Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2021, 10:08 AM   #1

Influencer - A new Thing?

Since when did we invent the "profession" of Influencer? Is this a way to justify being unemployed? !!

Kind of like "community activist". Definition - unemployed trouble maker!!
X-OEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2021, 10:16 AM   #2

So far I haven’t seen anyone I would like to have my kids influenced by…
GABob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 11:35 AM   #3

I asked my 16-year-old granddaughter about influencers. She admitted to following a few of them, but realized soon that most of them were know-nothings who thought they knew everything. Before I could muster up the same thought, she told me that the problem with know-nothings is that they know so little, they think everyone else knows even less.
Old 08-06-2021, 01:10 PM   #4

They go by a number of titles but yes, it's a real job if done correctly (but most aren't). Keep Your Daydream and Changing Lanes are two examples, even though I think they also have other jobs as well. To do it right is a huge time commitment and a thorough understanding of marketing, demographics, and modern tech.

Then there are the posers who want me to comp them in my restaurant in exchange for "exposure." lolnope. I'm good.
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 01:14 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
My father had a paddle ball paddle that long before had lost both the string and the ball, but he still managed to influence my siblings and I with it. Guess that’s the OG Influencer.
Old 08-06-2021, 08:08 PM   #6

Kardashians made Millions being 'Influencers'

WC Fields made big bucks too

Marlboro Man

Santa Claus

Jimmy Swaggart

MAN........
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 08:24 PM   #7

Ron Popeil - But wait, there’s more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Kardashians made Millions being 'Influencers'

WC Fields made big bucks too

Marlboro Man

Santa Claus

Jimmy Swaggart

MAN........
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 08:27 PM   #8

I know of two kids among my kids' friends who do this. They both make very impressive money at it.

But both of these are natural-born salespeople, who would likely be making very impressive money no matter what they were selling.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 08:38 PM   #9

Like any other profession there are good influencers and bad influencers. Many of the so-called influencers are very, very good, some not so much. From what I have been able to determine it takes about 100,000 youtube subs to make a decent living at it. Some of the better influencers I have found are Changing Lanes (he got laid off from his full time job a few months ago), Will Prowse (solar power), Kelly Galloup (fly fishing) and a number of others. You need to watch the folks you think are interesting and see if you like what they say. I watch some for information, some for entertainment and some for both. Like many other things in life you need to make up your own mind.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 10:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
Like any other profession there are good influencers and bad influencers. Many of the so-called influencers are very, very good, some not so much. From what I have been able to determine it takes about 100,000 youtube subs to make a decent living at it. Some of the better influencers I have found are Changing Lanes (he got laid off from his full time job a few months ago), Will Prowse (solar power), Kelly Galloup (fly fishing) and a number of others. You need to watch the folks you think are interesting and see if you like what they say. I watch some for information, some for entertainment and some for both. Like many other things in life you need to make up your own mind.
It's eye-opening what happens to your social media accounts when you hit certain thresholds. Different features are available to you, the analytics are sensational, and advertising will be embedded in your content. I have (and use) a Facebook commercial account and it's very different from the usual interface and has enhanced analytics. The same with my Youtube. I teach and have parked a few hundred instructional videos on YT that range in length from 2 minutes to a few hours. YT is part of the Google family and properly managed a YT channel can be a money-maker (mine isn't...yet). Tie all of your social media together into one centralized website "hub" and always include a "call to action" for every potential interaction. "Visit our website" "Click here to find out more" "Follow the arrows for more recipes"

It's all about the clicks.
Old 08-07-2021, 10:10 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Your YT account IS a huge money-maker, just not for you.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 10:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Your YT account IS a huge money-maker, just not for you.

Maybe some, but not mine. Everything is unlisted and accessible only with a link and I have no click-throughs.