Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2021, 08:36 PM   #29

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Joe,
Trade you loading feed/seed bags for stacking 120# hay bales in the barn
Fun times......LOL

Back in the 1950s I lifted 80 to 85 lb bales over my head all day. Today I have trouble carrying a case of wine out of the winery.

Glenn
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2021, 06:38 AM   #30
tcg

How about having to be sure your tank was full for the weekend especially Sunday because you may not find an open station.

Or grocery stores not open 24 hours so you needed to think ahead for your your beer and wine needs.

We were cleaning out the attic this spring and came across a bank passbook. Remember non computerized banking? A teller wrote your balance in the book when you deposited or withdrew your money.

I think/hope with all that's going on in the world that we go back to a non 24 hour lifestyle.

I hope the Black Friday nonsense finally comes to an end allowing people to spend the holiday with their family instead of putting up with inconsiderate shoppers at 4 am.

I love the modern convenient world but there is something to be said for the simpler times.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 07:29 AM   #31

My brothers and i delivered newspapers in the late 50's and 60's, and on Fridays we would collect 42 cents from everyone for the weeks worth of papers. EXCEPT for Old Mrs. McKinnie down the block. Dad would give me the 42 cents plus a 8 cent tip for her papers and told me to just stop by her house and 'jaw with her'. Her husband was killed in WW11 and she was just squeaking by. I can remember Dad and one of us boys going to her house to fix something and in return she would cook us a meal. Gosh she was a horrible cook! But we would eat it and tell her how grateful we were for her cooking!

Dad made us boys turn wrenches at a early age. But one of my sisters told me she was so jealous watching us tinkering with cars when she had to stay inside to do girls' work cleaning and cooking!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170527_195301.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	230.1 KB
ID:	346493  
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 07:29 PM   #32
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Joe,
Trade you loading feed/seed bags for stacking 120# hay bales in the barn
Fun times......LOL

No thanks! I can't stand hay down my shirt!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 07:35 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
No thanks! I can't stand hay down my shirt!
That's not the only place it gets into
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 07:36 PM   #34
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Handling hay bales was one chore that I never had much experience with!
Old 10-20-2021, 04:09 PM   #35

Delivered newspapers. rode my bike down the middle of the street at 4:00 am. Threw plenty of hay bales. Liked being the stacker the best. Worked at a feed store. some of the bags I could not throw. Would use my knee to help get them in the back of the truck.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 04:25 PM   #36
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Remember Lisa on Green Acres? "I get allergic smelling hay!"
Old 10-20-2021, 09:38 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Was a pump jockey for a couple of years in high school. Challenging, finding where all the gas caps were hidden. Behind license plates, taillights and on different sides of the car. Then a Volkswagen came in and really stumped us. Owner had a good time watching us look for it.

Also did time buckin bales. Pump jockey was easier.
Old 10-20-2021, 10:35 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubbyjig View Post
I agree , before the bale handling equipment was all the rage , bales were laying in the field , had to pull ( carry ) three or four together and stand them to dry , three days later , onto the wagon , off the wagon onto the conveyer , off the conveyer and stacked ; each bale handled four times. Alfalfa 150 lbs average.
Three cuts a season off the field .
Old 10-21-2021, 08:23 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
I agree , before the bale handling equipment was all the rage , bales were laying in the field , had to pull ( carry ) three or four together and stand them to dry , three days later , onto the wagon , off the wagon onto the conveyer , off the conveyer and stacked ; each bale handled four times. Alfalfa 150 lbs average.
Three cuts a season off the field .
This hay thing still exists for us. We had 2 square bale balers but sold both within the last year. We’re now exclusively round bale farmers because that’s what almost 100% want.
Not being able to find people to haul square bales and fire ants have dictated what we do. Used to be you could haul hay left overnight in the field but nowadays the fire ants are a real problem. The fire ants can be just as bad as hay in your shorts. Lol.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 03:17 PM   #40

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Jayco Owners Club
My first job was pumping gas at a British/American (B/A) station. I was happy to get $0.25 cents a week and when they had to let me go, I got a 50 cent piece. For that, I pumped gas, washed windows and anything else that was requested/needed. Those were the good old days for sure. BTW, frozen fudge bars were a nickel each so that bought me one every day on my walk home from school (2 miles uphill to and from school of course.....in the snow).
Marshalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 03:48 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubbyjig View Post
Was a pump jockey for a couple of years in high school. Challenging, finding where all the gas caps were hidden. Behind license plates, taillights and on different sides of the car. Then a Volkswagen came in and really stumped us. Owner had a good time watching us look for it.

The one that truly stumped me was the "48 cadillac"! I might be off a year, or two but it was the one with the filler cap under the left side tail light. You had to press in on the reflector to expose it..... I was 14 years old and the owner of that car was busting my A-- to hurry, knowing I had no idea where to put the filler nozzle! He left me a good tip so I guess it was just his way of having fun.
bneiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 04:37 PM   #42

No longer a cigarette smoker, but can not forget the cigarette machines, put in .35 cents select smokes and pull the handle and had my pall malls.

Tags
hose