Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2019, 09:11 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
ICE In Case of Emergency

I’ve been thinking lately about what might happen when we are on a trip if an accident or illness put my wife or myself or worse both of us out of commission. For example if we were in an auto accident and left unable to communicate. I imagine eventually by our driver’s license or auto tag our relatives would eventually be contacted. But our dogs, back in the RV, might not last that long..

I have phone numbers on my phone that are listed under ICE, In Case of Emergency, but the phone is locked with a passcode so I don’t know what good that would do.

What do you readers do so the authorities will know where you are staying in the local area?

Ed
‘05 HR Ambassador
‘17 Expedition
neoflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2019, 09:24 PM   #2

Your phone still is able to call/list your programmed emergency contacts even with a passcode...I’ve found several phones out in the dunes and found their owners this way.

As for pets in the trailer, maybe a post-it stuck to your liecence or placard somewhere?
Old 02-10-2019, 09:49 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Yes...the ICE app is designed to open, even though your phone is locked. It will also identify things like your blood type and any special medical issues.

Lately, we've seen a few rigs where people made nice little placards (engraved like a name tag) and hung on the entry door window with a suction cup/hook that had a phone number if something happens to the rig or a pet issue.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:59 PM   #4

My wife and 3 grown sons are all listed as ICE in my phone's contacts list. My phone is not locked. I place a small sign with my cell phone number in the passenger side window whenever we leave the coach.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:23 AM   #5

These folks have a whole array of products to address your issue.

https://www.roadid.com/
Old 02-11-2019, 06:46 AM   #6

I have my cell phone number on the coach door, in case there's an issue at the campground while we are out and about. I use an image of the ICE phone number as the lock screen wallpaper on the phone. No one needs to know any special trick to see that.

Maybe a sticker on the back of the phone would be better, though, in case the battery dies or phone damaged.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:31 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
Thanks for all the responses. I need to be sure my iPhone is set up properly for ICE.

Being the paranoid type I go straight to the worst case scenario, my wife and I and the car are burned to a crisp and the dogs are back in the RV. The phones might be destroyed in that situation. The authorities wouldn’t have any idea where we are staying. Is there such a thing as a non-destructible ID card for our wallets that we could put ICE info on? Any other ideas.

Ed
‘05 HR Ambassador
Old 02-11-2019, 08:34 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
These folks have a whole array of products to address your issue.

https://www.roadid.com/
Excellent. Thanks

Ed
‘05 Ambassador
Old 02-11-2019, 10:47 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Yes...the ICE app is designed to open, even though your phone is locked. It will also identify things like your blood type and any special medical issues.

Lately, we've seen a few rigs where people made nice little placards (engraved like a name tag) and hung on the entry door window with a suction cup/hook that had a phone number if something happens to the rig or a pet issue.
I don't think our old I-Phone 5's have that feature. At least I don't know where to find it!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:42 AM   #10

This topic has been addressed many times on irv2.com. Emergency/rescue personnel will not look at a cell-phone, their job is to keep you alive until they get you to an emergency room; hospital personnel and law enforcement do look for contact information however.

The I.C.E. acronym has been abused so much, IMO it's hard to tell what someone is talking about. For instance there is a totally different thread here about ICE, what they are talking about is an internal combustion engine/ICE. Tthen there is the original ICE - Immigration and Customs Enforcement.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:51 AM   #11

ICE information

The old school method works too. I keep ICE information typed on a folded paper in my wallet. In bolded yellow background that shows front and center in my tri-fold wallet is ICE INFO. We also fold another paper into this on each trip that shows we have dogs at such and such RV park. Never needed this but it's good insurance.
Safetysteve5 is offline   Reply With Quote