Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2011, 08:29 PM   #113

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In 1958 or 1959.....I went to the Grand Canyon with my Aunt & Uncle and my cousin (my Dad was @ Sea and my Mom was in Balboa Naval Hospital, they thought she was going to die)

We drove across the desert in a 1954 Studebaker Hawk. It was well into the 100 degree plus (no Air Conditioning) we had a great time. It rained while we were going down the highway we all thought it would help cool it off but it seemed to make it get hotter after the rain stopped. I remember we had to stop for an hour or so because the road flooded. We stopped at the Colorado River some how I got a splinter in my big toe on my right foot.
(I remember that well my cousin will not let me forget that at every family get together, even though there is only about six of us still living 1 Aunt that's 94 tomorrow)
Any way my Uncle saw that I had a splinter in my toe. He pulls out his pocket knife (that looks humungous to a little kid) He say's I will have to cut your toe off if I can't get that splinter out (wrong thing to say to a child who's Mom had her leg cut off at the knee, in Balboa Naval Hospital)
I guess I took off like a road runner and hid or tried to under the car.(after he passed away my cousin gave me that Buck Knife, the blades been sharpened so much it's only like a needle) After that we continued to the Grand Canyon....on a Saturday Morning my Aunt made Oatmeal for breakfast.....I sat there from 0700 until 1145 hours and would not eat that bowl of Oatmeal. I remember that until, both my Aunt and Uncle both died every time I would see them or in the middle of a meal @ a family gathering one or both of them would start a conversation asking me if I remembered our vacation at the Grand Canyon.

A couple of years before my Uncle Died aka WA6UTR. I asked him what he wanted for his birthday he said to me "I want to see you eat a bowl of Oatmeal"
Also I want you to get your "Ham Radio Ticket". (not only did I get my ticket but my wife also got her ticket.)
My wife and I were in Reno Nevada on a business convention, it so happened his birthday fell on the last Friday we were there. My wife took a photgraph oh me sitting there eating that bowl of Oatmeal....(in the picture I look like I am going to hurl chunks.) So on Fathers day that year I sent him that picture with the date stamp on it....and a copy of my Technician License and a copy of my wife license. (I have a copy of that picture around here somewhere) He passed away a couple of years ago at the age of 97.

So I guess those were the Good Old Days to me.
I remember listening to Vin Scully & Jerry Dogget with my Aunt and Uncle broadcasting the Dodgers Baseball games and listening to Chuck Cecil, playing the radio show the swinging years on KFI out of Los Angeles and the family cabin in the Apple Valley area . I think it's Lucerne Valley Ca.
They didn't believe in a television.

Oh well know I really do feel old!

If We Can't Haul It....You Don't Need It ! Motor-T
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2011, 09:11 PM   #114

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmmpe View Post
Hondo,
Your youth is showing.

Rootie Kazootie was a character on an early TV show who wore his ball cap's bill off to the side of his head. Very much like the goofy way kids do today (I guess it keeps their ears from getting sun-burned).

The show was of the same time frame as Howdy Doody and Kukla, Fran and Ollie (puppets were big back then).
I can remember the other 2 quite well, but can't place Rootie Kazootie. When I've seen kids wearing their hats sideways I tell my grandkids and friends that if I ever see theirs like that, I'll smack it straight, wouldn't really but they get the point. I'll admit that does bother me, lots of things I did bothered my folks, things just go around.
PS I remember most of the TV shows from 52-53 and I'm not what one would call young. I just age well like good cigars and single malt scotch.
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:36 PM   #115

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just watched "A Christmas Carol" on TMC. It was made in 1951.
I remember when I was in Elementary School in the 5th Grade.....they gathered all of the kids in the school and took all of us to the cafeteria, and showed all of us this movie on a big screen.

Try even saying Christmas Vacation in a public School today. It's now called Winter Break.
At Easter Time it's called Spring Break. No longer Easter vacation !

So much for politically correct.

Merry Christmas and Season's Greetings or Happy New Years.

If We Can't Haul It....You Don't Need it! Motor-T
"Semper Fi"
Old 12-12-2011, 10:09 PM   #116

National RV Owners Club
Thanks for the memories, we used to build hook and ladder firetrucks with the old skates and ride them down the hills where I grew up. We had some pretty good hills in San Francisco. I remember penny candy, and aspirins in a bottle of coke was supposed to make you high. 5 cent candy bars, remember when the Three Musketeer could be broke into 3 equal pieces? Had three crushes growing up, Annette, Princes Summer Fall Winter Spring and Theresa Brewer. Use to sneak into the drive-ins in the car trunk. Our fun drag races were on the Great Highway.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:21 PM   #117

Fleetwood Owners Club
I am trying to teach my grand kids some of the skills I perfected in the fifties, shooting, knife throwing, welding, woodworking etc. I believe the feeling that I could tackle any task came from a free and spirited childhood. Very little money but the freedom to try almost anything. I am sure the dangers were out there but we were street smart and survived to be the generation that DID! Amazes me that advertisers like the 18 to 49 bunch, we have the money because of how we learned to work as youngsters.
Alan24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:48 AM   #118

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
How about making a scooter from a 2X4, a lug box and a broken pair of roller scates. Come home when the street lights come on. Had to walk to school 2 miles up hill both ways.

Don
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:52 AM   #119

jzick - You forgot every boy's favorite shoe, those abominable "Flagg Flyers".

Hondo - Rootie Kazootie was an east coast thing and ran on NYC's WBNT from 1950 to 1954. His hat had a large bill, worn a bit sideways and turned up.

w6pea - I also watched 'A Christmas Carol' last night. That version, with Alistair Sims, is my favorite of all and they used to broadcast it nightly for 2 weeks on WPIX channel 11 in NYC. I watched it every night on a B&W TV while lying on the floor. I loved it then as I do today.

sgtjoe - I liked Darlene more than Annette but was totally fascinated earlier by Princess Summer Fall Winter Spring of the Howdy Doody show. Theresa Brewer (Put another Nickel In) was also on my list. Then there was ..............................

Another bit of trivia: Bobby, of the Mickey Mouse show, was a dancer on the Lawrence Welk show in later years.

To all,
This is unquestionably one of my favorite topics and I thank you all for contributing your little part of our world.

Merry Christmas and God bless us, everyone.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:05 AM   #120

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmmpe View Post
jzick - You forgot every boy's favorite shoe, those abominable "Flagg Flyers".

Hondo - Rootie Kazootie was an east coast thing and ran on NYC's WBNT from 1950 to 1954. His hat had a large bill, worn a bit sideways and turned up.

w6pea - I also watched 'A Christmas Carol' last night. That version, with Alistair Sims, is my favorite of all and they used to broadcast it nightly for 2 weeks on WPIX channel 11 in NYC. I watched it every night on a B&W TV while lying on the floor. I loved it then as I do today.

sgtjoe - I liked Darlene more than Annette but was totally fascinated earlier by Princess Summer Fall Winter Spring of the Howdy Doody show. Theresa Brewer (Put another Nickel In) was also on my list. Then there was ..............................

Another bit of trivia: Bobby, of the Mickey Mouse show, was a dancer on the Lawrence Welk show in later years.

To all,
This is unquestionably one of my favorite topics and I thank you all for contributing your little part of our world.

Merry Christmas and God bless us, everyone.
Didn't get NY TV in Philly. Milford is a lot closer. Nice country up there, was my favorite Vacation area until we got the motorhome.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:19 AM   #121
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Rootie Kazootie played a mean Kazoo!
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:29 AM   #122

Hondo,
Milford is relatively new for me (12 years). I grew up in Brooklyn and Bergen County, NJ but went on the roam in 1960.

Wayne,
Correctomundo. That's how he got his name.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:53 AM   #123

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
How many remember the
Katz N' Jammer Kids Comics?

I remember seeing them in the newspaper. My Uncle had a calendar in his garage that had the Katz N' Jammer Kids each month. How I so enjoyed going over to Uncle Paul's house just to explore his garage. And him teach me how to use a slingshot, and how to pick out the perfect rock or stone to use as a projectile Of course those days are only memories but they sure bring a smile to my face when I think about Uncle Paul, Aunt Lucille, Of course you can't forget some of the adventures of going over to Uncle Bob and Aunt Genevieve's house.......I remember one time Uncle Bob said something to me in German He told me to go say that to my Grandmother.......I did. That Bar of Ivory Soap tasted awful.....but the site on my Grandmother stickin' that bar of soap in Uncle Bob's mouth is still priceless

I remember Uncle Bob talking about his time as a POW in Japan. He spent the entire or most of WWII in a Japanese POW Camp he was at Clark Field in the Philippines.

Sorry for the rant.

If We Can't Haul It....You Don't Need It ! Motor-T
"Semper Fi"
Old 12-13-2011, 07:26 PM   #124

Not a rant.....just an example of accountablity.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:49 PM   #125

Fleetwood Owners Club
How about Uncle Petes Corner, it starred Peter Boyle Sr. When I was about 8 my Grandmother took me to Cowtown Rodeo in Woodstown NJ sitting in the stands watching the rodeo was "Uncle Pete" I went up to ask for an autograph and he told me [moderator edit], I think thats when I stopped believing in Santa Claus. One ornery old creep.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:05 PM   #126

Now that's just too bad.
An old unhappy nasty person should not have that effect on a kid.

Unfortunately and too frequently, it does.

But, as for Santa, as long long as their are children who believe in him, he'll always be real. And I'm thankful for that.