Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2011, 09:06 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
You had to show respect to teachers and adults. If you didn't you got a little lesson in pain management! You were taught manners and were reminded when you forgot them and when you did something wrong it was your fault and you were expected to apologize! No wonder the kids these days think we are dumb.
This says it all, with one exception, you had to win to receive a trophy back then. Taught us that we had to work for something if we wanted it. Today with the no loser policy kids grow up expecting trophies for simply showing up.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2011, 09:07 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachboy27 View Post
Just reading that takes me back. I knew that I was responsible for what I did and would take the punishment, even when I threw the box of dried, salted cod fish down the neighbours well.
That's really bad.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:42 PM   #17

I guess the thing that always gets to me when I hear this kind of discussion going on. Well it saddens me some but think just for a moment. Are we not the ones that raised the generation that has raised the generation that we now are so ready to find fault with? What where we doing??? What where we thinking??? What are we telling our families NOW? We had a chance and we blew it. I honestly think that we own a larger portion of this problem than we want to own up to.
JMO
Ron
Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:55 PM   #18
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Not me. I raised two boys who are not part of what you are implying. It is only a small percentage of people who cannot control, or who do not want to raise their children in a responsible manner.

However, this thread was not meant to start a discussion of what is right or wrong, but to provide some insight and humor into "Life - Back then." I remember all of them, including Black & White TV. I remember the first TV set my father bought, a Philco. The round modulated milk bottle type with a 12 inch screen. One where everyone pulled a chair up close. Dad always sat close to the antenna so he could manipulate the aluminum foil up and down one side of the "rabit ears," to try and get a sharper picture. It was a little while before we could get an antenna on the roof, and then he use aluminum foil on the twin lead coming into the back of the tv set.

before that I remember laying on the living room floor, doing my homework, or maybe even pretending to do it some times, listening to "The Green Hornet," "Superman" "Tom Mix" and other memorable radio programs.

So let's get back on topic, please.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:04 AM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
Hey Wayne, Do you remember how good the scenry was in the old radio shows? It sure helped to build imagination. I can still remember the the dungeons and castles in the Jack Armstrong program that I rushed home from school to watch (listen) to back in 1940/41. Now that I write that I hate to think about how long ago that was.
Bob King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:06 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob King View Post
Hey Wayne, Do you remember how good the scenry was in the old radio shows? It sure helped to build imagination. I can still remember the the dungeons and castles in the Jack Armstrong program that I rushed home from school to watch (listen) to back in 1940/41. Now that I write that I hate to think about how long ago that was.
Thats why I listen to Radio Classics on Sirius Channel 82. Takes me back to my Grandfather's house listening to the radio programs.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:46 AM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
I use to carry a jack knife everywhere, including school.... Try that today !
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:07 AM   #22

Yep, I too miss the fifties, but I have to remind myself that every generation looks at "their" time as better. Modern life confuses and frightens us because it is so foreign to what our mind says is right. Noone swam in swimming pools as they were all closed because of the fear of polio. When my little brother died from "food poisoning" (symptoms like those listed for e coli) we did not then or ever know the source. I too listen to Old Time Radio (it is the only push button set on the car radio) Old TV programs are really pretty awful. All dialogue and no action.

We were the generation that became the lawyers litigating everything. Our generation were the educators that couldn't spell and taught our children that self esteem was more important than achievement. Our generation are now the principals and officials perpetuating the educational system. Our generation are the legislators and "leaders" who we love to hate.

We have a set of old Ladies Home Journal magazines (circa 1907-1909) that we bought at a farm sale. The main articles in the magazine are concerned about the lack of respect for adults and rules among American children, food safety, the drug epidemic (cocaine) among American youth, the sorry state of the American economy, the inability of the family farm to stay in business, the poor school system, etc, etc, etc. Our generation is the same as others. We miss our youth and, rightfully, think we were better.

Oh well, I had best go back to The Shadow and Sherlock Holmes. These discussions are fun.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:39 AM   #23
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Bob,
The scenery was so good it was a vision for some that pictures could be transmitted in color. Yes, imagination was a necessary thing back then.

JZICK, I never had a problem with any of my teachers spelling capabilities. How do I know? Because I got marked down quite a bit for my spelling capabilities. Wow! How tings chenge.

All, do you remember all the radio programs you listen to? Here's a list that may shake your memory; 1940z-1950z Radio Programs

Anyone remember "The Bickersons," Don Ameche and Frances Langford?

I have a four set cassette tape of some of their "bickering" and it is just as funny, family entertainment for the most part, today as it was way back when. There are a lot of innuendos in their skits.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:56 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I don't remember the radio shows. But I do remember when we got our first TV. Saturday night 'Gunsmoke', Sunday night 'Ed Sullivan Show'. We didn't watch alot because we were outside so much of the day. I can't remember, was there even programing on during the daytime????
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:15 AM   #25

Quote:
I can't remember, was there even programing on during the daytime????
Not in the beginning. My father was a little weird. He bought a TV before we even had a water heater. We lived in rural NE Indiana and the only stations available (with a big antenna and the right atmospheric conditions) were two from Chicago and one each from Cleveland and, I think, Pittsburgh. Programming would start in the afternoon and go until early evening. I am not even sure if it was every day or not. I remember Howdy Doody and my parents would make us watch the Firestone Symphony Orchestra.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:16 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
The good old days
zip0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:16 AM   #27

I just returned from a visit with my 2 brothers (1st time in 12 years we were all together) when we discussed this very same topic at length. As the night wore on and the bottle contents went down, all those listening were amazed we survived our childhood. Funny how one's recollection would lead to another's. It was a continuous dialogue and truly humorous.

We had some really intense episodes of "Sibling Rivalry" back in the 50z and my middle brother and I took turns beating the crap out of each other. We were intimately familiar with "The Belt" and discipline was our constant companion.

Adding to all this were the very same things noted at the beginning of this topic.

Fortunately, our kids benefited from our upbringing and none of them have been in any serious trouble; just the same kind of mischievous behavior we 'occasionally' indulged in.

How in the world did we survive those dangerous times?

I'd truly like to re-visit and analyze them

BTW, the links to the old radio & TV shows is great. I just wish the list included the episodes so we could listen to/watch them again.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:53 AM   #28

I, like everyone in my class, carried a pocket knife to school. Being farm kids, you never knew when you'd need to cut something, hay bale twine or a switch. lol I remember taking my 22 rifle to school for show and tell. Just try that today. If you got a spanking at school you'd get one at home. During the summer, spent all day outside, usually somewhere on 220 acres of land, if a car passed the house once an hour, that was heavy traffic.

Kaye
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote