Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2018, 04:22 PM   #1

Is any 2-cycle engine oil good for lawn equipment

Does it really make any difference which brand of 2-cycle engine oil is used for weed wackers and lawn edgers?
I've always used the little 3.2 oz bottles of oil sold under the equipment brand but just dawned on me (slowed down in old age) that 3-4 of those bottles make 3-4 gallons of mixture while a gallon of Wal Marts Super Tech 2-cycle engine oil sells for about that amount and makes 40 gallons of mixture at 40:1.

Are the name brand oils that much better? Not that the amount of money saved since it is just for my small residential yard is going to make or break me but every little bit helps. Folks used to tell me that "a penny saved is a penny earned".

Too much time on my hands sitting around recouperating from surgery.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2018, 04:26 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
A gallon would sit for years on the shelf as little as I use. I just make sure it's API certified and meets the requirements for my 2-cycle engines.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 04:32 PM   #3

I always use STIHL oil , never had a issue . I can tell you from years ago I had a pioneer chainsaw , and if I used reg mix oil the gas would boil , motor would get that hot , I started using a better oil that a jonsered chainsaw dealer was selling , and that ended the heat problems
I’m sure there’s nothing wrong with Walmart oil, and it meets all the specs. But I’m sticking to STIHL oil, but that’s just me
gbstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 04:37 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Different engines are spec’d for different ratios of oil and fuel. They also specify different grades of fuel.

My echo lawn gear is 50:1 and uses high octane fuel...my McCollough uses a 32:1 and regular octane is okay...

Google the manual...

As far as brands...I just use what a I can find at Home Depot..l
Old 08-29-2018, 04:47 PM   #5

That's always been my idea about engine oil but was just wondering if I was over thinking the situation.

Years ago we always used Mercury Quick Silver oil in our Mercury outboard engines, and we ran them at high RPM with a power prop, and never had any problems.

Dad was an auto mechanic all his life and he always said the best oil is the cheapest thing you can buy for your engine, which I've always done for my 4-cycle vehicles and RVs. Guess I'd better adhere to his advice here also, and all the advice on the Forum.
Old 09-03-2018, 03:32 PM   #6

You should stick with oil marked TC-W3 and it will be good for any 2 stroke engine.
Try to stay with non-ethinol gas for any small engine if you can find it in your area. If not, then use Sta-bil treatment for any fuel that will be stored longer than a month and run SeaFoam in the gas before you put the engine away for the winter.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 10:31 AM   #7

I have a stihl back pack blower and always runs like a champ on stihl oil and premium gas.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:21 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
You should be OK. Just follow the oil/fuel ratio mixing instructions for whatever you are using it in. I use regular gas. At the start of the year, I dump whats left over from last year into my lawnmower, then mix up a fresh batch for the chain saws and weed wackers

I have several chain saws and weed whackers that have different requirements. One has 40:1 one has 30:1.. I mix it 30:1, my lowest ration, and use that in everything..
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 12:00 PM   #9

Air cooled and water cooled engines operate at different temperatures and typically require the correct oil for the type.

Beyond that, my water cooled Jet Ski requires a full synthetic 2 stroke oil.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 12:04 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
While a proper gas/oil ratio is key to operating a 2-cycle engine, storage between uses can also be crucial. My brother went to work training dealers and rental venues on caring for and maintaining AquaScotters. He gave me a couple and I've had them for over 20 years. After each use, I drain the gas/oil from the tank and then run the engine until it stalls, making sure none is left in the fuel lines or carburetor. If I'm going to store them over the winter or longer, I remove the plug and fog the cylinder. I never have an issue with getting them running again when we get to a beach and want to use them again. I treat my small engine 2-cyle lawn tools the same way. If you put one away with fuel in it, you'll pull your arm out of its socket trying to get it going again.

AquaScooters are a single cylinder 2-cycle engine that runs completely submerged in water. A snorkel sticks up above the water to draw in air.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 03:42 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a Weed Wacker, McCulloch Weed Trimmer, 2 chainsaws, and a Stihl leaf blower. I also have 3, 2 cycle outboard motors. They all run Chevron 2 cycle oil. I bought a case of 24 bottles many, many years ago, have 2 bottles left.
The motors are well cared for with the right oil fuel mix, Drained after running Sta Bil through the at the end of season and kept indoors.

Save the money for Diesel. lol
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 11:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Dad was an auto mechanic all his life and he always said the best oil is the cheapest thing you can buy for your engine, which I've always done for my 4-cycle vehicles and RVs. Guess I'd better adhere to his advice here also, and all the advice on the Forum.

I've been turning wrenches all my life and agree 100% with "Dad" on this.
I got my first snowmobile in November '68. Fuel/oil ratio was 20:1. Smoked like a battleship. Back then there was no 2 stroke oil, it was just 30w motor oil. In the early '70's the 2 stroke blue dyed oil came out. I started mixing my fuel/oil in a 50:1 ratio. Ran almost smoke free. Drove that snowmobile for 24 years before engine failure. The only thing I did was replace the spark plug and maybe the carb diaphragms every year. When I purchased my new sled in '97 I started using synthetic injection oil. Never had any engine problems. Quality lube and routine maintenance is the key to long life and reliability.
BUGNUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:48 AM   #13

The problem that we all have now is not the mix 2 cycle oils but the gas with ethanol in it. The gas simply does not last very long because of the ethanol blending. If left in your chainsaw, blower, or weedeater very long it will gum up your carburetor to the point of rebuilding or replacement. I bought a new Husqvarna chainsaw months ago and the guy told me to use 50:1 blended can gas in it and I would not have to worry about the saw cranking/running after being unused for months. Of course I payed no attention and used my mixed blower fuel. Next time I needed the saw it would not crank. I ordered from ebay and replaced the carb and now use can fuel with no problems of not being unused for months.
JUS1MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:58 PM   #14

Amsoil, no I don't sell it just use it 100 to 1 in premium or better gas.
Jay D.
Jay D. is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine