Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2022, 01:51 PM   #15

Darn. I was hoping this would be about tire inflation.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2022, 02:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
Darn. I was hoping this would be about tire inflation.
Nope just another try at an end run around the politics prohibition.
Old 03-12-2022, 02:10 PM   #17

Well, all kidding aside, just this morning I paid Goodyear 981.60 for 36# of air in 4 brand new Wranglers on my aging Escalade. The way I figure it, that's about 4 more # than it used to take.
Old 03-13-2022, 11:20 AM   #18

A little Housekeeping goes a long way
Old 03-13-2022, 11:32 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeby5 View Post
Just saw on the news that in reality, our current inflation is the highest in our nation's history.
Why? They said if we use the CPI measurements used back in the 70s...our inflation would be about 21%.
I feel really bad for those on fixed incomes and/or retirees.
Current high inflation rate is not the highest in US history. It is the highest since (enter date here). If your source says "highest in history" then it is an unreliable source.
Old 03-13-2022, 11:54 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
Current high inflation rate is not the highest in US history. It is the highest since (enter date here). If your source says "highest in history" then it is an unreliable source.
It was 29.78% in 1778. YIKES!
Old 03-13-2022, 12:56 PM   #21

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
It is really hard for the gov to calculate the inflation rate in a manner that is consistent with previous years inflation. The reason is that the inflation rate is based off of the CPI (consumer price index) and "improvements" to the CPI calculations have occurred over and over for more than 100 years (similar to how changes to the unemployment rate calculations have changed over the years).

In any case, and disregarding how the CPI calculation has changed over and over, what most of the market analysts that I listen to claim is not that the current inflation rate is the highest in history, but that the "rate of change" for the inflation rate (month over month) is the highest in history. In other words inflation is climbing to higher rates faster than ever, not that they have climbed to their all time high (yet).

I have also read (many times), that certain market and economic analyst claim that "if" CPI was calculated more closely to how it used to be calculated that the current inflation rate would be the highest ever. I have also read something similar to the unemployment rate in that "if" it was calculated the same way it was calculated years back, then the true current unemployment rate would be much higher. These are all claims by others, not be me, are they correct? I don't really know...

In any case, while I sympathize for those who are long dead that lived through the highest inflation rate periods of all times one or two hundred years ago, I am way less concerned about that time period than I am with the current time period. ~CA
Old 03-13-2022, 01:11 PM   #22
Community Moderator

--- Thread reminder ---

A few posts have been removed due to political comments; and the subsequent posts quoting those removed posts have also been deleted. Please stay within the Community Rule boundary and leave the politics out of discussions. Thank you for those who posted within the rules.

- Site team
Old 03-13-2022, 03:10 PM   #23
Community Moderator

What is the inflation data source? The annual inflation rate for the United States is 7.9% for the 12 months ended February 2022. I recall 1980 was the highest in the last 40 years per the first link and was even higher before that per the second link.

https://www.macrotrends.net/countrie...ation-rate-cpi

https://advisor.visualcapitalist.com...ast-100-years/
Old 03-13-2022, 06:44 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
I have also read (many times), that certain market and economic analyst claim that "if" CPI was calculated more closely to how it used to be calculated that the current inflation rate would be the highest ever. I have also read something similar to the unemployment rate in that "if" it was calculated the same way it was calculated years back, then the true current unemployment rate would be much higher. These are all claims by others, not be me, are they correct? I don't really know...

~CA
I guess whether it would be the "true" number assumes the old way of calculating it was somehow better or more accurate.
Old 03-13-2022, 07:06 PM   #25

My grandkids are now asking for more money from us because of inflation.
Old 03-13-2022, 07:14 PM   #26

My benchmark is when we assumed a mortgage on a purchased house and the bank "only" charged us 11% interest vs the then going rate of 14%. This was in 1981 and is fact... not hearsay.
Old 03-13-2022, 07:16 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
My grandkids are now asking for more money from us because of inflation.
Could be a learning opportunity. Maybe review with them the government inflation rate applied to SSA payments for those on fixed incomes and up theirs the same %?¿
Old 03-13-2022, 07:45 PM   #28

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldubs View Post
I guess whether it would be the "true" number assumes the old way of calculating it was somehow better or more accurate.
Interesting thoughts for sure. I don't think that the old way was any better or worse, or even more or less accurate, likely just what was considered the best way to determine the CPI at that time. According to the BLS (bureau of labor statistics) they don't even use the word "changes" on their webpage and instead they use the word "improvements" and there have certainly been many.

In the link below you will find a bullet point style list of all of the improvements and each one I suspect could take a lot of research to know exactly what went into it. So I take their word on it that these are all what they believe to be improvements.

https://www.bls.gov/cpi/additional-r...al-changes.htm

However, the problem I have is that if someone shows me 100 years of date perhaps a graph that represents anything at all and they tell me that the data graphed here clearly indicates that the trend has been going up and up for 100 years and at an ever increasing rate and then they tell me that each point on the graph was determined and calculated differently, then I wouldn't put a lot of faith in that graph.

So I don't put a lot of weight into the CPI or inflation rate numbers and instead I look at how the current inflation affects me along with my friends and family, and the current inflation rate is pretty high for sure. Perhaps it is because I like to purchases steaks and other beef products more than other meats, and I like to burn my share of gasoline and diesel, and I like to keep my heat on in the winter.... I know that for my usual purchases that I am paying a lot more now than compared to a year ago and a lot more than 7.04% which is the current inflation rate. I don't complain as I also know it is a lot worse for many others than it is for me. ~CA
Closed Thread