have to send money to get my prize?
hang on, i have never been to uganda
ParkyJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:34 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Dirk,

IMMEDIATELY REmove the link from your post...clicking on that link sends you too a false paypal site (THAT IS HOW THEY GET YOUR INFO)
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:58 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Be wary of Craigslist sellers who have "secure Ebay" or Ebay services accounts or any ship you the car. While half halfheartedly shopping for a Wrangler I came across a couple that looked and were too good to be true.

How the scam goes is they are in the military overseas in (pick a location) and have to sell it. Another one was getting a divorce and works as a dealer on a cruise ship. They offer to ship the vehicle to you but you can never see it, drive it or get a real phone number. I also notice you will never see a tag on the vehicle in the photos. One local listing here in the northeast had palm trees in the photo, wow the snow kills all of mine.

I play with them and ask where I can see and drive it even if it is a million miles from me. Then when I get the BS replay tell them I will send the money as soon as the Nigerian prince puts the money he promised in my account.

Bottom line is on Craigslist only deal locally with someone face to face. I have also seen the same nonsense on our local newspaper's online listing. Same advice goes there.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote