Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2011, 09:50 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Is anyone still traveling to Mexico?

With all the drug related viloence and drug cartels in Mexico, I anyone still traveling there and if so do you feel safe?
I live just minutes away from San Pedro/Long Beach Harbor and frequently view the majestic cruise ships lined up there.
A news article this morning said there Mexico cruises have fallen off dramaticaly.
I wouldnt go there, but thats just me.
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2011, 10:14 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't see another trip anywhere there in my foreseeable life time.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:18 AM   #3

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

I'm at the KOA in Chula vista which is the start point for Baja and Back RV tours. A group left Tuesday on a 28 day tour to Cabo San Lucas. I spoke with the leader. tail gunner and some participants...no one seemed overly concerned about the border violence. Another tour 35 days is scheduled for Feb.
I'm not interested but to answer your question...YES
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:21 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' View Post
I spoke with the leader. tail gunner and some participants...no one seemed overly concerned about the border violence.
As well armed as some of these groups appear to be I'd still have concerns, there have been better convoys than this one sounds like and even with air power things did not always go as planned.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:32 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
We winter in the Corpus Christi area, and many who used to travel the 100+ miles south are now finding other things to do. We did have some friends who recently visited Progresso, got along fine but kept the border constantly in sight.

We have no plans to make the trip....maybe we are just cowardly greenhorns
Dick & Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:51 PM   #6
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thumbs down Mexico

Last time I was in Mexico was 69 or 70. No way I would cross that border

TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:03 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I really wanted to explore it but there's no way.

Even Fred Reed is rather down on it now.
Fred On Everything

Maybe some day the US will sort out the stupid drug laws so this and about 20 other problems in the world can sort themselves with that prohibition money distorting the issues so much.

InPursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:56 PM   #8

I won't be going South of the Border anytime soon. I know many folks who have the same feelings. Just not worth taking the chance. The USA is risky enough.

Greg & Lynn (Full-Timing)
2011 Phaeton 42 QBH / Spartan Chassis
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:47 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
From what we are told in Houston, I won't go. A coworker is a Mexican national and he said he does not fell safe going back home to see family. To much corruption and the drug cartels think they are in control.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:12 PM   #10

Carnival Cruises is pulling their tours from San Diego area and moving it all over to Texas ports. Said they have suffered losses due to the actions in Mexico and the market is down. That is a clue that maybe things aren't to wonderful to view in Mexico . I sure don't want a bullet whizzing by from the cartel or the police chasing the cartel. To hot for me.
Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:42 AM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Quite ironic, but yesterday on the gym treadmill, the tv on the wall had a journelist who was talking about just this. He was quite brave as journelist are not very well liked by the cartel and several have been killed.
He said it was basically two cartels at war with each other over possession of the best routes into the US. They murder wantonly as they have no fear of reprisal as murders are not followed up on. It is completly out of control.
He had some pretty graphic pictures and they know who these peop[le are. Whats wrong with their govmt.
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:39 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mexico has the drug cartel. USA had the mafia. It takes years to get it under control. At least Mexico now has a President that is doing something about it. But the drug cartel is trying to send a message that they are bigger than the Mexican goverment. My wife is mexican and has relatives in Mexico. We do not cross the border any more. Her relatives come to see us. You can be in the wrong place at the right time and the drug cartel will take you out. They don't care who is in the line of fire, police,politicans,etc. I always enjoyed going to Mexico, but no more, untill things are much better.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:56 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Recent article in Time magazine reports that in the past 4 years there are 30,000 deaths in Mexico attributed to the drug cartels. Three cartels are fighting over who owns Acapulco. So it is not even safe to go to the "tourist" areas now.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:37 AM   #14

We spent 3 weeks driving in Mexico last year and plan to do about the same this year. If you are part of the drug cartel or a Mexican citizen living in a town that the cartel wants there is a huge problem. However, if you talk to Americans in their RV's in Mexico it's as safe or safer than being in the US. I just hope that our politicians have the courage to change our drug laws, but I don't see that or anything else happening very soon. It's about time we stop sending billions of dollars to the drug cartels!
vegascouple is offline   Reply With Quote