Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
In the not too distant future....

.....A Day Made of Glass 2
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2013, 01:28 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to ShesJustJodi
My initial thought was "That was very futuristic." But as I type this on my iPhone, I realize I couldn't imagine owning a smartphone like this just 20 years ago! LOL

Thanks for sharing.
ShesJustJodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #3

That video kind of made me uneasy. I get frustrated when I cant figure out the microwave buttons much less a glass dashboard with 400 things going on.
gajd33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Amazing! I'll never see it but I bet my grandchildren will!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:42 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Impressive, I hope to see some of it in my lifetime. Hope it's not powered by Microsoft
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:14 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Amazing! I'll never see it but I bet my grandchildren will!
I wouldn't be so sure about that ... there are already glass top computer tables and much of this technology is not really that far off.

Touchscreens are already a part of all of our daily lives in the way of ATM's, SmartPhones, Tablets, etc.

With all the advances in technology just over the last decade, I would not be surprised if we saw many of these items make it to "affordable" consumer products in the next decade.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:18 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When you look at technologies like this, it's hard not to see the future in the past - shows like Star Trek, movies like iRobot and Minority Report.

Flip communicators from Star Trek - flip phones are now more than a decade old.

Touch screen devices from Star Trek - most of us use them in our daily lives in the forms of smartphones, tablets - even ATM's.

In fact, there are now medical devices that will integrate with your smartphone to give you reading on heart rate, blood pressure, glucose, ekg and more.

It's fascinating to me that the "storytellers" of our recent past weren't that far off from the future!
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:20 PM   #8

Thats pretty neat. sad to say i seen on the news the other day. there is now a disease for people that are addicted to their smart phones...If it wasnt for such a good thing to have just incase. i wouldnt own a phone
LaZy507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:02 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
new use for smart phone

NBCNews.com Video Player

now this is good stuff. maybe one of these days I will have to get me a smart phone so I can communicate with my doctor.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:44 AM   #10

Great. Just what we need. more computerized stuff that doesn't work right and is always broken and not able to be fixed. Don't get me wrong computers have changed my life, after all I'm typing this on one right now, and I order a lot of RV parts from the internet. But, sometimes I think there just something more to go wrong. I got a buddy with a 2000 Ford f-150 that won't run right and were starting to think we have to junk it out because something is wrong with the computerized part of it and fixing it is too expensive. My 2004 Chevy 1500 has had the check engine light on for 2 years. My flat screen TV has a worse picture then the old tube type used to have and when it breaks you throw it away. Back in the day I used to be able to fix a TV myself by changing out the tubes in the back. I'm not looking forward to a future where there are so many screens around filled with 100's of things I don't know what to do with and that are always broken anyway.

I have some friends that don't even own a computer. All they own is a simple pay as you go cell phone and vehicles with carburetors. They seem to be happy and live just fine.
Caveman CBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:44 AM   #11
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I disagree. All of the comuterized items I have are working fine. Last evening I updated my DW's iPad to the newest version which extends battery life. The upgrade went flawlessly. I cannot remember the last time I have had a problem with the 3 MAC's I have. I can remember about 3 years ago a problem on a PC Laptop, but it was just a matter of using the backup disk and since then I have not had any problems.

Most of the problems created with computers are caused by the owner doing something they are not experienced in or just plain making a mistake. Are computers 100% without flaws? No, but my body, made by someone who really knows things, is not without flaws also. Automobiles break and it does not matter if the have a computer or not. Are the prices higher for computer operated items, most likely. is it more difficult to pay for those higher priced items. Yes. Look at the price of an automobile in the 1950's, around $3000 or so dollars compared to today's market of $30,000. In 1950 it took my dad several years to pay off $3k, and today, it still takes several years to pay off $30k. Times change.

The biggest resistance to change is change itself. We become accustomed to the piece of software we are using, or the computer and positions of buttons. When an update comes out and they move one of those items, resistance sets in. I just go with the flow as change is inevitable.

Happy trails.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:54 AM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
OK Wayne, let me be sure I get this straight. If electronic thingys do not work for me, it is either the electronic thingys or it is my ignorance of all things digital. Well, my middle name is ANALOG so I am voting for the problem being the electronics. Where is HAL when you need him?

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:18 AM   #13

i really want that big tv...awsome...jeff
Old 02-25-2013, 10:55 AM   #14
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
GIGO = Garbage in, Garbage out.

Ron, you know "yourself" better than anyone else. :-)

p.s., I believe the technology is there to make things so they don't break. However, then the manufacturer cannot sell you something new when it breaks.

It goes back to the old adage of "If the smoke escapes, it needs to be sent back to China and have new smoke inserted."

My OP will happen. I presently use two screens on one computer. I look at iRV2 on the iMAc and a separate monitor has my email off the iMac. Before the iMac I did the same thing with the PC. When working in IT Security at NASA I had two monitors for one computer.

Technology changes.