Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2022, 04:15 AM   #1

Ins and outs for starting a business

My nephew is about to inherit some of our old mans land assets in the will. The requirements he set for the lad were that he has to either have started a family and so he could build a family home+/farm or come up with a meaningful business proposition. I want to help him as much as i can as his father isn't around anymore and no one else got given requirements for any other assets, I think its just tough love and motivation for him to plan his future. I don't know much about business but I've already told him to start talking to an accountant and look into taking classes for whatever he would need to learn. Is there anything he can do ahead of his meeting to get his business plans into motion, I know a lot of the paperwork and back and fourths can take a long time! What can I look into whilst he's got all this on his mind and plate?

He' thinking of converting an old barn on the driveway into a small shop for RV parts and a little sort of community shop, whilst turning the main land into a camping grounds.
RVOxonDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2022, 04:43 AM   #2

While I know nothing of starting up a business, when considering building a CG with FHU the first requirement is location, location,location. The last I read each FHU site might cost $50,000 to construct from bare land.
We have retired owners of RV parks as members of irv2.com, they will have experience and knowledge to share.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 05:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVOxonDav View Post
My nephew is about to inherit some of our old mans land assets in the will. The requirements he set for the lad were that he has to either have started a family and so he could build a family home+/farm or come up with a meaningful business proposition. I want to help him as much as i can as his father isn't around anymore and no one else got given requirements for any other assets, I think its just tough love and motivation for him to plan his future. I don't know much about business but I've already told him to start talking to an accountant and look into taking classes for whatever he would need to learn. Is there anything he can do ahead of his meeting to get his business plans into motion, I know a lot of the paperwork and back and fourths can take a long time! What can I look into whilst he's got all this on his mind and plate?

He' thinking of converting an old barn on the driveway into a small shop for RV parts and a little sort of community shop, whilst turning the main land into a camping grounds.

Gifted or inherited land will be his and only his to do with as he wishes. Once he builds on it and house/ business has wife’s name on it then it’s no longer his it’s theirs. So be careful it can all be gone in a second.
Old 06-26-2022, 04:31 PM   #4

To start a business, he needs a sound business plan. It should include funding, expenses, expected revenue (goals!), and so on. Do NOT try to wing it. A high percentage of startups fail. My brother started a successful company, but he has a business degree and left a major company as a VP (having started as a branch manager) to start it so he had a lot of experience.

Some money up front to engage the *right* consultant can save his bacon...or convince him that it's not for him. Both are OK. Not everyone is cut out to open a business and make it work.

Oh, and be prepared to (a) work 80+ hour weeks and (b) understand that the business will own you as much as you own it.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 11:42 PM   #5

The Small Business Administration has a ton of good info available including worksheets and a forum/mentoring program. He needs to do his homework otherwise failure is highly likely. If it was easy anybody could do it.
Old 06-27-2022, 06:55 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2zon View Post
To start a business, he needs a sound business plan. It should include funding, expenses, expected revenue (goals!), and so on. Do NOT try to wing it. A high percentage of startups fail. My brother started a successful company, but he has a business degree and left a major company as a VP (having started as a branch manager) to start it so he had a lot of experience.

Some money up front to engage the *right* consultant can save his bacon...or convince him that it's not for him. Both are OK. Not everyone is cut out to open a business and make it work.

Oh, and be prepared to (a) work 80+ hour weeks and (b) understand that the business will own you as much as you own it.

This is good information. I have an MBA and if you do it by the book it takes a lot of effort to develop a good business plan which you will need to go to any bank to get a loan.

I had a couple of friends that were trying to do a small manufacturing startup and I helped them write their plan. Understanding the total costs is one side of it but you also have have an understanding of the business segment. One tool that they teach in business school is a SWOT analysis, STRENGTH, WEAKNESS, OPPORTUNITY, THREATS! https://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newTMC_05.htm
I had one class that dealt with this for a semester. Once you understand the concept and approach a business realistically it's a good tool.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 07:46 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here is a simple business plan, and one that I have personally executed several times. The key difference is the startup costs are going to be $0.00

Plan Overview:

Acquire land for the purpose of future resale value. The land will be maintained in accordance with local laws and ordinances, with minimal fixed costs. The largest expense will be the annual property taxes.

Key Facts:
Capital required to purchase raw land: $0.00
Monthly maintenance required by local ordinances: $x.xx
Annual Property Tax: $x.xx
Expected unrealized rate of return: x% annually

Additional income: The land will be leased as a grain field for an amount to offset the local taxes, fees, and insurance requirements.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 07:51 AM   #8

I started by being laid off from a global company. Best thing that ever happened to me. Lol. The tiny two hours a week business grew for 12 years until it was turning over a million per year. If you have a dream go for it.

Decide what you want to do. In this case check to makes sure you can get all the permits you need. Funding, etc. don’t need to develope the entire place before you open. Start small and build on a little each year.
Good luck
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 11:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
Here is a simple business plan, and one that I have personally executed several times. The key difference is the startup costs are going to be $0.00

Plan Overview:

Acquire land for the purpose of future resale value. The land will be maintained in accordance with local laws and ordinances, with minimal fixed costs. The largest expense will be the annual property taxes.

Key Facts:
Capital required to purchase raw land: $0.00
Monthly maintenance required by local ordinances: $x.xx
Annual Property Tax: $x.xx
Expected unrealized rate of return: x% annually

Additional income: The land will be leased as a grain field for an amount to offset the local taxes, fees, and insurance requirements.
You left out one of the most important calculations, the opportunity costs. Selling that property and either investing the proceeds, paying off debts or starting a business the guy is actually qualified and interested in would likely be much more profitable and beneficial than holding raw land and hoping for appreciation. We have no idea how valuable the land is as farming ground. It could be very valuable irrigated bottom land or it could be grazing land only capable of supporting one pair (cow and calf) per each 50 acres. The best ground may rent for 100s of dollars an acre, grazing lands may be as low as pennies an acre. And should the need for cash arise, selling farmland doesn’t often happen overnight.
Raw land is generally a rich man’s game. Carrying costs and opportunity costs are high and the average person doesn’t want to wait decades to reap their investment gains from a very illiquid investment.
And if the will truly only allows two options, start a business on the land or live on the land and farm, the dead guy was a jerk for trying to control the heir’s future. I would be checking my legal options to break those covenants and if I couldn’t I would curse the dead and walk away. It’s my life not dear departed relative’s.
Bigceasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 12:46 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think your missing the point...the land is his only if he has a business plan.

Keep it simple and play the silly game with the probate process. After the land transfers, do with it as you wish.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 04:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
I think your missing the point...the land is his only if he has a business plan.

Keep it simple and play the silly game with the probate process. After the land transfers, do with it as you wish.
I agree. But there appears to be some kind of continuing restriction that forces him to either have a business or farm. Maybe he isn’t actually the heir to the land but an heir to a continuing trust of some kind. If once probate closes he isn’t free to do whatever he wants with the land I would just pass. No reason to be forced into something you can’t easily get out of or don’t want to do.
Old 06-27-2022, 05:32 PM   #12

How much land? Start a campground if he can get the infrastructure funded somehow. Doesn’t need to be huge. If you are near a well traveled, major highway a quick over nite campground would be best. No frills, no long term rentals, just meant for passing thru. I would want full hook ups and decent wifi for a one nite stand. You need to provide some benefit over cabelas parking lot.
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 05:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpozzuoli View Post
How much land? Start a campground if he can get the infrastructure funded somehow. Doesn’t need to be huge. If you are near a well traveled, major highway a quick over nite campground would be best. No frills, no long term rentals, just meant for passing thru. I would want full hook ups and decent wifi for a one nite stand. You need to provide some benefit over cabelas parking lot.
And if he doesn’t like the business, can’t get funding or it fails, do the terms of the will allow him to sell the property and use the proceeds to make himself whole? We have no idea if the property is suited for an RV park. It could be at the end of a 10 mile dirt road. “Build it and they will come” only happens if Kevin Costner builds it and James Earl Jones does the advertising.
There are some wills that have clauses that make the inheritance more curse than blessing. A famous example is the philosopher Jeremy Bentham. He left his estate to a university with the stipulation his corpse be wheeled into meetings of the trustees and he is listed as “present, not voting” in the official meeting minutes.
If the will stipulates only farming or a business run by the heirs can exist on the property and the heirs cannot ever relinquish ownership to others than it fits the curse model perfectly.
Old 07-03-2022, 04:59 PM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Just remember that most small businesses fail in the first 12 months, for one reason or another.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote