Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2011, 09:04 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ah yes... those great 50's !!! I remember in 52 or 53 my Dad bought the first TV anyone in the neighborhood (patch) ever knew of. I used to charge a penny for the other kidz to come in and watch THE CISCO KID or The LONE RANGER. We would listen more than watch cause picture quality took too much coordination of antenna movement and group movements. We donned towels and jumped off roofs to see if that SUPERMAN thing worked. Cant remember not ever having something in a cast cause SUPERMAN was only one had the majic...:(
Imagine the ACLU dealing with Pancho and Cisco or how Tonto was prejudicially presented to all the poor native american kids... and I wont even start on Amos & Andy !
You stood straight and tall in school to say the Pledge of Alligence, and we were One Nation under God, you bowed your head and stayed silent or recited the Lord's Prayer... and teachers applied those wooden pointers liberally to not just the blackboards.
A 5 cent soda was shared by half the neighborhood and we coveted the empties cause one could get 2 cents for each one. 25 Cents bought a pack of Lucky Strikes or Camels and we snuck into the nearest "woods" to light-up and gag our lungs out.
Was a great find to see a empty box from "Land of Lakes Butter" so we could steal Mom's scissors and make lil cutouts turning the poor indian girls knees into boobs...
I often carried around a single-shot 12 ga shotgun, a red Rider BB Gun, or even a machete and noone paid much attention other than to ask if I could bring home some meat for dinner. Now I would probably be placed into psychiatric care for eternity just for thinking about such a thing... then a 5 to 7 year old could dream and play. I did get into awful trouble when I "borrowed" a box of Mom's tampax tampons and used them as lil sticks of dynomightttttt to chase off the invading indians !!!!!
Remember when the town drunk fell asleep too close to the railroad tracks, got chopped into pieces and the coroner gave all us kids a lil burlap bag and had us help collect the remains. Imagine all the grief counsellors would be required to deal with that today !!!!!!
Special dinner on Sunday meant the death of another crazed chicken which had to be hunted down, beheaded, plucked clean and cooked in a magic pot to create enough food to feed dozens of family, friends, and relatives. And also crawling around thru all that tainted dirt in the garden to get the "fixins" to help that magic pot create chicken creamy gravy ! We had no ideaout blasto or salmonella or any of the terrible maladies could befall a child of today if they were to even get dirty.
Maybe thats why my mind dont work all that well these days ! Where is that Lawyers number...

I do NOT suffer from mental illness, but rather enjoy it daily !
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2011, 09:15 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We lived in the country. We used to shoot rats with our bb guns from the back steps of the house. We had an old chicken coop and the soffits were rotted out. All the neighbor kids had bb guns and we would spend an entire afternoon. We were all mad when my dad tore it down. LOL
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:22 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo122 View Post
So true, there' one thing I did I'd like to add, my Uncle Larry operated a landing craft in the South Pacific and brought a captured Japanese Rifle home with him. I don't remember exactly how but when I was 7 or 8 it became mine, it was my "toy gun" from then on when we played Army, can anyone imagine what would happen now if a kid was running
around his neighborhood with a real rifle, but such was life in the 50s. Still have it, maybe I'll let my grandson play with it, how long before I get locked up
Same with me and most of the neighborhood kids. Mine and a lot of others were lost during those war games. We were even allowed to draw war scenes on our book covers, guns, tanks, planes and battle scenes. Carried our pocket knives to school and hunted in packs with our BB guns.
No wonder the country is screwed up, I guess it's all our fault. Somehow I feel no remorse.
bluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:38 AM   #32

About guns at school. When I lived in Plattsmouth Neb. this guy Lewis Starkweather (sp) and his girl friend were running around killig lots of people. They came on the PA system and urged those who could to bring their guns with then in their trucks. A lot of the kid were on rural farms. Most of those kids had a rifle rack in their trucks and were already doing this.
bluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:08 AM   #33

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There is another thing to put in the list; your Mom sent you out of the house, to play, in the morning and you were told to come back when the street lights came on.

I would play all day, to include full tackle football, climbing tree's etc. I would come home with new bumps and bruises and as long as I wasn't gushing blood, no one thought twice about it. Now I see commercials asking kids to play, outside, one hour each day. Boy, no one had to do that, it was hard for us to come back inside!!

When my Mother said "wait until your father get's home", I knew that I was in BIG trouble and just those words would straighten me out in a skinny minute (not that I didn't respect my Mother but my Dad could wield the belt MUCH better than my Mom)!

My Mom was badly hurt, in a motorcycle accident when I was 11. My Dad was in Vietnam, so I- being the oldest- took care of my little sister and brother at home while she was in the hospital. The neighbor lady checked in on us once a day.
Can you imagine that happening today? An 11 year old taking care of a 9 & 7 year old?

I loved listening to Masterpeice Theater more than watching the three channels on TV. We only had one TV, so when I went to babysit I got to watch the wonderful silent films and knew who Mary Pickford and Douglas Fairbanks were.

BTW, I grew up in the 60's..............
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:29 AM   #34
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Author Unknown
===========

Love to all of us who shared this era; and to all who didn't, sorry for what you missed. I wouldn't trade it for anything!
That's surely the truth.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:40 AM   #35

To say nothing about nailing roller skates to boards, "building" a control station out of old produce crates and trying to set a land speed record by coasting down the nearest big hill.

Another treat was "building" a cart out of 2X4 boards, 10-penny nail axles, old baby carriage wheels and steering it with your feet as you went after the record down a really BIG half-mile hill.

Oh, take me back to the 50z.

A time when you'd hear things like:
"Hey, Missus Mangiapani, the garbage man's downstairs".
Atsa nice, senda uppa 3 bags"
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:45 AM   #36

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Oh, oh!! Roller skates with a 'key'! Had metal wheels and you slide them over your shoes and locked them down with the 'key' before you took off down the big hill. Of course, how many times did one of them fly off of your shoe and you took a header-- hopefully into someone's lawn........

Sheila
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:00 AM   #37

How about strapping 120v electric motors to your Radio Flyer wagon, rigging a v-belt drive to a wheel and then finding all the extension cords in the neighborhood in order to have wagon races in the driveway!
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:13 AM   #38

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Produce of all sorts used to be shipped to the local grocery stores in a variety of wooden crates when I was a kid. The neighborhood grocer would give us the crates to use as building material, to be used on all kinds of projects. Anyone remember wooden Orange crates, or the crates that grapes, plums, etc would arrive at the grocers in. In addition to making orange crate scooters with 2X4 boards and an old metal skate, I can recall my mom making an orange crate night stand for my brother and I, it was complete with blue paint, and a curtain in front. Used it to store my school books in a loooong time ago.

Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:17 PM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
The roller skate scooters were the best, we would paint them up and decorate them by nailing bottle caps in fancy patterns. Then there was the time I used a 1x4 fence board for the bottom, heading down a hill and it broke, was not pretty. Those were the days my friends!!
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:23 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshan View Post
You didn't mention the horrible toys we played with back then,

Metal Tonka trucks with sharp edges, and hot surface toys (vacuform/Creepy Crawlers) that taught you hot things were hot, they didn't even have warnings all over them. You got burned/cut once, shrugged it off and went back to playing, a bit wiser.
We would even break thermometers open and play around with the mercury in the palm of our hands and most of us are still all here now days break a thermometer in science class and they empty out the entire school and bring in haz-mat. Want to see a school shut down quick? Just find asbestos in the ceiling. Asbestos is only dangerous for the workers who install it (masks) I once worked in a theater as a projectionist and the entire projection booth was covered ceiling walls down to the floor with that stuff Im 77 and still around.(hack Hack).LOL
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:57 PM   #41

Yep how this old world is changing. But you know my grandad used to say the same thing when I was a youngin back in the Fifties. He would cuss those young whipper-snippers of today. The only time you watched TV was Sat night Hockey and you best be really quite. My alltime favorite was "Speedy" of Speedy alceseltzer, ma would call me in from the yard just so I could see it then rush back out to finish off the Indians as they attacked our FORT made out of any old pile of sticks we could put together.
MERRY CHRISTMAS was the cry of the day and trying real hard to be good and if you just couldn't, covering it up as best as you could.
Oh well "MERRY CHRISTMAS" TO YOU AND YOURS.
http://www.youtube.com/user/SeeMerryChristmas

Ron
Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:33 PM   #42

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
OMG you folks are OLD!

That's a joke BTW

mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote