Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2019, 07:38 AM   #1

Is Tuning Worth It

Great video on the outcome of tuning a Class A gas powered coach.

https://youtu.be/z9N5M2WhIiI
DKB218NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2019, 07:58 AM   #2

Good video but who drives an RV like that
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:27 AM   #3

According to my fuzzy math. The chip alone ($560 w/shipping)would have a break even point at about 4500 gallons of gasoline @ $2.50 gallon or about 19,000 miles for the Allegro.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:29 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I bought the 5-star Tune for my 2017 24,000 lb F53 the first month I owned the RV. After 10,000 miles I was curious about what benefits I was getting. So I reflashed the stock tune and drove 1,000 miles on an RV trip.

Everything seemed about the same as the 10,000 mi I had experienced with the tune. If anything gas mileage increased very slightly. Of course, it’s hard to tell because wind and hills effect the numbers so much.

After 1,000 miles stock, I reinstalled the 5-Star Tune. And drove the 1,000 miles back home.

I wouldn’t say the tune does nothing to improve the driving experience, but I would say it doesn’t make any huge difference that I couldn’t live without. If, before buying, I knew what difference it would make I, personally, would not have spent the $500 the tune cost.

That’s just me and my opinion. If I had an older F53 with the 5-speed transmission then I definitely would recommend the tune because of how it remaps the shift points on the 5-speed.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:09 PM   #5

Just installed the 5 Star Tune on my Bay Star before returning from Florida. If you use the tow haul mode, you see the advantages of the 5 Star Tune. The tune really improves the shifting points and in particular, makes use of downshifting from 5th to 4th and then down to 3rd if necessary. In the short time we've owned our first gas motorhome, I've learned about the benefits of using the tow haul mode as it really helps to avoid using the brakes. Read you Ford manual to see what it has to say. On my 5 speed, tow haul mode will provide down shifting to maintain your speed when you take your foot off the accelerator. And, if you want slow down, tap the brake pedal again and it will downshift another gear.

And, I can't back this up with facts, but it seems to me the 5 Star Tune mod improves acceleration due to the changed shifting points. I feel like the motorhome is a little peppier when I accelerate.

Forum members can purchase the 5 Star Tune for $449. I picked mine up in the classified section for $314. I spent a lot of time reading so many posts and reviews and was hesitant to do it....no regrets now!!

But I'd agree that if you have the 6 speed transmission, there aren't a lot of reviews out there about improvements with a 5 Star Tune. I'd do some research and perhaps call 5 Star Tune to see what they have to say.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 02:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNC View Post
According to my fuzzy math. The chip alone ($560 w/shipping)would have a break even point at about 4500 gallons of gasoline @ $2.50 gallon or about 19,000 miles for the Allegro.
Wasn't the gas mileage calculated while climbing an 8 mile mountain with it floored.

Not sure that figure works in normal driving. Even with fuzzy logic.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:16 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
With the age of my MH, how I drive it, and the cost of the tune, I can't justify it for my rig.. I suspect if I had a 5 or 6 speed, I'd be more interested in it for the transmission shift point improvements.

FYI - Ive been doing benchmark acceleration test for the past 6 months. With 22,000 lbs, sea level, I consistently do 0-60 in 32 seconds.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 02:35 PM   #8

PROPER aftermarket tuning will absolutely increase hp and torque above stock calibrations. To do that it will actually use a little MORE fuel under WOT conditions.

Under all other conditions, proper aftermarket tuning will result in better efficiency, more power and better gas mileage. Yes, you can improve gas mileage at steady cruise over the stock calibrations in the Ford V10. How much is something that has way too many variables to make any claims on.

That test in the video had (at least) one flaw... The 5 Star tune will actually increase WOT fuel use somewhat. BUT it will also improve steady state, flat cruising mpg. Doing a mileage test by going up and then down a huge mountain is imho, stupid. You could have lost mpg on the climb, but gained mpg on the way down. How much overall difference in mpg between stock and tuned in the real world? Who would know, since it would actually depend on how much you drive at WOT vs. steady cruise. They really should have done a steady 65mph cruise test, 20 miles in one direction, then turn around and drive the 20 miles back to hopefully rule out wind. Even then, determining fuel use by when the pump clicks off is pretty crude.

Bottom line answer to the question in this thread... Tuning IS absolutely worth it if you want more power or to improve trans shifting. Tuning MAY OR MAY NOT be worth it if you're trying to recoup the cost in gas saved. Power is easy to change, gas mileage of any particular vehicle is much harder to influence. Two factors have a much bigger effect on your cost of driving...the fluctuating price of gas throughout the year(s) and wind speed against the front of your rig.
gmtec16450yz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:52 PM   #9

Just remember, any power you gain from a tune, is gained at full throttle.

If your a soft foot driver who doesn't floor it, there will be no gain in power.
Old 04-04-2019, 05:03 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Call me a soft foot driver - flooring my 28,000 lb gas motor home my yield more HP and Torque but it's horrible for MPG and occupants nerves.

It's too bad these are not sold on a money back guarantee basis. You buy it you own it regardless of any improvements you see or not. I suppose it can be sold to someone else, but I've always thought they restrict that with some VIN number programming in the Tune you purchase.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Just remember, any power you gain from a tune, is gained at full throttle.

If your a soft foot driver who doesn't floor it, there will be no gain in power.
Who told you that? I'd say absolutely not true. Tuning can and does gain power and efficiency at all loads, rpm's and throttle settings. The best part about a good tune is you DON'T have to floor it constantly to get decent power. 75 ft/lbs of torque is easy to gain on a 3v V10. If you're getting the same torque at 3/4 throttle and 3000rpm than you did at WOT and 4000rpm stock, you don't need to floor it or rev it to get that same power.
gmtec16450yz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post

That’s just me and my opinion. If I had an older F53 with the 5-speed transmission then I definitely would recommend the tune because of how it remaps the shift points on the 5-speed.
I had the 5 speed, put in the tuner and still could not tell any improvement to anything. If shifting, gas mileage or performance improved at all it was so minuscule I could not notice it and would never have spent the money had I known the outcome. You guys may have better results but that is what I learned.
Old 04-05-2019, 10:18 PM   #13

During driving rig hours... be they RV's or dump trucks... up hill, down hill or on the level... and, loaded as you see fit:

Reason there are shift positions on the automatic transmission column shift lever is because you can self-shift into gear changes at your desire if you are not pleased with what the engine rpm compared to trany's automatic shift level develops at the moment.

Not too unlike driving a big, heavy rig with a foot-clutch standard-shift transmission... you listen to [or watch] the engine rpm and recognize engine load sound as you shift the auto tran into into gear needed to meet your desired up-tick or down-tic speeds.

Automatic transmissions can be used completely in their automatic mode by simply keeping the column position arrow in D or OD. Or! - The automatic transmission can be used in your desired shift levels by positioning the arrow in lower or higher positions.

It's up to you how your RV engine/trany react to grades, loads, or light weight straight hwy driving.

Of course, always being careful to not over tax the engine, trany, brakes, tires or steering gear... as well as all other portions of your RV.
RM Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 07:06 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Art View Post

Automatic transmissions can be used completely in their automatic mode by simply keeping the column position arrow in D or OD. Or! - The automatic transmission can be used in your desired shift levels by positioning the arrow in lower or higher positions.

True, but with the 5 speed Ford V10, there isn't a choice to downshift to 4th gear. So, you're stuck with shifting from 5th to 3rd. A 5 Star Tune corrects this in tow haul mode.

As much as I'm a fan of the 5 Star Tune, I agree that it's all about folks use and drive their rig. If you're happy with it, then there isn't any reason to change it. While I've been very happy with our Newmar, I have been interested in improving it where possible and affordable.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote