RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2020, 12:30 PM   #1

Just wasn't my day.

Today was oil change day on my 8.3 Cummins 330. Done it 6 times before. Once a year about this time.. I put the Fumoto valve on about 3 changes ago.. So today I am draining into the first 5 gallon bucket.. All is going well.. About 3 gallons in I shut of the valve and put a fresh bucket under. Well, you know that valve really doesn't drain to fast so I say to myself, self, lets go ahead and change the filter while we wait.. So I prefill the oil filter and you know sometimes it can be a bear to get it started way up there. So I am moving around and don't realize that my head has now pushed my drain bucket out from under the steady stream of black oil.. I got the filter on and still don't realize it's draining until I come out from under and I see oil draining from out of my hair.. So I look under and sure enough oil is draining on my cardboard and onto my concrete slab.. About a gallon I figure since I only filled 5 one gallon jugs with the old stuff.. took a lot of kitty litter and old tee shirts to clean it up.. 5 shampoos later my hair looks like it is the right color again. Well I figure if that is the worst that happens to me today then I had a good day.. Fuel filters tomorrow.

HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2020, 12:42 PM   #2

HR, I feel your pain. Seems like no matter how much we think that we know what we are doing, these complicated machines always like to throw curveballs at us.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/im-s...ob-281396.html

Old 05-23-2020, 03:56 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HR2004 View Post
Today was oil change day on my 8.3 Cummins 330. Done it 6 times before. Once a year about this time.. I put the Fumoto valve on about 3 changes ago.. So today I am draining into the first 5 gallon bucket.. All is going well.. About 3 gallons in I shut of the valve and put a fresh bucket under. Well, you know that valve really doesn't drain to fast so I say to myself, self, lets go ahead and change the filter while we wait.. So I prefill the oil filter and you know sometimes it can be a bear to get it started way up there. So I am moving around and don't realize that my head has now pushed my drain bucket out from under the steady stream of black oil.. I got the filter on and still don't realize it's draining until I come out from under and I see oil draining from out of my hair.. So I look under and sure enough oil is draining on my cardboard and onto my concrete slab.. About a gallon I figure since I only filled 5 one gallon jugs with the old stuff.. took a lot of kitty litter and old tee shirts to clean it up.. 5 shampoos later my hair looks like it is the right color again. Well I figure if that is the worst that happens to me today then I had a good day.. Fuel filters tomorrow.
Ever buy a new oil drain pan, stick it under a car that hold 7 quarts of oil, leave it draining for 20 minutes or so, only to come back to a garage floor that looks like the Exxon Valdez also ran aground in there.

Yup, there was a crack I didn't see when I bought it.

Fun times. Thank goodness for cat litter....
Peacekeeper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 12:05 PM   #4

Today was a good day

Changed my fuel filters.. spilled a couple drops.. that's it. Somehow they sure get tight.. but big channel locks always gets them loose again. So then I washed my AC coils, side mounted, and my rear radiator with Simple Green Extreme Aircraft Aluminum cleaner.. Tomorrow if I can still move I will grease the beast..
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 06:30 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Don't get distracted. Many years ago I was changing the oil in my pick up and got distracted. Went back to the truck and put in six new quarts.....except the plug never got put back in.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote