Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2017, 05:33 PM   #1
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Looking for a simple Inventory Control program. UPDATE

I just need to be able to track by name, by group like brakes, electrical, etc would be nice as well. I need to be able have a location box as well but do not need to be able to look up by location. Pictures with it would be extremely helpful as well.

I just have way too much stuff on the shelfs in the garage and my mind just can not keep up with it any longer

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2017, 06:51 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have a file system on my laptop by category, engine, chassis, generator etc. Any information regarding the respective component is placed in the folder such as parts manuals, maintenance, etc. I have a separate for repair and parts. When I buy something I print a copy in PDF from and put it in a folder for future reference.

I also have an account with Quickserve of Cummins, lots of maintenance information there. Some of the more common problems I've printed the parts page in PDF form and stored in appropriate file folder.

I do have some spare parts, most of them in a large container in the basement compartment.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 08:27 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I know MS excel spreadsheet could be used for inventory purposes but not sure if it would be able to handle the attachment of photos. In a spreadsheet you would create columns for the various categories you would want to keep track of such as, description, bin location, grouping, supplier, quantity on hand, etc. You would have one row for each stock item. You could then filter and/or sort and any particular column to view say all your transmission parts (or any other grouping you have).

I'm sure there are specialty programs that would do all of this but I find Excel to be very versatile when it comes to dealing with tables of data.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Happy New Year to you.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:43 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Unless I'm misunderstanding about how the files would work I think I have too much for that to work. I've tried several times to make a spread sheet work but to no avail. A lot of the bigger bins contain small parts like knobs, switched, and seals etc from the past 45+ past years, yeah a big pack rat when it comes to new parts.

Thank you both for the ideas.

Old 01-01-2017, 08:51 PM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
I just need to be able to track by name, by group like brakes, electrical, etc would be nice as well. I need to be able have a location box as well but do not need to be able to look up by location. Pictures with it would be extremely helpful as well.

I just have way too much stuff on the shelfs in the garage and my mind just can not keep up with it any longer

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
Though I only used it for about 10 minutes, this appears to be free, and will handle images, locations and a host of other information. It might work for you.

http://almyta.com/abc_inventory_software.asp

FYI, you need to set and create a folder for your images (default=C:\AlmytaSystems\Images), then put images in there that MATCH the item number of the item, plus a -1 or -2 (for small or large image). For example, item # RV1234, small image name = RV1234-1.jpg (or other image format that it supports).

Not promoting it... just found it doing a quick search. It was pretty easy to use.
RCCFleetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 09:01 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have spreadsheets that are over 100,000 records in length by 20 or so columns wide and still quite manageable. I make extensive use of pivot tables in my workbooks and have yet to find a program that is as versatile as a spreadsheet.

By looking at your photos its hard to guess how many sku's you would have but OMG, no wonder your looking for a little bit of help in keeping track of what you got ! ! !
Old 01-01-2017, 09:09 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCFleetwood View Post
Though I only used it for about 10 minutes, this appears to be free, and will handle images, locations and a host of other information. It might work for you.

Free ABC Inventory Software Features

FYI, you need to set and create a folder for your images (default=C:\AlmytaSystems\Images), then put images in there that MATCH the item number of the item, plus a -1 or -2 (for small or large image). For example, item # RV1234, small image name = RV1234-1.jpg (or other image format that it supports).

Not promoting it... just found it doing a quick search. It was pretty easy to use.
I just went to the link and this looks like it would do what John is looking for (plus a whole lot more), good find RCCFleetwood.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:20 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you Ray I'll check that out later tonight it's not one I've seen before.

Jake I think you can guess how frustrating it is when you know you've got something but can not find it when you want it.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:26 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well make that tomorrow iPad using Safari will not down load it.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:42 AM   #10

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Well make that tomorrow iPad using Safari will not down load it.
Sorry... I was thinking Windows, as that's what I have here, did not think to ask what OS you were running. Not sure it's available for ipad or macs.
RCCFleetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 07:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarwiebe View Post
I have spreadsheets that are over 100,000 records in length by 20 or so columns wide and still quite manageable. I make extensive use of pivot tables in my workbooks and have yet to find a program that is as versatile as a spreadsheet.

By looking at your photos its hard to guess how many sku's you would have but OMG, no wonder your looking for a little bit of help in keeping track of what you got ! ! !
You are making the assumption that folks even know what a pivot table is, much less know how to use them

I'm getting a work flash back moment...... Do you want that sort by product by sales person, or by contract value by sales person, or by sales center by sales person by product, by contract value, by month? Or, how about.........?
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:34 AM   #12
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Excedrin time

Sorry about not mentioning the iPad I want to be able to use it when hanging from a ladder.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:08 AM   #13

Step One.. Call Goodwill and hand over everything not used this decade or century.
Step Two.. Put everything left in Notes on your IPad (you can attach pictures). If successful with step One, this should not take much time. ;-))

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:41 AM   #14
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That would be a very good idea except way too many of the parts are auto parts brand new in their boxes or sealed wrapped. Sometime soon I might get around to offering them for sale or might just burden my family with getting rid of them when I'm gone.

Tags
vent