Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2018, 04:13 PM   #15
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I applaud him for doing that! Those situations probably cause as many accidents as speeding!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2018, 04:56 PM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
If they did this in Florida we could pay off the national debt from the fines
Ain't that the truth. We call the right lane the "passing lane" down here.

<'))))>(
RV Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 05:22 PM   #17

Jeeez, one person called him a hero in a tweet. It's not like he is going to get a medal and a permanent special parking space with a sign.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:24 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
Jeeez, one person called him a hero in a tweet. It's not like he is going to get a medal and a permanent special parking space with a sign.
If he comes to work in Tampa I’ll pay for the sign
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:04 PM   #19

I live in Indiana, state law says the left lane is a passing lane on rural interstates, otherwise all traffic should use the right lane. BTW, that right lane has a minimum speed limit = 45 MPH, which has been evaluated as the minimum safe speed for Indiana interstates.

Anyone remember when the left lane (in Western states mostly) was called the Mumfort lane, and why?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:17 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
...Anyone remember when the left lane (in Western states mostly) was called the Mumfort lane, and why?
Monfort, not Mumfort. Monfort Trucking drivers had the rep, deserved or not, for staying in the left lane with the hammer down.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:31 PM   #21

Old 06-18-2018, 09:38 PM   #22

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Anyone that calls that officer a hero would instantly change their tune if he wrote you a ticket.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:47 AM   #23

The slow poke law in California only applies to traveling less than the posted speed limit. In other words, if the speed limit is 65, a driver can be in any lane traveling 65 without violating the impeading traffic law. In reality, traffic flows higher than the posted limit, especially in the left lanes. I normally stay up with traffic whatever the speed.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:05 AM   #24

I slow poke. But I pay attention and if someone needs to get around I let them. I leave early enough that if something happens I have time to deal with it. Like a flat tire. No tire will ever be imune to nails and debris. Mainly, there was a time when i was so wound up everything I did was hurry upa nd rush. Not any more.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:57 AM   #25

Next, go after the truckers who intentionally block both lanes of traffic and create miles and miles of backup.
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 02:38 PM   #26

Nothing new here, I got pulled over in 1968 in Indiana for driving in the fast lane.
No social media back then.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:58 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
Monfort, not Mumfort. Monfort Trucking drivers had the rep, deserved or not, for staying in the left lane with the hammer down.
Monfort beef had a fleet of hi-powered high geared trucks. Back in the day, rumor had it at the start of the nation wide double nickel Monfort called the HP in the states he ran thru, "If you see my trucks rolling, send me the bill, do not stop the truck!" At the same time, another co, based in Liberal KS. promised 2nd day delivery anywhere in the 48 from Liberal. One night 2 Indiana HP boxed a Monfort. The scanner was still chattering "We got one! We got one!" like there was a bounty on them when a couple of National Carriers and I went by running about 30 over.
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 10:38 AM   #28

No matter how you put it if the driver was going the speed limit, and he wrote them a ticket for "go too slow" in the fast lane, then the Officer is advocating that exceeding the speed is ok. Just because he said he wasn't, his actions showed otherwise. Speed kills more than any other reason in traffic accidents, and is usually accompanied with inattention(cell phones, texting ect).That could eventually come back to haunt him and the agency he works for. Many people use the freeway as a race track and are frequently 10-20 MPH over the speed limit, and then complain when someone is doing the speed limit and actually following the rules of the road, not just the ones we tend to make up on our own.

If the driver was going slower than the speed limit and just blocking the lane, that is another story. As far as a hero, only to those who don't know all the facts and just assume he was going way too slow. And like said you would be calling the Officer something else if you were the one who got the ticket. The judge will most likely dismiss the ticket if he was cited for going the speed limit and people speeding were backing up behind him. Most laws on the books stipulate the driver must be impeding traffic by driving slower than the posted speed limit, or that you can only use the left lane for passing.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver