Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2014, 10:36 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm nearsighted. Hated getting up from my desk and putting my glasses on to walk down the hall at work. Or worse, getting halfway down the hall and realizing I'd forgotten my glasses and couldn't see 50' in front of me. Also hated wearing glasses to watch TV (and falling asleep).

About 8 years ago, I had one eye done for distance (the weaker of my two eyes). Had a tune-up to fine tune the vision about 45 days later. Happy, Happy, Happy!

After 8 years, my long distance vision isn't quite as good as wearing glasses, but the convenience factor of not having to fuss with glasses and being able to pick up a cheap pair of Foster Grant sunglasses far outweighs it. Even though it cost me about $1200 for the procedure, I figure I'm several $$$ ahead by not having to buy prescription glasses.

I wouldn't go cheap though. I've seen the $250 ads and I cringe. These are your eyes!
Enjoying the simple life w/a 1994 Winnebago Brave 31RQ (A). Past RVs; RoadTrek (B), Starcraft Pop-up, Coachmen (C), MinnieWinnie (C) and an American Something-or-other (TT). Started it all off as a teenager in a 1964 Apache Pop-up we named Wag Along.
minibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2014, 02:44 PM   #16

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I went, the only thing that's gonna kick me away from glasses is Monovision.

And that procedure is 3200.00 for both eyes.

Not gonna happen.

Too many bills to afford that luxury....

So glasses it is....for the near future....
Old 11-19-2014, 03:52 PM   #17
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
That's more like the right price. It is an expensive procedure, but then eyesight is precious so you don't want to skimp when a laser cutting your eyeball is involved. Although I have wondered how long the correction lasts compared to me spending approx $450 for my progressive bifocals I get every couple of years. If the procedure would last longer than 8 years, I'd at least break even.

So, just what DOES one get for $250 per eye?

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 04:15 PM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
In answer to your question on how long it lasts, I had both eyes done in 1998...just had an eye check up and both eyes are exactly the same thing as they were then 20/15 in one and 20/35 in the other. I do use readers.

Second issue is cost...all over the map. I had mine done in Omaha by a highly regarded eye surgeon in 1998 for $2800 for both eyes. DW got it done in 2008 in DC and it cost $5600. For me and her, worth every penny. Just make sure when you're pricing to review the net for the clinic you're going to use. It can't be too cheap, because the third generation LASIK, pays a premium to IBM for every surgery, and I'm sure IBM isn't letting that go for the developed technology. JMHO
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:17 AM   #19

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
That's more like the right price. It is an expensive procedure, but then eyesight is precious so you don't want to skimp when a laser cutting your eyeball is involved. Although I have wondered how long the correction lasts compared to me spending approx $450 for my progressive bifocals I get every couple of years. If the procedure would last longer than 8 years, I'd at least break even.

So, just what DOES one get for $250 per eye?

Lori-
They told me the Monovision procedure would be permanent and I'd never need glasses again...some 98-99% assured stats with that procedure.

Here's the transcript of the 'fine print'

Quote:
♥$250 per eye price applies to patients with qualifying insurance coverage receiving treatment for up to -1.00 diopter with up to -1.00 diopter of astigmatism, performed with traditional excimer laser (Advantage Plan not available). Prices range between $247 and $2,249 per eye based on prescription, laser, Advantage Plan selected as well as patient's insurance coverage. Treatment must be completed by 12/31/2014. Not valid at LasikPlus locations in Annapolis/Baltimore/Columbia,MD, Austin,TX, Detroit/Northville/Warren,MI, Ft.Lauderdale,FL, OklahomaCity,OK, SanAntonio,TX, Tacoma/Seattle,WA. Best price when compared with other national LASIK provider pricing advertised online as of 10/31/2014.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:01 PM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
NLOVIT: DH & I both have used progressive lenses. I had cataract surgery & can see at distances now, but need readers close up. I also need intermediate correction for playing cello. So, I have 2 pair plus 1 pair of sunglasses and all 3 together cost way less than $450. DH has a really odd prescription -- nearsighted in one eye & far sighted by the other. His glasses with progressive lenses cost less than $200. We ordered online from Eye Buy Direct. There are other online dispensers as well. You might want to check it out.
Textronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 04:34 PM   #21

Thumbs up

My vision was getting worse as I aged (I am 57), and my right eye was nearly legally blind. Eye doc kept suggesting Cataract Surgery. I finally opted for it, as my last glasses were less than a year old and already no longer helping. Got the procedure early this year. My what a difference!
I am now 20/30 in both eyes, so I do wear glasses for driving and shooting, though I can get by without them. I do need reading glasses for up close.
It cost $1,200 per eye, but my health insurance paid for it. Went with the 'distance' option, as that would help me best. There were some options, like getting rid of the astigmatism and giving clear sight up close and at a distance, but that was $1,600 per eye, and the health insurance did NOT cover it! So I got the cheap package. I wish I had done it ten years ago!
It is kind of a PITA having to carry both pairs of glasses, and cleaning them. But being able to read distant road signs and using open rifle sights again makes it very worthwhile!

My sister had gotten the Lasic years ago, then had to get the cataract surgery recently - it totally counteracts the Lasic. So keep that in mind.
LeeRevell is offline   Reply With Quote