Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2010, 07:12 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
I said ''shux'' again also

HOW TO FIX A ''G.F.C.I'' SWITCH

Me and Willa are spending some time down here in Florida this winter and enjoying the ''wonderful weather'' that is above freezing most of the time. We have a small space heater that we use for auxiliary heat and it works good in keeping the chill off the coach.

The other day Willa noticed that the heater had stopped and we had no power on the outlets on the drivers side of the coach. I checked the resets and all was well. I went into the bathroom and the G.F.C.I. Thingie was kicked out. Like any good electrician I pushed on the top button for a ''reset'' and the button popped in and back out. I said ''Shux'' and tried it again and again it popped out. Again I said Shux real loud and started hunting the problem. I unplugged the heater and the toaster and Willa's charger thingie for her electronic book. I looked all over for anything else plugged in and found nothing so I went back to the ''switch''. I pushed on the reset and it popped back out. This time I said ''Shux and Heck'' and took a case knife and pushed the reset real hard. ''Click''... Nothing. Hummmmmm? Has to be a bad GFCI switch. It is ten years old and has kicked out several times so I figured the '' clicker out thingie'' was gone bad. I got on the phone to Lowe's and asked about a 15 amp switch and the guy said they had plenty of them. Me and Earl hopped in the pickup and headed for Vero Beach. We soon found out that the Lowe's was in the vacinity of Vero Beach after twenty miles of driving. We roamed all over heck and finally found Lowe's super store. We went inside and caught the trolly to the electrical department. (this is a really BIG STORE) The attendant said the switches were twelve bucks each or three for twenty eight dollars. I cant resist a bargin so I bough a box of three. We rambled back toward the coach and my cell rang. Willa informed me that the Hot Rod in the water tank had stopped working. I did the typical ''Man'' thing and informed her that it probably was related to the GFCI switch kicking out and not to worry about it. We got back to the coach and on the way in I simply unplugged the Hot Rod water heating element thingie. I went inside and just for the fun of it,,,,,,,,,, I hit the reset one more time and it stayed in and Willa said she had power on the wall plugs again. Huuuummmmmm? I went outside and checked for bad places in the hook up for the Hot Rod thingie. No problems so I pulled the cord out a little and plugged it back in. ''You still got power on the wall plugs baby girl?''.............. ''Yep, working fine''...... I said Shux again.
Now I have three GFCI wall plugs (white) and it is twenty three miles each way to the Lowe's super store down toward Vero Beach. The trolley in the store stops running at seven oclock and it could be raining in the electrical department by now.
Word to the wise.......
If you got a GFCI thingie that will not stay ''clicked in'' see me and I will sell you a replacement (WHITE) real cheap or you can un-plug and un-doo all your AC electrical and push the ''flamin'' reset button and see if it stays in......

This valuable information will cost you ten cents if you use it and you must pay me the next time you see me......... On the other hand.. IF IT DONT WORK FOR YOU …......I NEVER KNEW YOU.......

God bless our vets ….. ALL GAVE SOME ….. SOME GAVE ALL ...
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2010, 07:36 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:14 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seajay View Post
HOW TO FIX A ''G.F.C.I'' SWITCH

Me and Willa are spending some time down here in Florida this winter and enjoying the ''wonderful weather'' that is above freezing most of the time. We have a small space heater that we use for auxiliary heat and it works good in keeping the chill off the coach.

The other day Willa noticed that the heater had stopped and we had no power on the outlets on the drivers side of the coach. I checked the resets and all was well. I went into the bathroom and the G.F.C.I. Thingie was kicked out. Like any good electrician I pushed on the top button for a ''reset'' and the button popped in and back out. I said ''Shux'' and tried it again and again it popped out. Again I said Shux real loud and started hunting the problem. I unplugged the heater and the toaster and Willa's charger thingie for her electronic book. I looked all over for anything else plugged in and found nothing so I went back to the ''switch''. I pushed on the reset and it popped back out. This time I said ''Shux and Heck'' and took a case knife and pushed the reset real hard. ''Click''... Nothing. Hummmmmm? Has to be a bad GFCI switch. It is ten years old and has kicked out several times so I figured the '' clicker out thingie'' was gone bad. I got on the phone to Lowe's and asked about a 15 amp switch and the guy said they had plenty of them. Me and Earl hopped in the pickup and headed for Vero Beach. We soon found out that the Lowe's was in the vacinity of Vero Beach after twenty miles of driving. We roamed all over heck and finally found Lowe's super store. We went inside and caught the trolly to the electrical department. (this is a really BIG STORE) The attendant said the switches were twelve bucks each or three for twenty eight dollars. I cant resist a bargin so I bough a box of three. We rambled back toward the coach and my cell rang. Willa informed me that the Hot Rod in the water tank had stopped working. I did the typical ''Man'' thing and informed her that it probably was related to the GFCI switch kicking out and not to worry about it. We got back to the coach and on the way in I simply unplugged the Hot Rod water heating element thingie. I went inside and just for the fun of it,,,,,,,,,, I hit the reset one more time and it stayed in and Willa said she had power on the wall plugs again. Huuuummmmmm? I went outside and checked for bad places in the hook up for the Hot Rod thingie. No problems so I pulled the cord out a little and plugged it back in. ''You still got power on the wall plugs baby girl?''.............. ''Yep, working fine''...... I said Shux again.
Now I have three GFCI wall plugs (white) and it is twenty three miles each way to the Lowe's super store down toward Vero Beach. The trolley in the store stops running at seven oclock and it could be raining in the electrical department by now.
Word to the wise.......
If you got a GFCI thingie that will not stay ''clicked in'' see me and I will sell you a replacement (WHITE) real cheap or you can un-plug and un-doo all your AC electrical and push the ''flamin'' reset button and see if it stays in......

This valuable information will cost you ten cents if you use it and you must pay me the next time you see me......... On the other hand.. IF IT DONT WORK FOR YOU …......I NEVER KNEW YOU.......

God bless our vets ….. ALL GAVE SOME ….. SOME GAVE ALL ...
Been there done that except in my case it was the receptacle in the water compartment. Didn't realize it was on the same circuit. the vacuum is plugged into it. had left the compartment door open the sprinkler came on,
no power to the receptacle. took a while for the light bulb in my head to come on
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:29 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Seajay:
Do you offer FREE Holiday shipping? If you don't sell out soon; I'll hopefully be in SUNNY Florida in Feb. Cash & a shinny dime for the info.
MERRY CHRISTMAS from over the mountain...
skipwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:00 AM   #5

When my bath gfi started tripping I traced it to the receptical under the table in the slideout.Since I never used it I disconnected it in the splice box in the basement and added a receptical there.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:16 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
SeaJay, your post are the only ones I can get DW to read on forum. You make her day {How old did you say you were?} She ask every morning, what did that funny guy post today? Thanks SeaJay for your gifted talents and sharing with us. God Bless and Merry Christmas and remember our soldiers and their families.
Hammer Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:09 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ah shux Hammer.... (blush blush) (nervous giggle) (lookin down and kinda shufflin my feet).....(hands in pockets and feeling silly) (kicks a small stone and then ''scratches his leg with his sneaker'') (lookin around to see if anyone is watchin).......... '' Tks guy and Ms. Hammer too, also''...... (I gotta go tinkle).....
Me.....
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote