Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2018, 06:18 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Knee replacement anyone?

It appears I’m headed at warp speed towards one, and most likely two, knee replacements in the near term.

If you’ve had one, what has been your experience with recovery? Are you pain-free today? Do you have full range of motion? How long to go from OR to walking without a hitch in your giddy up?
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2018, 06:25 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
It appears I’m headed at warp speed towards one, and most likely two, knee replacements in the near term.

If you’ve had one, what has been your experience with recovery? Are you pain-free today? Do you have full range of motion? How long to go from OR to walking without a hitch in your giddy up?
Can't speak to the replacement, but I had arthroscopic surgery on my right knee last Wednesday. Except for extreme cramping in my calf muscle, I am getting to the point after 5 days that I can walk as well as I could before the surgery, and the road to recovery looks bright for even less impairment after a few weeks. Time will tell.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:25 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Knee replacement anyone?

I had both done in 2007. My surgeon told me he’d do his half and impressed upon me the importance of me doing rehab ( my half ). I am pain free ( that took the better part of nine months ). Doing two at once is a far cry from doing one at a time but I don’t have any regrets. I couldn’t walk a city block and now do three miles everyday. I’m in Peru as I write this and hiked Machu Picchu last Friday. As far range goes I have about 153 degrees as I recall . They don’t twist very well but there’s not much I can’t do.
Hope this helps. Best of luck with yours.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:50 AM   #4

My mom had them done and as cliff stated rehab makes all the difference. Follow the process although not always pleasant.
MikeO58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:03 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Grand Design Owners Club
Knee Replacement

My wife has had both knees replaced due to arthritis. One in 2011 and the other in 2015. Today she is mostly pain free and the benefit is she is now an excellent weather predictor in the area. She can tell rain is coming up to 36 hours before it arrives....LOL.
Seriously, the relief from the pain she had before the surgeries is next to miraculous and the other posts are correct as to doing your due diligence with rehab. We now enjoy long walks and life is so much sweeter with my bride beside me!
david.howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post

I have had my left knee done about two years ago. The surgery went will and I was up and walking the first day of surgery late in the day though with a walker. I only spent one day in the hospital and was discharged after I went through therapy at the hospital. To see if I could get into and out of a car plus walk up one flight of stairs.

After three weeks of home therapy I could bend my knee about 105 deg's. My doctor wanted at least 95 deg's of motion after three weeks. I had some pain during therapy with my knee but that is too be excepted nothing server but it was there. After two months from my surgery date I was able to walk and still do 5 miles a day with no side effects and with a normal gate.

Good luck and do fear the surgery just do it and you will be better off when done.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:34 AM   #7

I had both knees done about 18 months apart. First one was in 2012 and I'm now 63 years old. Both knees had previous surgeries and I have psoriatic arthritis. Anyway, this ended up being good event and I ask myself why I waited so long? Answer is that I was scared but when left knee got so bad I had to sit after walking 100 feet, it ended up being no-brainer to get it done. I liked the result so well, I had right knee done a year-and-a-half later. Now I can walk 5-10 miles. I've both snow and water skied although it was a bit of a push as I'm just not physically in that great of a shape. There really is no limit on flexibility but probably won't be playing basketball or tennis.

The surgery is getting fairly routine. A night or two in hospital and they make you get out of bed and walk with crutches or walker several hours after surgery. I was back at work in two or three weeks after surgery but that was only due to boredom as I only lasted a few hours and went home. PT (physical therapy) is very important and should be done several times a week as long as your insurance will allow. I also tried to lose weight before surgery as I'm fat and it makes recovery faster (easier said than done!).

Bottom line: don't hesitate as your life will be better after the procedure. You'll read on forums about people who had replacements and never did well but I believe if you're basically healthy (let your doctor decide this), not too overweight, and do PT afterword, you won't regret your decision.

Paul in Colorado.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:40 AM   #8

In 2012, I had bi-lateral total replacement knees. Visited some friends in Michigan in 6 weeks, learning how to walk on sand again.

I was fully up and around, complaining about hip pain, in 12 weeks. That's when I had my left hip done.

I had the knees in May, the hip in August and was down in November, living on my boat for the winter season.

The first week or two were horrible, having both done, but I knew I would push off doing the other, if I only had the worst one done.

I spent a week in acute, in hospital, therapy and then a bunch of out-patient visits. One knee recovered faster then the other, but I had a tough therapist that pushed me thru. My therapy probably wouldn't have been in the hospital if I only had one done at a time.

My DW was a trooper in agreeing with me on doing both knees at once. Her support made it possible.

Can't squat, may be because of my weight, and kneeling takes a year or two to get used to the feeling.

You will love the replacement knee but miss the original one, when it was good.

I could ride a bike, take hikes, swim, camp and climb all over my fly bridge boat. Did a brake job on the MH and a timming belt on the toad.

I say " could " because my right hip is gone and I'm getting that replaced in June. Hips are easy.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:49 AM   #9

Good luck buddy, I can't help you with the knee but I just had my 2nd shoulder surgery in the last 6 months, no fun but it has to be done. ..hope everything goes well for you...

push thru physical therapy the best you can, really helps in the long run
wingnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:49 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Several people we know have had one or both knees replaced. Most turn out well. However DW’s did not.
In May of 2016 she had her right knee replaced. Surgery went great as well as initial rehab. About two months later while just sitting in a chair she experienced sharp pain in the knee cap area. These spasms went on for a couple of hours and the next day she had a huge bruise show up. Went back to the surgeon and he said just give it time.
Long story short, the pain and hematomas went on for another 7 months before the surgeon decided to do a revision knee replacement. Turns out, the ligaments around the knee are supposed to stabilize the prosthesis but in her case, the ligaments are “loose” and this caused the prosthesis to become unstable.
The revision knee is more “robust” and is more stable without the help of ligaments but a year after the second replacement, she still has swelling around the knee and still needs a cane when outside the house.
We realize this is an exception to normal knee replacements, but it did happen and we suggest to educate yourself in the procedure before surgery so you know what complications could arise.
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:05 AM   #11

Two knee surgeries, and then a total right knee in 2011, it's much stronger and it doesn't pop out on me anymore. But I can't kneel on it, it hurts everyday. But it's better then before. My biggest problem was, I went back to work way to early. Now I have a appointment with my surgeon to go over an MRI of my left knee, I think it will need to be replaced also. Just take it easy, do what your supposed to. Most of all take your time healing, Do it right the first time. Good luck.
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:06 AM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I had both total knee replacements on 2/5/2014 at age 63. Eight weeks later I drove the RV from southern Washington to central Arkansas. At 10 week’s post op I was climbing hills in order to do a 7 leap zip line course.

The most important rehab tool is your attitude. Self pity will delay healing and limit your range of motion. My only lasting challenge is kneeling. The scars make that tough without good knee pads.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:11 AM   #13

I had both knees replaced in 2013, was up walking same day as surgery ,i spent 2 nites in hospital the came hone and went to a therapy center 3 times a week. they were replaced 3 months apart. I was pain free at the 90 day point each time. My only regret is that I waited too long to have it done.
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:17 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
I also should not have put off having mine replaced for a second time. Get it done and work hard in therapy.. Actually work on strengthening your legs before surgery is good too.

Tags
ace, replace, replacement