Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2021, 09:54 PM   #57

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was constantly working on one of our 4 cars nearly every weekend because something would break during the week.
Now it's a different kind of vehicle with a house on top of a truck frame. Every weekend and after every trip.
Times haven't changed. Just a lot more expensive!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2021, 08:32 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtlyle View Post
Maps! Free maps. How I loved getting one each time and following the routes my dad was driving out west from KC. I still love maps!
Remember how difficult it was for the average person to fold those filling station maps. Only people who could do that on the first try were truckers.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 09:00 AM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In 1966 and 67 I was in the Army in Maryland. Evenings I worked at a Texaco to make a little more money for my family. I had two coworkers who were also Army. At that time there were only three Vietnam vets on the post and the Colonel decided it would just great if his vets led PT and whipped the fat scientists the post had into shape. OK, sounds like fun to me. I'm now a DI.

Well anyway, One night we had the whole outfit lined up for their exercises when I looked at my partner. There he stood in front of the whole post wearing his Texaco cap with the big red star.👀
I whispered, 'Hey Ed, are you in the red army now?" The troops were sniggering, but we made them pay for that after he changed hats.

Actually, the troops learned to like our PT. Strange.
2002 Journey DL 36, 3126 Cat 330hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 09:09 AM   #60

I remember wrapping oats when we were getting ready for threshing time. Wrapping a few stems around a bundle and then stacking them in "clumps'
(all this right after my uncle bought his farm and didn't have anything but man and boy power.)
I remember the time when my four year old brother fell on a new wooden pencil and it went thru his heart and lung and killed him. Medicine back then didn't mess with the heart. How things have changed for the better!!
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 10:33 AM   #61

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Gads! All of you are really old if you remember that stuff. Wait, so do I! I’m old too! Arrgggh!
Jchemie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 11:35 AM   #62

Yeah, it was great...the guy comes out, steals the gas cap, slops a quart of gas down the side of the car, checks your oil (and charges you for an overpriced quart you don't need-if you're lucky, it's not used oil poured into a new container)-maybe gives your radiator hose or fan belt a swipe with a razor.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 11:38 AM   #63
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle View Post
Yeah, it was great...the guy comes out, steals the gas cap, slops a quart of gas down the side of the car, checks your oil (and charges you for an overpriced quart you don't need-if you're lucky, it's not used oil poured into a new container)-maybe gives your radiator hose or fan belt a swipe with a razor.
Man, you must have had an awful childhood!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 12:40 PM   #64

you can trust your car to the man who wears the star the big bright texaco star. esso put a tiger in your tank! gulf ,no knocks! good gulf, gasoline
smkymtnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 02:42 PM   #65

My Grandfather was a Ford line mechanic in MO, and when he got laid off during the depression, he opened his own service station in the tiny town of (then 300) I grew up in. He did everything from oil changes to complete rebuilds and rebuilt components like starters and generators instead of replacing them.
He got this from Standard Oil after he had a stroke and had to retire. I barely remember him, but Dad and I inherited his mechanical logic I believe.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3511.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	380.5 KB
ID:	346950
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 02:55 PM   #66
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
My Grandfather was a Ford line mechanic in MO, and when he got laid off during the depression, he opened his own service station in the tiny town of (then 300) I grew up in. He did everything from oil changes to complete rebuilds and rebuilt components like starters and generators instead of replacing them.
He got this from Standard Oil after he had a stroke and had to retire. I barely remember him, but Dad and I inherited his mechanical logic I believe.
Attachment 346950
That's quite an honor! Do you know what year they gave him that?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 03:14 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
That's quite an honor! Do you know what year they gave him that?

My Dad has passed so canít ask, but educated guess would be late 50ís.

I inherited the property the station was on (little over an acre) but the building is gone. Keeping it for sentimental reasons. Thinking about putting a couple rv lots on it.

Town has grown to a whopping 400 give or take.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 09:50 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by NITEHAWK View Post
Gas, full service, S&H Green stamps, and a free glass--all for $0.16/gallon.
Oh, for the good old gas wars!! Even bought gas for $0.14.9/gallon
Dang, I forgot all about the S&H green stamps.
mwberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 01:37 AM   #69

Country Coach Owners Club
Best thread lately!! Thanks for all of the memories. I call it VERBAL CARBON DATING. Iíve worked at that service station, and that hay farm and I remember when the gas stations would give you dishes and glass ware to buy their gas, for .40 cents a gallon. Of course I was working for $200 per month in back then.
ereck.po is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 02:40 AM   #70

Winnebago Owners Club
I remember working at age 11-12 at a farm in Wisconsin that grew cherries and apples. We would prepare and can them for bakeries. My job was to load the 15# and 30# cans on the chute that went down to the canning line. I also filled the sugar chute with 50# bags of sugar. Made $1.25 an hour in the early 60's. Also ran over cherry trees with a large sprayer while towing it with a tractor. Grandpa and dad were not happy.

Tags
hose