Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2012, 05:00 AM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
Lyme Disease Vaccine for Dogs

I'm taking Jack on Monday as I'm planning a trip to tick country. The research I've done makes me believe that it is a safe vaccine. I also trust my vet who thinks it's a good idea for him to have it.

Those of you who have already had your dogs vaccinated, have you had any problems? TIA for any information/guidance. I found this link to be credible. [URL="http://www.wbur.org/2012/06/27/lyme-vaccine"] (Please pardon, the link translator didn't seem to work--don't know what I did wrong.
HoboPals is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2012, 05:08 AM   #2

Atka has had both the shot series to no adverse affects. We are in NE PA and Lyme disease has been found in ticks on rabbits even.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:12 AM   #3

We have had 2 Samoyeds and both of them had Lymes. They never had a chance to get the shots. Our older guy died New Years day this year from cancer, but he had recovered from the Lymes after a major round of antibiotics. Our little girl got RMSF and almost died when she was 3 months old. She too was positive for Lymes. She dropped dead last month and I still believe it was from the damage done by the high fever from the RMSF.
We were living in Pa until 2 ears ago and the ticks there carry everything.
Our vet told us any tick can carry any of the diseases. Although the flea and tick medicines do kill them they still can attach and inject the bacteria/virus when the inject the anestetic so the bite isn't felt.
RMSF is more prevalent in the east then it is in the west.
We have 2 Sammy's now and they test free, but 3 that I have fostered that came from Pa. all tested positive.
There is a danger to the shots, but Lyme's is a debilitating disease and gets worse with age.
Charlie
Old 09-23-2012, 08:27 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
We give a monthly tablet that covers the gambit of fleas, ticks and heartworm. Not sure about the Lymes. Will have to ask the vet if it covers that also.
JOMARFL (FMCA 401058) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:37 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
We have both of our pound puppies done for lyme. No reaction from either of them. My neighbor who is a vet recommended they both get them becasue we travel. They both also got flu shots as the dog flu is around where we live. Better safe than sorry.
oldyoungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOMARFL (FMCA 401058) View Post
We give a monthly tablet that covers the gambit of fleas, ticks and heartworm. Not sure about the Lymes. Will have to ask the vet if it covers that also.
The pill does not prevent Lyme's. It just kills the fleas and ticks. As with all the preventatives, it only kills once the pests are on your pet.
Many folks have great results with the internal flea/tick pill, but I prefer the Advantage or Pet Armour. Heartworm pills once a month are definitely needed. Heartworm is on the increase in this country and the odds of a dog surviving treatment are very low.
Charlie
Old 09-23-2012, 10:27 AM   #7

http://www.dogchannel.com/dog-news/2...ntroduced.aspx
Old 09-23-2012, 11:02 AM   #8

No vacination is without risk, they all have side effects. read the comments on the limk above and read these too.
LYME--Vaccinate or Not? - Dog Chat - Dog Forums - I-Love-Dogs.com
Old 09-23-2012, 12:19 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slekjr View Post
We have had 2 Samoyeds and both of them had Lymes. They never had a chance to get the shots. Our older guy died New Years day this year from cancer, but he had recovered from the Lymes after a major round of antibiotics. Our little girl got RMSF and almost died when she was 3 months old. She too was positive for Lymes. She dropped dead last month and I still believe it was from the damage done by the high fever from the RMSF.
First, I'm very sorry for your loss. I know how traumatic it is. I lost my 13 year old to cancer two years ago, and it broke my heart.

Jack had a condition that could have been fatal, but with good internists and a great surgeon, he survived and is very healthy at 11 years, but still he's 11 years old so I'm trying to calculate the risk factor of the vaccine.

Quote:
We have 2 Sammy's now and they test free, but 3 that I have fostered that came from Pa. all tested positive.
I'm glad your two pups are testing three. Interesting that you're the second person who I've heard of from PA that says the state has a big infestation which negates what I've read--that the danger is in the south.
Quote:
There is a danger to the shots, but Lyme's is a debilitating disease and gets worse with age.
By danger, I assume you mean the normal risks associated with the vaccine? Thank you for your response, Charlie. I hope your pups remain happy and health for a very long time.
HoboPals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:32 PM   #10

The high rate that I mentioned is in the Scranton area of PA and is the general consensus of the vets in the area.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:05 PM   #11

We were North of Pittsburgh along the Allegheny. The ticks were everywhere. We had to check every time we came in. Now I go into the Rochester Pa area to watch trains (a hobby) and we always have ticks getting on us. we finally went to using OFF, and it is a big help.
Thanks for the condolences, It is tough to lose them, but it is tougher to let them die in a shelter wanting love. That is why we have two more. They will never replace Taffy and Tootsie, but they have their own special place in our hearts.
I was talking about the normal risks of vaccinations. I would have it done for my furkids. I just wanted you to know there is always a risk with vaccinations.
Charlie
Old 09-23-2012, 01:24 PM   #12
szy

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCooke View Post
Atka has had both the shot series to no adverse affects. We are in NE PA and Lyme disease has been found in ticks on rabbits even.
I have had the shots to no adverse effect --- they don't give them anymore ?
szy is offline   Reply With Quote