Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2016, 02:10 PM   #15
WDW

I'm going to chime in and share I believe 90% of the 18 wheeler truckers drive responsibly. However i would suggest local truckers, especially dump truck driver are far more aggressive and careless.

Likewise, RV (more 5ers and A) that pass me running 62/64 and leave me in the dust must be "truckers" running with out their truck!

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH
2015 Jeep Roadmaster AT. tow bar with RVI2 supplemental.

Taking in the sight wherever our Trolley takes us...
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2016, 02:29 PM   #16
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
I'm going to chime in and share I believe 90% of the 18 wheeler truckers drive responsibly. However i would suggest local truckers, especially dump truck driver are far more aggressive and careless.

Likewise, RV (more 5ers and A) that pass me running 62/64 and leave me in the dust must be "truckers" running with out their truck!

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH
2015 Jeep Roadmaster AT. tow bar with RVI2 supplemental.

Taking in the sight wherever our Trolley takes us...
62 to 64 doesn't sound excessive! I drive 60, sometimes getting up to 65 going down hills, and I think that's probably about average!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 05:55 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
A baby. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Lori-
I have heard of one that was delivered by a truck driver! LOL
Old 10-11-2016, 06:29 PM   #18

My two cents

With increased need for truck drivers over the years, I think that companies are not as selective as they used to be. I'd say that about 80% of today's truck drivers know and appreciate the unique challenges involved in moving 20 - 60 tons down the highway that's infested with auto drivers who are dying to gain one car length on the highway or street. Auto drivers zigzag in and out and around trucks that are just trying to get home alive.

In addition, highway construction and maintenance has fallen behind the crowded nature of today's roads. HOW does a semi that's fully loaded (or a large motor home) enter a freeway safely when the entrance ramp is woefully too short? Rate of acceleration vs. distance allowed to get up to a proper speed is tough. Blending into the first lane when all 3 lanes are packed with cars and trucks is a situation designed for disaster.

I keep a careful eye on every semi and trailer that's passing me. Width of each does not allow much for a distracted driver. I've dodged many a truck that wants to share my lane when he/she is only half way past me.

Every one on the road needs knowledge, training, experience, and courtesy regardless of the vehicle they're driving.
Papawto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:48 PM   #19

American Coach Owners Club
I agree ! Buy I still have issues with Cars merging into Lanes from an on ramp if I can't move over I just cut them off ! talking on phones and texting - I've seen them all !
I guess they were never taught how to merge properly !
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:58 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
62 to 64 doesn't sound excessive! I drive 60, sometimes getting up to 65 going down hills, and I think that's probably about average!
I am pretty sure he means when he is traveling at 62 to 64 mph and the others are flying by him. Sometimes we need to read between the lines with posts.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:21 PM   #21
WDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
I am pretty sure he means when he is traveling at 62 to 64 mph and the others are flying by him. Sometimes we need to read between the lines with posts.

Correct! I'm doing 62ish and my fellow RVsrs are doing 70+++ in a 65 MPH zone.

Taking in the sights with our Trolley ...but life is always better under a Palm Tree

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH. - our Trolley
2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude

Western New York
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:06 PM   #22

We have been in the east bay near San Francisco for the last few months. The amount of trucks coming out of the port of Oakland in all directions is overwhelming the freeways. They are the ones with containers on trailers. We spent the year before that in Europe. I thought the trains system moved the freight there, but there are probably slightly more trucks on the road there than here. The truckers in Germany aren't allowed to drive on Sunday's.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:53 AM   #23
IC2

I don't know what increase in percentage of trucks there is over last year but it seemed to me as though I-40 had many more then last year. There was one line in Arizona of about a mile long that had only a couple cars in it but dozens of 18 wheelers. As far as being polite, I found on this just past trip most are with the possible exception of some bulk haulers in Utah that were going a LOT faster(crazy!!) then my 60-65mph, downhill through a couple mountain passes. Then there is that occasional Wild West FedEx triple
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 11:50 PM   #24

You think there are a lot of trucks in Alabama west of Birmingham, you ought to see all of the trucks south of Georgia heading north.

They've got all the produce coming out of Central America and the world's most incredible farms in South Florida.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:18 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Christmas its around the corner!!!
Jacobnino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 05:31 AM   #26

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
I agree about local dump trucks. Most dump trucks are paid by the load not by the hour so they tend to push it to make more money.
Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:54 PM   #27

Tugboat you're partly correct. The rates are cut so low that you have to hammer down to earn any kind of a living. Ask how I would know. Bin there done that.
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 11:24 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
Name one item that is not delivered by truck!
Motorhomes

Indiana to the west coast or to Florida is a bunch of miles on your brand new baby by somebody just making a delivery
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote