RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2020, 05:36 AM   #883

Good morning Indiana crew! Been a while since I've checked into any RV forums - life's been busy.
Quick updates for us:
1. Our 2-week London/Paris trip is, of course, cancelled. We did get nearly all of our reservation $$ back (literally down to less than $100 unrefunded), so that takes some of the sting out of it. Now trying to decide on rebooking for June '21 or June '22.

2. Work has been crazy these last 12 weeks (I work at a local hospital). Ended up testing positive for COVID antibodies but have no idea when I got it as I've been well the entire time. . . Fortunately the rest of the family has been healthy too - probably my biggest worry during this time.

3. Camping - did a 3 night stay at Versailles SP last week. Boy was it soggy down there. Standing water every morning from the overnight rains. Puddles would reduce during the day only to be refilled every night. Muddy rutted grass everywhere as people struggles to get large units into small spots in this older campground. One guy put 12+ inch deep ruts all through a 300-400 sq ft area - what a mess. CG staff didn't seem too happy about it.

Despite the rain, we had a great time. Got a pair of inflatable kayaks and had a great time on the lake. Also did a lot of bike riding.

4. Future camping - heading to a local favorite next week - White River Campground.
It's a small county-owned CG on the White River and just a fun place to get away w/o driving far. Going during the week and I'll still drive in to work, but at least we're camping, right?

We have a 4 night trip planned for late July to Mackinaw - staying at Mackinaw Mill Creek CG. Will go to the island, and spend one day going up to Sault Ste Marie. I had wanted to go on up into the UP of Michigan and come down through Wisconsin, but not enough time.

Also contemplating a fall break trip down to Gulf Shores 2-3 nights and possibly over to New Orleans for a couple more. That one's still in the early planning stages. If anyone has campground tips for the New Orleans area, I'd appreciate the info.

I'm sure we'll fit in another weekend here or there, but given the circumstances we'll be happy with what we can get.

Tom and Patty - amazing new rig. Wow! I'm sure they are out there, but I've never ever seen a Wanderlodge that was in anything but amazing condition. People who buy them seem to really tend to look after them well.

Pete

purduepete97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2020, 12:01 PM   #884

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by purduepete97 View Post
Good morning Indiana crew! Been a while since I've checked into any RV forums - life's been busy.
Quick updates for us:
1. Our 2-week London/Paris trip is, of course, cancelled. We did get nearly all of our reservation $$ back (literally down to less than $100 unrefunded), so that takes some of the sting out of it. Now trying to decide on rebooking for June '21 or June '22.

2. Work has been crazy these last 12 weeks (I work at a local hospital). Ended up testing positive for COVID antibodies but have no idea when I got it as I've been well the entire time. . . Fortunately the rest of the family has been healthy too - probably my biggest worry during this time.

3. Camping - did a 3 night stay at Versailles SP last week. Boy was it soggy down there. Standing water every morning from the overnight rains. Puddles would reduce during the day only to be refilled every night. Muddy rutted grass everywhere as people struggles to get large units into small spots in this older campground. One guy put 12+ inch deep ruts all through a 300-400 sq ft area - what a mess. CG staff didn't seem too happy about it.

Despite the rain, we had a great time. Got a pair of inflatable kayaks and had a great time on the lake. Also did a lot of bike riding.

4. Future camping - heading to a local favorite next week - White River Campground.
It's a small county-owned CG on the White River and just a fun place to get away w/o driving far. Going during the week and I'll still drive in to work, but at least we're camping, right?

We have a 4 night trip planned for late July to Mackinaw - staying at Mackinaw Mill Creek CG. Will go to the island, and spend one day going up to Sault Ste Marie. I had wanted to go on up into the UP of Michigan and come down through Wisconsin, but not enough time.

Also contemplating a fall break trip down to Gulf Shores 2-3 nights and possibly over to New Orleans for a couple more. That one's still in the early planning stages. If anyone has campground tips for the New Orleans area, I'd appreciate the info.

I'm sure we'll fit in another weekend here or there, but given the circumstances we'll be happy with what we can get.

Tom and Patty - amazing new rig. Wow! I'm sure they are out there, but I've never ever seen a Wanderlodge that was in anything but amazing condition. People who buy them seem to really tend to look after them well.

Pete

Pete you will love Gulf Shores State Park if that is where you are going. Boardwalks are outstanding.

It does seem many of the Blue Birds are well taken care of. Almost a cult....like the Alpine owners too!

Well the Bird is finally a true Indiana coach, staying in Ouabache State Park one night.
What a horrible site we were directed to at 10:15 PM. I hate getting into campgrounds that I am not familiar with in the dark.
We couldnít get level in site 79. And there were plenty of other open sites to accommodate us in the 40ís and 60ís. Next time I will pick and choose. And watch the trees. Just donít get it why trees are never trimmed up.

Made it to M and M RV Electronics for a general check up and tweeks, working towards having a bullet proof coach for the most part. This last stop gets me through all the systems. Maybe need new batteries. $$$$

Travel safe everyone!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4922.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	620.6 KB
ID:	288110

Old 06-03-2020, 05:06 PM   #885

Yes, looking at Gulf Shores State Park. Glad to hear it is a good one!

Did you get to see the bison at Oaubache?

Pete
Old 06-07-2020, 11:20 AM   #886

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Yes, looking at Gulf Shores State Park. Glad to hear it is a good one!

Did you get to see the bison at Oaubache?

Pete

Pete, we got in at 10:15 at night and left at 8:30. So we didnít get a chance to walk around except for Hannahís morning constitution walk.
Old 06-07-2020, 11:26 AM   #887

Alpine Owners Club
We made it to Shipshewana North Campground and Amish Cabins. Sam and Uma are very gracious hosts and have a very nicely kept campground
32 Blue Birds landed (Iím already speaking BB lingo ) for the rally. I think the oldest were from the late 70ís. Still in great condition.
This one was I believe an 85-87 model, 40í tag and grossed at 42K pounds. 275,000 miles!!
Never had been to Shipshewana so we will need to go back to sightsee. Most of my time was learning about mechanics......Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4969.JPG
Size:	512.1 KB
ID:	288628
Old 06-07-2020, 11:43 AM   #888

Alpine Owners Club
Pete, Gulf State Park boardwalks. Miles of them. We rode our rented electric bikes all over the area.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8011.JPG
Size:	503.4 KB
ID:	288630
Old 06-25-2020, 07:06 PM   #889

Hello from Lebanon, IN. Here since 1996.

We haven't been able to roam this year and it's strange not to hit the road.
Roadgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 03:59 AM   #890

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadgypsy View Post
Hello from Lebanon, IN. Here since 1996.

We haven't been able to roam this year and it's strange not to hit the road.
Welcome Roadgypsy....

I am from right down the road in Brownsburg. Have a good friend in Lebanon and spent some hours in the Legion there....and the car show on the Square, county fair, local symphony performances, etc. Heck - I've probably spent more time there than here....LOL

Don't be afraid to just in here - - we can get chatty at times.

g
Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:48 AM   #891

Welcome Roadgypsy!

Hope all are well. We're doing great - trying our best to find our way in this new "normal." Coming up on a short trip back to White River Campground. If you haven't been there before, you should check it out. If you haven't been there in a while, you should go back. They now have a bridge over the river that connects the CG to Koteewi Park. Koteewi has horse trails, bike/walking trails, archery range, high ropes course, fishing, horseback riding stables, etc. Soon (hearing this fall) a recreational lake for kayaking/fishing/swimming.

Late July we're heading to Mackinaw Mill Creek Campground for a few nights. First trip to Mackinaw for our family. Planning to do a full day on the island, a day trip to Sault Ste Marie, and seeing some of the local history (lighthouses, forts, etc). If you've been and have any "can't miss" activities, please let me know.

Plans still coming together for Fall Break trip to Gulf Shores. Still not sure if we'll head back home from there directly or via a westerly route (through Hot Springs Arkansas). Had thought about swinging over to catch New Orleans for a night or two, but may leave that for a different time.

We had an ant infestation in our outside storage compartment. . .argghh. Hundreds (probably thousands) in there milling about. Emptied everything out, unleashed chemical warfare, then proceeded to vacuum up the remains. Over 2 hrs of cleanup - at 2 PM on one of the hottest days of the year so far. Gotta love camping! The good news is that, somehow some way, there is zero evidence of infestation inside the camper itself. We'll be keeping a close eye on things to make sure.

Safe travels everyone!

Pete
Old 06-29-2020, 12:33 PM   #892
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi Roadgypsy! I'm kinda an honorary member here....I'm from OH....somehow they let me in the group even though I'm not an IU or Purdue fan.

We're not going out of state this season. Just too many people aren't being respectful of others; not social distancing or wearing masks. We've got several outings planned at close-by campgrounds & we've got a few days scheduled at the FMCA campground in Cinci. That's as close to hitting a state border as I wanna get. Wanted to get that in before they fold due to their plummeting membership & close the campground.

Hope you get a chance to get out. It has been a strange year for sure.

Stay safe everybody!

Lori-
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:42 AM   #893

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Wanted to get that in before they fold due to their plummeting membership & close the campground.

Stay safe everybody

Lori-
Do you think FMCA will fold??

I hope not......it is a good organization.

I can understand how people would be upset not getting a refund for a International Rally - but they did get a credit slip for a future rally and I have learned most people who attend FMCA rallies go year after year....so it's not like the credit will go unused in a lot of cases..

And being upset over a $25 per year dues increase for a benefit that would otherwise cost over $100 per month.....I don't get it....???

Not sure what you are going to do when in Cincy but the Bourbon Trail is just over the river.....have fun.

g
Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:11 AM   #894

Also from the Buckeye State, but do our fair share of camping in Indiana. Rough couple years, between bi-lateral knee replacement May of 2019 to Covid this year.

Did make it to Richmond KOA a few weeks ago. Under new ownership, will be interesting to see how this unfolds.

Last weekend in Middlebury IN. Some friends came down from MI to visit with us.

I am planning to make the trip to Shipshewanna, next year to replace the guts of our Dometic Fridge with JC Refrigeration's 12VDC compressor upgrade.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:23 AM   #895

National RV Owners Club
We really enjoyed the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum in Whitefish Point in the UP. Don't forget to stop at Bessie's for a pasty in St. Ignace on the way.
Quote:
Welcome Roadgypsy!

Hope all are well. We're doing great - trying our best to find our way in this new "normal." Coming up on a short trip back to White River Campground. If you haven't been there before, you should check it out. If you haven't been there in a while, you should go back. They now have a bridge over the river that connects the CG to Koteewi Park. Koteewi has horse trails, bike/walking trails, archery range, high ropes course, fishing, horseback riding stables, etc. Soon (hearing this fall) a recreational lake for kayaking/fishing/swimming.

Late July we're heading to Mackinaw Mill Creek Campground for a few nights. First trip to Mackinaw for our family. Planning to do a full day on the island, a day trip to Sault Ste Marie, and seeing some of the local history (lighthouses, forts, etc). If you've been and have any "can't miss" activities, please let me know.

Plans still coming together for Fall Break trip to Gulf Shores. Still not sure if we'll head back home from there directly or via a westerly route (through Hot Springs Arkansas). Had thought about swinging over to catch New Orleans for a night or two, but may leave that for a different time.

We had an ant infestation in our outside storage compartment. . .argghh. Hundreds (probably thousands) in there milling about. Emptied everything out, unleashed chemical warfare, then proceeded to vacuum up the remains. Over 2 hrs of cleanup - at 2 PM on one of the hottest days of the year so far. Gotta love camping! The good news is that, somehow some way, there is zero evidence of infestation inside the camper itself. We'll be keeping a close eye on things to make sure.

Safe travels everyone!

Pete
Old 06-30-2020, 11:48 AM   #896
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Glenn View Post
Do you think FMCA will fold??
They may not fold but they sure are in trouble. Not enough influx of new members. They can't sustain that IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Glenn View Post
Not sure what you are going to do when in Cincy but the Bourbon Trail is just over the river.....have fun.
Thanks. We'll find something...assuming something is open. With more increases in COVID cases & hospitalizations up here, I could see our Governor considering backtracking on what he opened. If nothing else, at least the coach is getting a run on the highway every now & then, plus we're getting to use it. I hate it just sitting with little use during RV-ing season.

Lori-

There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote