Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2011, 05:42 PM   #43

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaRoadie View Post
Ah yes... those great 50's !!! I remember in 52 or 53 my Dad bought the first TV anyone in the neighborhood (patch) ever knew of. I used to charge a penny for the other kidz to come in and watch THE CISCO KID or The LONE RANGER. We would listen more than watch cause picture quality took too much coordination of antenna movement and group movements. We donned towels and jumped off roofs to see if that SUPERMAN thing worked. Cant remember not ever having something in a cast cause SUPERMAN was only one had the majic...:(
Imagine the ACLU dealing with Pancho and Cisco or how Tonto was prejudicially presented to all the poor native american kids... and I wont even start on Amos & Andy !
You stood straight and tall in school to say the Pledge of Alligence, and we were One Nation under God, you bowed your head and stayed silent or recited the Lord's Prayer... and teachers applied those wooden pointers liberally to not just the blackboards.
A 5 cent soda was shared by half the neighborhood and we coveted the empties cause one could get 2 cents for each one. 25 Cents bought a pack of Lucky Strikes or Camels and we snuck into the nearest "woods" to light-up and gag our lungs out.
Was a great find to see a empty box from "Land of Lakes Butter" so we could steal Mom's scissors and make lil cutouts turning the poor indian girls knees into boobs...
I often carried around a single-shot 12 ga shotgun, a red Rider BB Gun, or even a machete and noone paid much attention other than to ask if I could bring home some meat for dinner. Now I would probably be placed into psychiatric care for eternity just for thinking about such a thing... then a 5 to 7 year old could dream and play. I did get into awful trouble when I "borrowed" a box of Mom's tampax tampons and used them as lil sticks of dynomightttttt to chase off the invading indians !!!!!
Remember when the town drunk fell asleep too close to the railroad tracks, got chopped into pieces and the coroner gave all us kids a lil burlap bag and had us help collect the remains. Imagine all the grief counsellors would be required to deal with that today !!!!!!
Special dinner on Sunday meant the death of another crazed chicken which had to be hunted down, beheaded, plucked clean and cooked in a magic pot to create enough food to feed dozens of family, friends, and relatives. And also crawling around thru all that tainted dirt in the garden to get the "fixins" to help that magic pot create chicken creamy gravy ! We had no ideaout blasto or salmonella or any of the terrible maladies could befall a child of today if they were to even get dirty.
Maybe thats why my mind dont work all that well these days ! Where is that Lawyers number...

I do NOT suffer from mental illness, but rather enjoy it daily !
I liked Chesterfield or Pall Mall, the woman at the drug store thought my Dad changed brands of cigarettes every other week. One time she called me on it I said "Oh the one brand was for my Mother and the other was for my Father, Wrong! My Dad had been in there the day before and bought a carton of cigarettes, I no longer got away with buying my smokes in that drug store. (he also told the lady that my Mother had passed away about a month before he went in there.) I knew there was a Union 76 Service station that had a cigarette machine that sold them for $0.25 a pack so I got mine there. After that time I startted smoking Chesterfields because nobody wanted to bum them at the smoking area across from the High School.

I remember one time when I was about 7 or 8, my cousin found a box of adult items in his Dad's nightstand drawer. We filled them with water, climbed up in the BIG OAK TREE in their front yard. Now you have to picture this tree it went out over the street...... Well we were dropping these bombs we made on cars as they drove under the tree. Very Bad part of the whole thing.......we saw a BRAND NEW CAR coming down the street when it got under the tree we let this thing go splat right on the windshield only bad part was it was MY Dad and MY Uncle coming home from my Uncle picking up my Dad off the ship. In my Dad's Brand new car that we had never seen.

I think I still have some red marks from the razor strop that show up when I take a hot shower.

If We Can't Haul It....You Don't Need It ! Motor-T
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2011, 05:47 PM   #44

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hey Top
Are you trying to make us feel old?
"Semper Fi"
Old 12-05-2011, 05:51 PM   #45

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachboy27 View Post
Just reading that takes me back. I knew that I was responsible for what I did and would take the punishment, even when I threw the box of dried, salted cod fish down the neighbours well.

I can see it now.
"Semper Fi"
Old 12-05-2011, 05:56 PM   #46

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
You had to show respect to teachers and adults. If you didn't you got a little lesson in pain management! You were taught manners and were reminded when you forgot them and when you did something wrong it was your fault and you were expected to apologize! No wonder the kids these days think we are dumb.

My DW works for a school district......you should hear her talk about the "gen-pool" that she has to work with every day. And the parents blame the teachers because their children are dumber than rocks.

If We Can't Haul It....You Don't Need It ! Motor-T
"Semper Fi"
Old 12-05-2011, 05:57 PM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In the early 60's my dad got some other neighborhood dads together and built a tree house for us kids to hang out in. It was a big deal, everybody chipped in and we had a regular "tree house raising". It had a trap door and a hoist and my buddies and I spent many hot summer nights camped out in it. We'd swipe the old man's Playboys and smoke cigs and generally act like 10 year olds.
Speaking of cigs, I can remember going to the local drugstore with a note from dad to pick up a pack or some tobacco for his pipe. Imagine that today.
Last year I drove by that old house in Baltimore, the tree house is STILL THERE, but all the yards are fenced in now, saw no kids playing anywhere. I really miss those days......
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:00 PM   #48

Use to be able buy Cherry Bombs and all kinds of good stuff.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:03 PM   #49
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We used to build forts in the woods and have battles with dirt clod fights and attach each other with sticks. *

Then there were the battles in the orchards with the rotten oranges. We were only allowed to use the oranges that dropped. *If our fathers found that we were pidking them we would get a lashing. *And it didn't matter whit dad did the beating they were all on the same page.

I even got a blast of rock salt in the back of my legs on a distant farm and when I got home I got a leacher with no sympathy.

Learned to drive a 3 speed willy's jeep in the fields when I was able to reach the peddles. *I still have the pick of me and my dad (both with big old grins) I had to sit on the front edge of the seat to reach the peddles.

Those were the days!!!

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:17 PM   #50

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
We used to build forts in the woods and have battles with dirt clod fights and attach each other with sticks. *

Then there were the battles in the orchards with the rotten oranges. We were only allowed to use the oranges that dropped. *If our fathers found that we were pidking them we would get a lashing. *And it didn't matter whit dad did the beating they were all on the same page.

I even got a blast of rock salt in the back of my legs on a distant farm and when I got home I got a leacher with no sympathy.

Learned to drive a 3 speed willy's jeep in the fields when I was able to reach the peddles. *I still have the pick of me and my dad (both with big old grins) I had to sit on the front edge of the seat to reach the peddles.

Those were the days!!!
Back in the day we had our forts in a couple of abandon houses, we had brick fights, couldn't use anything over 1/4 brick anything else was lethal,guess you can tell I got hit in the head a couple of times
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:57 PM   #51
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo122 View Post
Back in the day we had our forts in a couple of abandon houses, we had brick fights, couldn't use anything over 1/4 brick anything else was lethal,guess you can tell I got hit in the head a couple of times
We also played in some old barns. Got a nail through and through my foot one time. Guess I got hit a few times too hard as well. Can't even spell lecture. Darn auto correct is smarter than me. Where did DW hide the whiteout...?

Old 12-05-2011, 08:27 PM   #52

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
We also played in some old barns. Got a nail through and through my foot one time. Guess I got hit a few times too hard as well. Can't even spell lecture. Darn auto correct is smarter than me. Where did DW hide the whiteout...?
What are you doing with the whiteout, not drinking it I hope, kind of tough on the ol brain cells
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:29 PM   #53
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ah! Not trying to make anyone feel old. I was born 5 months and 1 day before Pearl Harbor.

I have done all of the things so far posted here in one form or another, except I never brought a gun to school, and one other thing but I'm not going to re-read the thread to remember what it was.

Yeah! I also had to smoke the same brand as my father, Pall Mall. It's amazing I'm not dead from picking up used cig butts off the street and smoking them. If they had a filter on them we just broke it off. In the really rough times that we could not get a pack of cigs, we went into the woods and there was a certain type of grass that was hollow. We would pull it out of the ground and it was about 10 inches or so long, light the end and puff on it. It sure did burn fast, tasted awful, and burned your throat something fierce, but we loved doing it.

Got you beat MegaRoadie, first tv in our house was in 1948-49, don't remember exact year, but it was the first year my dad could afford the $50 or so. There were no programs during the day, all you could get was a test pattern. At night there were minimal programs to begin, and I'm not positive, but was it Ed Sullivan or Milton Berle, or what - CRS - Must be 70 years old.

Our first Colored TV was 1952 or there abouts. We had moved to a new house, one that dad now owned. Somewhere in my supply of things I still may have a picture of it. Wow! Did the picture ever improve when he put up an antenna on the 3 story house. All the stations improved when he put a rotor on it. He and my uncle then went into a weekend/evening business of installing antennas on house that anyone wanted one on.

I'm glad this thread has brought back some memories, and I hope the are all good ones.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:30 PM   #54

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
This says it all, with one exception, you had to win to receive a trophy back then. Taught us that we had to work for something if we wanted it. Today with the no loser policy kids grow up expecting trophies for simply showing up.
These kids grow up living in air conditioning, with their iphones, xboxes and cable tv, never having had to work for any of it. Nobody keeping score. Then they graduate with their degrees in ecology or ergonomics or whatever and they come to realize they can't get a job, free ride is over, and life DOES keep score.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:37 PM   #55
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It is a definite problem when you use whiteout on the computer monitor. Have you had success in getting rid of the whiteout.

Try turning the computer off.

If that doesn't work, use water. Get a bucket, fill it with water and pour it on the monitor screen. Make sure the monitor is plugged in and turned on.

If you believe any of the above you probably did use whiteout!
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:46 PM   #56
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Natural selection at it's finest. Now my iPad won't turn on.