Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2021, 09:59 PM   #1

Kansas Highway Patrol Harassment

Have any of you actually been stopped when leaving Colorado by cops looking for marijuana products? Or are those tales just Urban Legends?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2021, 10:53 PM   #2

Urban Legends..........

Or maybe NOT
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 03:55 AM   #3

I think that Cheech and Chong have a hotline for such questions. You might try there. Ask for Shelby.
Old 04-22-2021, 05:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmckinley View Post
Have any of you actually been stopped when leaving Colorado by cops looking for marijuana products? Or are those tales just Urban Legends?
1. no
2. yes
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 06:43 AM   #5

Load up! No problems here. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Old 04-22-2021, 06:53 AM   #6

Location: Between Knoxville and Morristown, TN. A little place called Rutledge.
Travelled thru CO

I think the local police, or perhaps state, have eyes on the pot shops. Looking for out of state licenses and share an agreement with neighboring states to warn of incoming traffic.

It's like the New Mexico and Texas highway checks surrounding El Paso. Their license plate readers ID where and when you pass checkpoints and they question or search vehicles based on that information.

The plate readers technology has been perfected to a point where people can be tracked and "time stamped" anywhere in the US. We even saw readers used in Las Vegas hotel parking lots so when you drive in they record the time and you pay when you drive out for the hours you parked. No lost tickets, no stopping to pull a parking ticket when you enter.
SteveNSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:03 AM   #7

KS police are probably not actively looking for the weekend recreational user sneaking in a packet of edibles or bud, but I guarantee that they are searching for the transporters smuggling in larger quantities. They use any and every little traffic or vehicle safety infraction to pull over a vehicle to try to get in for a search.
At that point, what does it matter whether they were searching for a bud or a bale? You're caught.
Mind your Ps and Qs if you take the risk.
Old 04-22-2021, 08:09 AM   #8

I wouldn't sweat it, particularly if you're talking about cartridges or edibles. It's now fairly common for people to even fly with those, and there are far more dogs and enforcement at an airport than on a highway.

I have family in Kansas, and I haven't heard of any stories about harassment. And knowing my family...I would've heard about them, I think.
Old 04-22-2021, 08:11 AM   #9

Are you driving a 1958 VW panel van with flowers painted on the side?

Do you have your 800 watt stereo at full volume playing Grateful Dead?

Is there sweet smelling smoke pouring out your windows?

Is the first word out of your mouth: DUDE.......

Then MAYBE.
Old 04-22-2021, 08:43 AM   #10

I live in Colorado and leave the state frequently. I have never seen a cop at the border waiting to pull people over. I have run across, twice in the last 20 years, signage on I70 stating that there was a drug interdiction site ahead and be prepared to stop. However I have never seen a site even though the sign was up. Both times the site was way east over by Manhattan KS 300ish miles east of the Colorado border.

Early on in Colorado's new marijuana laws there were media reports of some of the small border towns in neighboring states doing as you described. They would pull over people with Colorado plates. According to the reports back then it was big business for those small towns. However I have not heard any reports like that for years. Only about 40% of the counties in the state allow it and even within the counties that do allow the local towns within that county can still have it outlawed so it is not like it is available everywhere you go in the state and a dispensary on every corner.
Old 04-22-2021, 09:04 AM   #11

No one cares about grandpa and his 3.5 grams of Sour Diesel. No one is reading license plates for apprehension in other states.

lol people
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 04:57 PM   #12

All I can tell you is in Wisconsin the town I live by changed the fine for 1 ounce or less to a $1 fine .We have both Illinois and Michigan with legal recreational use on our border. Law enforcement agencies have more important things to deal with .
Dval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 05:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmckinley View Post
Look at the states you are going into. If you are going into a state that sells MJ e.g. AZ you don't have a problem.

Also, most states have a personal amount rule that they don't prosecute.

But if you are driving under the influence you have a problem. And if you are get into an accident and have THC in your blood; it could complicate things.
PS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 05:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Are you driving a 1958 VW panel van with flowers painted on the side?

Do you have your 800 watt stereo at full volume playing Grateful Dead?

Is there sweet smelling smoke pouring out your windows?

Is the first word out of your mouth: DUDE.......

Then MAYBE.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote