Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2021, 04:59 PM   #1

Just went to list an item on EBay

It's been years since I've sold anything on eBay. After going through the whole listing process , at the very end they now asked for dob and SS number. No way would I give out that information. I'll just throw it out. How many here would trust them? Now I understand how aggressive these tech companies come after our identity.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2021, 06:51 PM   #2

Wow, I can't believe they would ask for that or that anyone would actually give it to them!

Are you sure it was even E Bay and not a scam site?
Old 05-13-2021, 08:44 PM   #3

I haven't sold on eBay in a while, but I think it's because now you get a some kind of tax statement for the items that you sell. You might try offerup.
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 08:53 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have not used "E-BAIT" for anything for several years now.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 09:01 PM   #5

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I'm current selling a Equalizer Hydraulic leveling pump on Ebay as well as well as somes other things & was not asked for either of those things (as a seller)..so not sure why they would ask you shootist. I've been more of a buyer than seller until the last couple weeks to clear out some deadweight automotive stuff but I wouldn't give them it if they asked.
groveln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by groveln View Post
I'm current selling a Equalizer Hydraulic leveling pump on Ebay as well as well as somes other things & was not asked for either of those things (as a seller)..so not sure why they would ask you shootist. I've been more of a buyer than seller until the last couple weeks to clear out some deadweight automotive stuff but I wouldn't give them it if they asked.
Maybe the fact I haven't sold there for 15 years. I do still buy things now and then so they know who I am.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:56 PM   #7

Been a seller and buyer for almost 20 years. Have never had to give my social number to date. Been through tons of other hoops.
Old 05-14-2021, 07:03 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Give out my SS#, Medicare#, bank info on line will happen when as they say: Pigs Fly
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 11:17 PM   #9
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
eBay needs the SSN for reporting 1099 income to IRS. The only option is to register a business name or LLC, etc. and apply for an EIN then use that. It's not eBay it's the IRS requiring this, too many sellers flying under the radar on income taxes.May 20, 2020
Old 05-16-2021, 02:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
It's been years since I've sold anything on eBay. After going through the whole listing process , at the very end they now asked for dob and SS number. No way would I give out that information. I'll just throw it out. How many here would trust them? Now I understand how aggressive these tech companies come after our identity.
Whenever anyone asks for this info, get creative.
Fast E is offline   Reply With Quote