Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2020, 08:23 AM   #1

Insane RV park rules

I just saw this on youtube, someone kicked out of a campground for receiving a Fedex package in Colorado a couple of days ago. Comments show other people had similar issues there.

Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2020, 09:48 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I saw this on Facebook a few days ago and it is horrible. It does sound legit. You should see some of the reviews on the park.

But we always ask about receiving mail at campgrounds. We have a few that will not accept USPS, but will accept FedEx and UPS. Always best to ask first.

But it sounds like this manage/owner runs the park like he is the Gestapo.

I think as soon as I had to stand there and have 4 pages of rules read to me and my wife , I'd be out of there.

It is my money and I'll go where I am appreciated.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:55 AM   #3

Yep! This used to be one of the Jellystone Parks. Owned by a guy in Denver who really does not care. Tom and Kay Vail are the husband and wife team that run the place like a prison camp. It sounds like if you are a long termer it is not so bad. Just passing through for a few days is another story. Tom is armed at all times, and tells some pretty tall tales about his former Marine exploits. Some claim to have done some background checking that proves he is not truthful about this, or his Special Forces designation.

I have followed their reviews in the past, and keep waiting to hear of them picking on the wrong folks at some point. I heard the park is for sale.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:00 AM   #4

When we FTd we would ALWAYS verify with next place YES/NO Visitor Mail was accepted at CG.

Yes.......set up mail delivery
NO.......wait til next spot OR check with Local Post Office about 'General Delivery' (not all Post Offices accepted GD)

AS for RULES...........
Friend built a 50 site RV Park back in 2008

Had 1/2 page of Rules (General common Sense Rules)
2 years later that List of Rules took 2 psges----asked what happened and hos responses was
'PEOPLE ARE STUPID!!!!'

CG Rules.......too many/unreasonable---we moved on ----Simple
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:15 AM   #5

Took me a while to find it on RVParky, probably because it's Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park of the Black Canyon. 8.8 miles south of Montrose, CO, on US 55.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwood58 View Post
I heard the park is for sale.
Their web site says "Under New Management", but the youtube vid was just posted a few days ago. I wonder how long that new management has been in place?
Old 08-03-2020, 11:06 AM   #6

their park, their rules but unless there is more to the story that we have not heard or seen the CG staff's/owner's response to the rule violation was, IMO, insane. the police had no choice in the matter but we do. based in the video i have noted the name and location of the park and we will never stay there.
Old 08-03-2020, 11:17 AM   #7

If you read any of the online rv park reviews on the place you see similar stories over and over. Here is the campground reviews page https://www.campgroundreviews.com/re...ystone-p-14316 reading some of the 1 and 2 star reviews, it makes me wonder how such a place could have a 3 star average.
Old 08-03-2020, 11:27 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
I've been in a few places like this and have found that in almost all cases it is the result of a LAZY yet tyrannical individual that is just too lazy to work at what it takes to run a good park/Resort.

The easiest thing in the world to do is say "My way or the highway".....people seem to forget sometimes who sis PAYING to be there and who is BEING PAID by others to be there.

This behavior seldom stands the test of time but then again with the boom in the industry and newbies who don't know any better this seasonal resport will likely continue under the apparently Lazy individual (no personal experience here) until such time as it doesn't
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 11:44 AM   #9

Foretravel Owners Club
I have ran across a few similar situations.
We just pack up and leave, unless we know in advance what the park peculiarities are, then just keep on driving.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 12:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
If you read any of the online rv park reviews on the place you see similar stories over and over. Here is the campground reviews page https://www.campgroundreviews.com/re...ystone-p-14316 reading some of the 1 and 2 star reviews, it makes me wonder how such a place could have a 3 star average.
i wondered the same thing. i added up all of the "stars" ...1, 1.5, etc. and divided by the number of reviews (15j and got an average oc 2.9 stars which would be just under 3 or average. i don't see how they arrived at. 5.7 average.
Old 08-03-2020, 12:44 PM   #11

Where I'm at, they'll accept mail and packages, but won't notify when you get something.....I get a tracking number and hope that if it's been shipped thru Opps (UPS), it'll arrive in my lifetime...where I winter at the owners delivery to your own on site mailbox
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 01:11 PM   #12

Went to the link for rv park reviews and it says "closed due to Covid 19 reported 2 days ago by Dan M"

Latest review was almost a year ago.

Go to their website and it has no mention of being closed and says under new management.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:03 PM   #13

One of the reviews from last year before Covid, mentioned showing up and finding the gates locked and no one in the office to let them in. So perhaps the report of Covid closure from 2 days ago was mistaken and they just did not want any new guests at that moment.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:37 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
This is not only awful, but scary. Sad to think that an RV park could send you packing over a minor thing like this, but let "seasonal" folk get away with murder. I also love that they are a "10 yr" rule park (at their discretion). They will never get my business! I'm sure now that this is out on these forums, their business will deplete quickly.

Tags
rv park