Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2009, 01:51 PM   #1

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Limited availability

We visited a local GMC dealer yesterday to look at the new GMC Terrain. A nice vehicle actually. But the dealer had pasted on his own 'add-on' sticker which included among other things a $1,995 'limited availability' charge.

So here we have a new vehicle with no performance history debuting from a bankrupt manufacturer and the dealer sees fit to add almost $2K to the price because there aren't many available yet. Looks like business as usual where that approach didn't work so well last time.

Let me hasten to add that I know other dealers do it as well and that those charges can be negotiated. But really.....
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2009, 01:59 PM   #2

Whenever I walk onto a lot and see "dealer packs" on the vehicles, I keep on walking.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:10 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Now thats takes GUTS

Let's see..... Why are they in trouble??

Dick
Old 11-13-2009, 02:10 PM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Yep, that's the old 'Two Sticker Two Step'. I won't even pass the time of day with a dealer who uses this practice.
Old 11-13-2009, 03:24 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Let's be realistic, the dealers are in bigger trouble than GM. Honda and toyota did this for years, he's just trying to squeeze a little bigger profit on something he can sell.
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 05:18 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
I've never paid MSRP for a vehicle, let alone a price that includes "ADP" - additional dealer profit. As far as I'm concerned, that dealer just lost a potential sale if I were in the market for that vehicle. If the next fellow is willing to pay it, good on him!

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 05:36 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
I've never paid MSRP for a vehicle, let alone a price that includes "ADP" - additional dealer profit. As far as I'm concerned, that dealer just lost a potential sale if I were in the market for that vehicle. If the next fellow is willing to pay it, good on him!

Rusty

Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:46 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
"So here we have a new vehicle with no performance history debuting from a bankrupt manufacturer and the dealer sees fit to add almost $2K to the price because there aren't many available yet. Looks like business as usual where that approach didn't work so well last time."

So why again are you interested in this vehicle?

Jack
Jackm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 06:04 PM   #9

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackm View Post
So why again are you interested in this vehicle?

Jack
The vehicle seems well designed, is getting good reviews, and handles well. My issue is with the dealer. In our neck of the woods, dealers are few and far between. If we should decide on this model, we'll just have to drive a little further to another dealer with a more realistic business plan.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:21 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Maybe I'm missing something but switching dealers only eliminates one of your (valid) concerns. It would seem that you might be better off sticking with a proven product from a manufacturer that's in good financial shape. Just seems like a more sensible strategy to me.

Jack
Jackm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:33 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
They just don't get it. Went to get a new 09 Jeep with all the rebates from the MFG and dealer which were great price, but he only offered us half of the Wholesale value toward the trade of the 2 year old vehicle, less than $6,000.
Well we told the salesmen that there was something wrong he just said that's the best the sales manager could do.
Over the next 30 days I got a call at least once a week with new offers. The last offer was 100% wholesale as a trade, but the rebates would be less.
I'm looking at 2010's and the new vehicle is a want not a need and I no longer will do business with the dealer I used many times in the past.
This is the first time in 20 years that we did not by a new vehicle every other year.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 03:12 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just traded my Jeep on an HHR and when they gave me the best price, I told them good by and went home. In no time they were on the phone with a better offer. I then made them a counter offer I could live with, and they accepted. Don't mess with the old guy.!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-16-2009, 04:14 PM   #13
paz

The Chevy Equinox appears to be a similar vehicle. Maybe more of them are available and you can get an Equinox without the extra charge.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:41 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I've been debating about another vehicle as well and ran into similar tactics....it was almost funny. I had wanted to look at a VW Jetta TDI which is their new "clean diesel" and gets great fuel mileage.

The first dealer I talked to said they had to add on a charge since the cars were hard to get and they had to travel to get theirs from another dealership.

I laughed at his $ add on and told him C'ya, I'll go to another dealer and get mine too