Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2010, 01:00 AM   #29

Send a message via Skype™ to GSGracie
Well my take on the saying is as follows (and I posted it so my ideas count for more than others ):

If I toss two coins in the air and one of them shows a head, what is the probability that the OTHER coin shows a head? Many people think that the THEORY is that the other coin has only two choices, so the chances are 1 out of 2 (or 50:50 for some of you). However, do an experiment, by tossing a coin lots of times, (and ignoring all the cases where both of the coins do NOT show a head), and you will find that the other coin only shows a head 1/3 or the time. I.e., the PRACTICE shows the initial theory to be wrong. The same situation occurs in a game show where the winning contestant has to choose between three doors, one of which has a big prize, the other two booby prizes. As the winner, you choose, say, door no 1. The host now tells you that the prize is NOT behind say, door 3. Of course there is always a door he can say that about, and he knows where the prize is. What should you now do? There are two doors, one of which has a prize, one a booby. Should you change your choice, or stay with the original, or does it not make any difference? Well you are twice as likely to win the prize if you CHANGE your choice than if you stay with the original selection. PRACTICE will prove me right, no amount of (simple) theory will help you get here, unless you have a deep knowledge of Probability.

And I am sure that many of you have had a graduate student come to work for you who knows EVERYTHING in THEORY about your operation, except that he has no PRACTICAL knowledge of what really happens...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!