Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2021, 09:32 AM   #1

Is It Just Me?

We all know what a problem our roads have with people texting, using their phone or some other form of distraction while driving a vehicle yet I see plenty of ads on tv gloating about their new hands free driving capabilities. Is this because our nation has just given up trying to enforce the laws and decided to let the vehicles be the smarter person behind the wheel? I see this new technology as a waste of time and money and it will come back to bite someone in the backside. What are some of your thoughts on this new technology?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2021, 09:54 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
I think it’s all for the better. As you stated, most crashes are caused by driver inattention, so anything that helps that, I’m all for.
Old 11-14-2021, 10:01 AM   #3

Sadly, there would probably be fewer accidents with driverless vehicles in charge. Clearly we are seeing a glimpse of the future.

When I first read this and the comment about cell phone distractions, I thought the OP was referring to hands free mobile phone use. That is not illegal, at least not in my state.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 07:45 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
We all know what a problem our roads have with people texting, using their phone or some other form of distraction while driving a vehicle yet I see plenty of ads on tv gloating about their new hands free driving capabilities. Is this because our nation has just given up trying to enforce the laws and decided to let the vehicles be the smarter person behind the wheel? I see this new technology as a waste of time and money and it will come back to bite someone in the backside. What are some of your thoughts on this new technology?
Just remember there was a news article about the couple who were sleeping while the "hands free vehicle" was driving. Do we want to see this while on the road?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...pilot-n1267805

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tesla-d...la-on-highway/
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 07:57 AM   #5

You can usually tell people who are texting on their phone. They're are the ones camped out in the fast lane driving 65 mph.

Interesting about Tesla's being the cause of several accidents while using their Autopilot. Seems like a serious problem.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 07:58 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamm2018 View Post
Just remember there was a news article about the couple who were sleeping while the "hands free vehicle" was driving. Do we want to see this while on the road?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...pilot-n1267805

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tesla-d...la-on-highway/

I'd rather they be sleeping in a self-driving vehicle than sleeping in one that isn't. I don't think we get much choice in the matter. This is the way the technology is going and we're going to see a lot more self driving vehicles out there in the near future. I expect that before too long the driver won't be needed at all.
Old 11-16-2021, 08:06 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't mess with my phone when I'm driving. Let the wife do it. that is what a co pilot is for read the maps before I leave so I know where to go, then let wife navigate. What is done in most ships.
Old 11-16-2021, 08:33 AM   #8

The sooner the better. But I think we are years away. Right now no one has a level 4 or level 5 system. The accidents arrive when people think their level 2 system in a Tesla is a level 4 system. Other than that they already save lives.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 08:50 AM   #9

Hands free driving feature is a technological step toward driverless vehicles. For one It's a way to get people (and society) used to letting a computer drive the car down the road at speed. From what I understand, it took a while for pilots to trust autopilots.

I've ridden motorcycles for over 50 years and always felt with smart and defensive driving I'd never get killed on a bike. Not so sure anymore. In the past 5 years I've had more close calls than in the previous 45 years due to people looking down at their phones while driving. Most common is someone coming around the corner looking down at their phone and drifting into my lane. Phones are the crack of tech, and there are 100s of millions of addicts.

One interesting question that some people have asked about fully driverless cars isn't whether they will be safer, its who will be liable in the rare instances there is an accident, especially if there is a fatality. Will a person in the vehicle still be considered a driver, or merely a passenger?
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 09:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrnmrtom View Post
Hands free driving feature is a technological step toward driverless vehicles. For one It's a way to get people (and society) used to letting a computer drive the car down the road at speed. From what I understand, it took a while for pilots to trust autopilots.

I've ridden motorcycles for over 50 years and always felt with smart and defensive driving I'd never get killed on a bike. Not so sure anymore. In the past 5 years I've had more close calls than in the previous 45 years due to people looking down at their phones while driving. Most common is someone coming around the corner looking down at their phone and drifting into my lane. Phones are the crack of tech, and there are 100s of millions of addicts.

One interesting question that some people have asked about fully driverless cars isn't whether they will be safer, its who will be liable in the rare instances there is an accident, especially if there is a fatality. Will a person in the vehicle still be considered a driver, or merely a passenger?
In my opinion that will be determined partially by wether it is an L4 or L5 vehicle. An L4 vehicle has a steering wheel, an L5 doesnít. Of course you can have an L4 with a person behind the wheel as well. So then it gets ambiguous again.

Audi briefly had a level 3 system out in 2020 but decommissioned it after 3 months. Just my personal opinion but I donít think weíll even see level 3 systems in the wild until after 2025.

Our level 2 works well enough for us. Increases safety and makes for a more relaxing drive. But looking forward to a level 4. Hoping itís ready by the time they take my license away.
Old 11-17-2021, 10:12 AM   #11

A computer only knows what has been programmed into it.
It does not have the ability to reason based on feelings.

I will give you one example that would have been catastrophic if a computer had been in charge.

The 2009 ditching of US Airways Flight 1549 with Capt. Sully.

Everything in a computer is based on what was fed into it at the time of programming and it uses all those perimeters to "decide" the course of actions, it does NOT, take into account actual conditions of every bit of information.

Yes, they do a extremely good job, impressively so.

How about no cops in the future, I mean we are talking about safety here, right?

How about drones flying overhead with the ability to see through walls, etc, looking for crime and taking actions "on the spot" judged and jury, and rending its verdict based on what it was programed?

Funny, in a weird way...I grew up watching the cartoon Jetsons.....SMH.
Island Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 10:27 AM   #12

Interesting observation we have made. We have a few “high impact” intersections in our area. They are marked with a flashing amber light which essentially means slow down and exercise caution. The speed limit is 90 kmh. Most people just blow through them at full tilt and don’t slow down a bit. 3 or 4 times a year there are nasty accidents and then back to normal. However, you can always tell when their is a Tesla on autopilot somewhere in the line ahead as it typically slows down about 8 kmh, gets thru the danger area and then returns to normal speed. If we are at the front of the line that’s exactly what our car does. And look out because there will be people on your a$$ sometimes even honking because, you know, you slowed down and exercised caution in an area marked and signalled for that. It sometimes does similar stuff around crosswalks at lower speeds in the city as well.

Just sayin, it won’t take a lot for AI systems to be smarter than the average driver. And these are just L2 hands on the wheels systems.

Jmho.
Old 11-17-2021, 02:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Eddie View Post
A computer only knows what has been programmed into it.
It does not have the ability to reason based on feelings.

Funny, in a weird way...I grew up watching the cartoon Jetsons.....SMH.

Or another way to say it is the software does not let emotions get in the way of doing the correct thing. I find the whole idea of driverless cars kind of scary. But it is hard to argue that the computer is likely to make less driving mistakes than a human.

I loved the Jetsons!
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 02:46 PM   #14

Fellow motorcycle rider

We are noticing the same thing, Iíll bet we didnít put 1500 miles on ours this year. What used to be a great way to relax and interact with not just the road, but the whole atmosphere around you has become too hazardous to enjoy. Last summer we had 3 close calls in one 4 hour ride.
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrnmrtom View Post

Tooltime2 is offline   Reply With Quote