Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2018, 12:05 PM   #1

I Remember When......

Every once in awhile my foggy memory will come across some bit of my history that is long gone.

Recently I was reminiscing how we would travel every summer from Midland, MI to Houghton, MI to visit my dad's parents. Curvy, hilly two lane roads to Mackinaw City. More than once we would get stuck behind some old (or new) truck that would almost stop going up the hills. The worst were the old stinking diesels belching out oily black, smoke that we had to follow for miles because we couldn't get past them.

Once you got to Mackinaw you waited for the ferry to take you across to St. Ignace. This would be a wait of hours to half a day or more. I forget how long the ride was to cross the Straits. I remember one of the last trips on the ferry we passed under the skeleton of the Mackinac Bridge as it was being built. From there it was onward to our destination of Houghton. There was a gravel wide spot along St Rt 117 that had one picnic table where we would stop for lunch. Then there was the stretch between Seney and Shingleton that is 25 miles of straight flat nothingness. All in, it was a good 12 hour day to go 440 miles.

Of course now we have much bigger problems like those of us who only go 62-65 mph and the occasional person who stays in the left lane for a little longer than we think they should.

As I said, just reminiscing.
TCollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2018, 12:29 PM   #2

I remember when the only cars with outside rear view mirrors were cop cars.

And gas was $0.169 and that was full service!
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:14 PM   #3

Yep.........I remember those vacation trips.
Dad was an independent welder in the oilfield in WY/UT
So if on vacation no money was being made.
Trips were driving straight thru with Mom/Dad swapping off the driving tasks
WY/UT to MS and/or TN
Stops were for gas..best run to restroom otherwise it was the 'bottle' (sorry Sis)
FOOD....Mom usually made up a box of sandwiches, chips, etc but use kids would snick in and eat all the goodies within the first 6 hrs.
Dad would stop at a Stuckeys or an A&W (YEAH! ) but most of the time it would be some small no name quick stop food joint....and it was to GO.

3 kids in backseat and I was the youngest.....but I did get to sit on drivers side next to window that I dare NOT roll down (No A/C).
Dare not roll down window cause Dad chewed tobacco ......

Yep........30 hrs to get there. Then go place to place to visit all the family members then 30 hrs to get back.
Oh those were the days alright
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 05:26 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I remember when I could remember when.....
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:40 AM   #5
IC2

I remember when traffic anywhere was at least bearable and hauling the then current TT or 5er wasn't an ordeal here in the Northeast. Hauling our current 5er from our Adirondack summer CG on Monday with hordes of 'leaf peepers' going home was NOT fun. Glad my disc brake mod worked well once again
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 06:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Yep.........
Dad would stop at a Stuckeys or an A&W (YEAH! ) but most of the time it would be some small no name quick stop food joint....and it was to GO.

Remember that A&W root beer?
Trekkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 06:40 AM   #7

My dad's 1963 Ford station wagon pulling a 21 ft trailer. EZ lift hitch but slow on hills and overheating. No ac. I thought we were rich because other families in our big city neighborhood didn't have a trailer.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:08 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Geeze I thought I was the only one that remembered Gas @ .169 and full service. I would be happy to see under $2.00 now. LOL.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:55 PM   #9

Trekkar, When I was in high school I worked at an A&W as a carhop. The owner insisted on guys as carhops because we could carry a tray full of those $0.20 big heavy root beer glasses.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:48 AM   #10

The most vivid memories of vacations were two weeks of hard driving and checking into the little houses called motels. The other memory was three kids jumping from the back seat of a 63 ford station wagon into the rear luggage area to get away from our father who was trying to beat us while driving 75 mph.
MingusPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 04:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NITEHAWK View Post
Trekkar, When I was in high school I worked at an A&W as a carhop. The owner insisted on guys as carhops because we could carry a tray full of those $0.20 big heavy root beer glasses.
As a teenager, I drank many a mug while downing Trojanburgers!
Trekkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NITEHAWK View Post
Please tell me your boss didn't make you wear short shorts and roller skates.
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:29 AM   #13

Black pants, A&W plaid shirts, change "apron" with big cards with a number so one could get deliveries straight, and an A&W cap.
The owner's daughters were always trying to get their hand under my apron. Would have been a great fringe benefit except they were so darn ugly they couldn't get a date.