Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2021, 12:58 PM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I sure miss those simple times.......

Do you remember when there were service stations? I grew up in a small town of about 1500 folks, and back then there were no convenience stores with gas pumps. When you needed gas you went to one of the service stations, or "filling stations" as we called them. There were no self-service pumps. Someone, usually the owner, came out when you pulled up to the pumps. He pumped your gas, cleaned your windshield, and checked the oil. If you were a grownup you probably had a charge account at the station. He would take the receipt book with your name on it from under the register, write down the date and amount, and give you a copy. When you got paid on Friday you went back by the station and paid for your week's gas. The station would have one or two service bays, with one "grease monkey" doing oil changes, brake jobs, and other basic maintenance tasks.

Back in the 50s, there were no chain grocery stores, just the mom & pop grocery. I worked as a bag boy after school during my junior and HS years.

I sure miss those simple times.........
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2021, 01:27 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Yup there was one on every corner where I lived. Air and water were free. 10 cent soda pop and you could drive all week on 5.00 dollars worth of gas.
Old 10-16-2021, 01:40 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I was in High School did both. I worked in a Filling Station and you always checked the oil and water and washed the windows. We even checked the tire pressure if asked. I bagged groceries and you never asked if they wanted help with the bags, you just did it.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 01:58 PM   #4

With the advent of self serve came the canopies ( and overhead clearance issues ); can't have the gas customer standing out in the rain ; that was ok for the gas jockey .

My dad had me doing the free tire air pressure checks at the gas station , before he'd allow me to pump gas .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Old garage photo.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	338.1 KB
ID:	346270  
Old 10-16-2021, 02:01 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Definitely. When I was a kid I would be sent by my mom to Liberty Market (the corner market in Gilbert AZ) for a gallon of milk or a loaf of bread. It’s now a trendy restaurant. :-)
Old 10-16-2021, 02:12 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yep, out local standard oil man wore the uniform and did all you recall. As a kid you could go watch him work on cars as long as you didn’t mess with any of his tools. He would work on cards until he heard a car roll over the hose that rang a bell. He had a rattlesnake skin mounted on the wall in his shop that was all of 12 feet long. But the candy on the shelf always had little holes in it haha.

Did you snap open the grocery bags? That was my favorite part. If you mis loaded it, the whole think split.

Great times for sure
FloridaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 07:32 PM   #7

DAD owned a Service Station. across the street from the Court House/Police Dept
He serviced all of their vehicles

I washed their patrol cars.

When Customer drove in...Ding, Ding, Ding you had best me out there before the sound of the last Ding was a memory.
Yes Ma'am, Yes Sir....fill 'er up with Ethyl or Regular?
Wash the windshield, check the oil, quick check of the belts etc

That'll be $3.50 Ma'am, Sir....cash or credit?

I was 15 and NOT how I wanted to spend my weekends/summer time.

Did you have Neighborhood Market?
Ours was 2 blocks from house......snack in the middle of neighborhood. Miles form any other market/store
*Still there and now is a upscale coffee/tea and selected cheese/meats store. (Scaled down Trader Joe's ....LOL)

Simpler times-----maybe just nostalgia!

SKIP..........
You were a CUTE KID!!!
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 08:28 PM   #8

Gas .16/gal, free air, free window wash, free oil check, free "red ball" for antenna!

Bill
bneiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 08:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post

SKIP..........
You were a CUTE KID!!!
Heavy on the " were " I did grow into the ears , and what's left of my hair is the same color ; I'm sure that " cute " left the building 65 odd years ago .
Old 10-16-2021, 10:29 PM   #10

I really do miss those "simple times", even though I remember there was a lot of work involved. However, I think everything was better because most people behaved better.
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32SA
High Road Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 08:03 AM   #11

One of my high school buddies Dad owned a full service station. Not always fun when it was freezing and someone came in wanted fuel, tires checked, oil checked. Back then they could right a bad check and you didn’t know it. Also detailed cars we put the steel wash bucket on a gas heater to heat the water.
Old 10-17-2021, 08:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
One of my high school buddies Dad owned a full service station. Not always fun when it was freezing and someone came in wanted fuel, tires checked, oil checked. Back then they could right a bad check and you didn’t know it. Also detailed cars we put the steel wash bucket on a gas heater to heat the water.
I'm trying real hard to remember.....but did we even have checks in those days?
bneiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 09:17 AM   #13

I remember when you could write a check on a piece of brown wrapping paper and the bank would honor it ! You bought coil oil for your lamps , and we wore the same clothes to school all week and didn't get them dirty ! Some things I do miss and some not so much !!
swampdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 09:29 AM   #14

Gas, full service, S&H Green stamps, and a free glass--all for $0.16/gallon.
Oh, for the good old gas wars!! Even bought gas for $0.14.9/gallon
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hose